What's new

Why is Injustice 2's meta considered stale?

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
Would be curious to how many comments is "numerous". People talk a lot of shit inbetween news as always, but the tournament quality and amount of players online is still quite ample.

People are just "waiting for MKXI", which is a seriously bad habit that our community has turned into tradition. Even if they announce MKXI tomorrow, we'll still be playing IJ2 for another year.

Secondly, (and probably most significantly) a ton of NRS players are now DBZ players and it is easily the hottest game in the fgc right now. Even Street Fighter is having trouble staying relevant.

the hottest game is outviewed on twitch by the thousands currently and at any given moment by irrelvant sfv lul.

find a different excuse nrs players

AkioOf100

I play Raph
I personally think it's because people don't like to block, people don't like to play neutral, and people don't have patience. Even as a rushdown character, you have to download the counterpoke of your opponent, regardless of the fact that you're putting on the pressure. There are more mind games put into this game than any other game I've witnessed (which isn't really saying much, granted this is the first fighting game I've played but I've been an avid spectator of the MK series since MK9/IGAU).

When the strongest characters in the game are the ones who can control the (large) screen space the best and are rewarded the most for controlling that space, it becomes tedious to an extent because everybody seems to be playing the same game I guess? People want variety like Flash or Bane, characters who don't really care about controlling space. IDK, these are hunches.

I mean it's sorta evident in how people play the game outside of the highest level. (A lot of) People play Black Adam because he controls the neutral without ever really having to use normals thanks to black magic, dive kick, and low lightning. But, if the player finds themselves attempting to play neutral, they have a high chance to be successful bc of his great options in that close-mid range. Superman doesn't exactly control the whole screen at all times, but his buttons are so simple, fast, and safe that people gravitate towards that. And they don't even play neutral when they play him, imo.. they just want to pressure you because they think Superman is some scary up close pressure monster like atrocitus w/ dex-starr or something.

im just ranting.

tldr: people dont like the slow pace of the game and dont want to play neutral. a lot of characters play that game (a lot of the goods ones at least) and so ppl find themselves bored very often bc of it.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
The one thing that’s a constant is that people will find a reason to complain :)

“Too many patches, too few patches, this character needs immediate nerf, omg NRS he was nerfed too much, wait he wasn’t nerfed enough, too many characters are broke, the game is too balanced to be exciting, can’t we just support two games, can’t wait to drop the current game for the next one, the game needs more footsies, footsies/fundamental-based playstyle is too boring, etc”.

It’s a vast array of polar opposites, and it just shows that you can’t make everyone happy. So I think it’s high time we start ignoring the people who non-constructively complain about every single game, and just move forward without them.

Injustice 2’s life has been marked by some of the most exciting and evenly-contested tournaments we’ve seen to date; lots of extremely close sets at majors, tons of 3-2’s and nailbiters, very broad character representation, etc. It’s rightly an award-winning fighting game, and it’s something we shouldn’t take for granted.

We need to lose the ‘grass is greener’ mentality and just appreciate each game’s core for what it is. And to realize that the particular playstyle that appeals to you individually might be different from someone else’s. Overall, the complainers can keep being salty while everyone else will continue enjoying Injustice 2 and the second IPS.
If NRS didn't deliver I'd say you're just being a fanboy but since Injustice 2 is well designed enough for even me to acknowledge it, (being the harsh critic I am when it comes to design choices) you literally couldn't be any more correct about all of the above.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Broken rushdown gameplay is more exciting to watch than pretty balanced neutral based gameplay.
I absolutely disagree.

MKX was fun to watch early because it had all those fancy new moves for many characters and amazing visuals (for those who like photorealistic style anyway). And an illusion of toolboxy-ness of every move list which goes away the moment you realize the game doesn't work that way and most of those moves don't work for their perceived purposes either.

It lasted for like 4 hours to me, then I had to accept MKX for what it was. And some time later it has become norm for me to catch myself literally falling asleep watching MKX events. Like, I'm not even kidding.

After MKX I though I was done with NRS games for good, but it's exactly tight movement and seeing people actually whiff punishing normals with step+normal and how setups are spacing-dependent made me want to buy the game.

There was nothing exciting about watching an extended corner combo video which most of MKX tournaments were. People playing neutral that is more than a rock-paper-scissors-lizard-spock of full-screen options, on the other hand, is. To me at least.

I still think that some things are not very fun to play against in I2, but it still beats not having fun playing on a fundamental level.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
The NRS community is a joke because NRS games actually take the most time to play.
I'm not sure what that refers to, but if anything NRS games offer least time to play with them before another "great migration" of pro players.

