What's new

Why is Skarlet's combo timings so strict in comparison to everyone else?

Demoth

Noob
I don't want to sound like I'm complaining that the game is too hard, in general, because it isn't. The timing for a lot of combos does seem pretty odd for a lot of characters, but not too difficult to get down with a bit of practice. You can start to notice a pattern, and getting 30 to 35% combos off of most characters becomes pretty easy when you get the rhythm down.

Skarlet, however, feels WAY different than anyone else, like they decided that getting combos with her just shouldn't be possible, unless you have some of the most insane combo timing reflexes. I'm specifically talking about her combo 2,1,2 - 2,12, - 4,4 xx Cell Siphon. This combo is ridiculous with how meticulously it wants you to time every part of this combo. The second 2,1,2 requires VERY tight timing to not have you simply not have the first 2 come out, but wait too long and the character falls too far to be able to follow up with a 4,4. Furthermore, the 4,4 is also really twitchy on when you can input it to connect with a character, and this requires a completely different set of timing if the character you hit was jumping, or got a krushing blow from something like an uppercut. Doing a cell siphon cancel from a 4,4 is also really oddly timed, but at least once you learn what the game wants you to do, even if it doesn't feel like it makes sense, you can commit it to muscle memory.

The reason why I have such an issue with this combo is that it doesn't even do a full 30% unless you meter burn the cell siphon at the end, and cell siphon pulls the enemy closer to you, which isn't really where you want them to be, especially if they have really good start up attack strings that can be safe.

I spent maybe 5 minute swith both Kung Lao and Erron Black before pulling off some pretty easy 30% combos, that I can now even pull off online in the heat of the moment. Skarlet though? Her combo is almost impossible for me to get off correctly, and what's worse, this seems to be her highest damaging combo that even the best players have been consistently dropping when they take her into those tournaments.

The game is new, and I'm not demanding that things be changed yet; I just wanted to put it out there for anyone else who might have better insight into why Skarlet is giving me so much trouble when compared to other characters. I do well with her online, but I am basically just poking people, and zoning, the entire match, which seems to hinge on people not fully grasping how to do their rushdown.

The 212 combo isn't all that bad once you get the timing down. You can't just mash the combo when they're juggled, they have to be at the right gravity for both the second 212 and the 44.

HAMMER

Noob
Never really noticed. She's probably my favorite character right now. Maybe it's a way of helping balance that she is an objectively good character by increasing (slightly) the difficulty of connecting her combos.

She feels good though! Once I start to completed the rest of the Klassic Towers I'm going to start maining her!!

gitblame

Noob
Have they changed it since beta? I played Skarlet during stress test and little in beta and this combo was kinda easy to execute.

Have they changed it since beta? I played Skarlet during stress test and little in beta and this combo was kinda easy to execute.
Seems to be the same as beta to me.

Her 212 combo is actually really easy to pull off. You probably just need to practice the timing a bit more

The Celebrity

Professional Googler
lol this seems weird. I actually find Scarlet and that combo specifically one of the least execution-heavy and easy combos in the game.

I literally think the polar opposite of this entire post -- is it satirical?

If its serious -- I recommend just putting in the lab time, you can definitely get it down consistently.

I don't think it's hard. I mean sure you can fuck it up, but you can always just cancel the second string after 2,1 if the body dropped too low, so you don't lose out too much damage or end up punished for whiffing 4,4.
Just takes a bit of practice.

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
I don't want to sound like I'm complaining that the game is too hard, in general, because it isn't. The timing for a lot of combos does seem pretty odd for a lot of characters, but not too difficult to get down with a bit of practice. You can start to notice a pattern, and getting 30 to 35% combos off of most characters becomes pretty easy when you get the rhythm down.

Skarlet, however, feels WAY different than anyone else, like they decided that getting combos with her just shouldn't be possible, unless you have some of the most insane combo timing reflexes. I'm specifically talking about her combo 2,1,2 - 2,12, - 4,4 xx Cell Siphon. This combo is ridiculous with how meticulously it wants you to time every part of this combo. The second 2,1,2 requires VERY tight timing to not have you simply not have the first 2 come out, but wait too long and the character falls too far to be able to follow up with a 4,4. Furthermore, the 4,4 is also really twitchy on when you can input it to connect with a character, and this requires a completely different set of timing if the character you hit was jumping, or got a krushing blow from something like an uppercut. Doing a cell siphon cancel from a 4,4 is also really oddly timed, but at least once you learn what the game wants you to do, even if it doesn't feel like it makes sense, you can commit it to muscle memory.

The reason why I have such an issue with this combo is that it doesn't even do a full 30% unless you meter burn the cell siphon at the end, and cell siphon pulls the enemy closer to you, which isn't really where you want them to be, especially if they have really good start up attack strings that can be safe.

I spent maybe 5 minute swith both Kung Lao and Erron Black before pulling off some pretty easy 30% combos, that I can now even pull off online in the heat of the moment. Skarlet though? Her combo is almost impossible for me to get off correctly, and what's worse, this seems to be her highest damaging combo that even the best players have been consistently dropping when they take her into those tournaments.

The game is new, and I'm not demanding that things be changed yet; I just wanted to put it out there for anyone else who might have better insight into why Skarlet is giving me so much trouble when compared to other characters. I do well with her online, but I am basically just poking people, and zoning, the entire match, which seems to hinge on people not fully grasping how to do their rushdown.
I wouldn't play with Release Check on, but if you do, the 212 212 44 CS-amplified combo is pretty easy.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
If you think that combo is frustrating try Cassie’s xD some characters are easy to use and have very essy combos to hit Kinda lile Noob. Most FGs are like that. I think they do that to accommodate new players and give them a character they can practice with and get better without needing to hit perfect timing and execution all the time.

Crestie

Noob
For some reason, I struggled with the timing at first, too.

I can now do it consistently. You want to hit the second 2, 1, 2 as they start falling and as for the 4, 4 I actually look at the feet. They're a good indication. If they point at the ground, 4, 4 will whiff. Hopefully that made sense.