And before we had these all-changing patches every several months. People here are accustomed to frequent small revolutions, so I2 is definitely "stale" by comparison :p

The thing is that injustice is not Mortal Kombat. I even hated Injustice before... Now that I gave it a chance... I gotta say that the game is very slow paced. and that is not gonna like everyone.... The game is like comparing Football Soccer with Basketball... Yeah it takes longer to score... But the score is more relevant. Such game is injustice... It is the Football Soccer of the fighting games:DOGE

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I don't find the meta stale, just the game got stale to play, personally. But I'm back to playing due to local scene getting some good shit. Plus getting my ass handed to me yesterday at our monthly lit a fire again.

Characters are getting some much-needed discovery as of late, like Beetle and Starfire. A lot of talk about these characters being really good, and people are showing out with them now, which is good. The more technical characters are starting to shine, and that last patch definitely helped out on some fronts.

TheGangstaFace

Psn, Xbox, Twitter: TheGangstaFace
I personally dont find myself having fun with any characters other than batman and i cant play 1 character for the whole games life. Shit got boring. Havent played almost at all in 6 months

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
I'm not sure what that refers to, but if anything NRS games offer least time to play with them before another "great migration" of pro players.

And before we had these all-changing patches every several months. People here are accustomed to frequent small revolutions, so I2 is definitely "stale" by comparison :p
Every nrs game is different while every Japanese fighter is the same. Even casuals can’t fuck with mk and that’s the real secret.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Every nrs game is different while every Japanese fighter is the same. Even casuals can’t fuck with mk and that’s the real secret.
Well, at this point I2 seems to be running on the same rails I1 was using. Changes to movement, stage sizes and re-evaluated cast ensure that games play very differently, but at this point they are no more different than any two GG releases, for example.
If we account for meta, I'd say that even late SF4 and SF5 are not unlike I1 and I2 in terms of how different they are.

Personal opinion: it isn't reassuring for me because that means MK11 can end up being the same pile of garbage FG philosophy MKX was. My apologies to everyone who likes MKX ofc, but that game doesn't sit well with me at all. It's really sad that I grew to like I2 more, even though I can't say I like everything about it.

All the characters have to be watered down because NRS refuses to make a real engine.
Ugh... Can you please elaborate on what you think doesn't make it into the game because of technical limitations of the engine?

Ugh, this thread gives me hives. HIVES.

Don't give the nobodies a platform to express their scrub, misinformed, nonconstructive MALARKEY on here what were you thinking?

Really? The meta's stale? Is that what they're saying now? That's very specific. Let them eat STALE cake is what I say!

I knew the run button would have long term consequences. You gave them an inch, NRS. Now they want the mile.

I'll put it this way, the people saying this wouldn't know what a "proper meta" was if they tasted it, chewed it, digested it, and defecated it OUT OF THEIR ASSES

Ugh, this thread gives me hives. HIVES.

Don't give the nobodies a platform to express their scrub, misinformed, nonconstructive MALARKEY on here what were you thinking?

Really? The meta's stale? Is that what they're saying now? That's very specific. Let them eat STALE cake is what I say!

I knew the run button would have long term consequences. You gave them an inch, NRS. Now they want the mile.

I'll put it this way, the people saying this wouldn't know what a "proper meta" was if they tasted it, chewed it, digested it, and defecated it OUT OF THEIR ASSES
Proper meta?

I think the meta is great. I do get bored playing the game, though. That has more to do with the execution. I just find combo construction and links in IJ2 to be really unsatisfying.
You may have the best argument in the whole thread. I never realized it until I played kof

D

Deleted member 58466

Personally I've never heard anyone complain about the meta. Maybe I should visit Twitter and TYM more?

Cursa

Counterpoke with armoured DB2 at all times.
I absolutely disagree.

MKX was fun to watch early because it had all those fancy new moves for many characters and amazing visuals (for those who like photorealistic style anyway). And an illusion of toolboxy-ness of every move list which goes away the moment you realize the game doesn't work that way and most of those moves don't work for their perceived purposes either.

There was nothing exciting about watching an extended corner combo video which most of MKX tournaments were. People playing neutral that is more than a rock-paper-scissors-lizard-spock of full-screen options, on the other hand, is. To me at least.
If you're a casual it is more exciting, which are the loudest voice in the room if we're talking about gameplay enjoyment. The people who post "Raiden is op" threads based on watching his first gameplay stream, and the ones who think that IJ2 matchup charts are filled with 8-2's because "My character gets spammed out the entire game"

The people who complain the most are the ones that create the stigma that Injustice 2 is boring and that MKX was the greatest fighting game of all time.