What's new

Why is Injustice 2's meta considered stale?

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
For me, it just isn't as exciting to watch or take part in anymore.

If they, hypothetically, were to make it like 1 tomorrow, I'd be all the way back in.
I liked the chaos, the absurdity, all the huge variables BESIDES background bounces, when interactables weren't just a nuisance, they were a much bigger factor in the meta overall, which made the stages in and of themselves more interesting and the choice between playing Power/Gadget/Acrobatic a life or death choice in some cases regardless of the bare MU. The characters themselves overall were more interesting, or maybe it was just because we'd never seen it before, and now seeing how everything's changed...except Flash, but he has no neutral from what i understand, so, y'know...like last time, the top tier is irritatingly high above par, but there isn't enough extra to make it worth it.
And I will gripe forever about how the point of the ENTIRE gear and stats system is rendered completely pointless if you want to play competitively. Even aesthetically, if you have a chosen favorite outfit, you can't take it to a tournament or be guaranteed itll be there, so that's lame. All the numbers, the stats, the gear moves, the whole thing, moot.

I hope it gets the MKXL treatment and they change everything, because there IS a great game in there somewhere. Part 1 in spite of Batgirl and MMH was fun until the end and this game looks infinitely better, so I do not want it to fail. It just isn't my slice of coffee cake as it exists now.

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
I don't think its an issue with the game. The issue is that people have become such tier whores that I am always fighting against the character of the moment. Aquamans, Batmans, Supergirls now firestorms. I barely get to play against other characters. We never see other good characters either because people are always listening to who the top players say are the new top tiers in order to hop on the bandwagon and we get more of the same.
I honestly don't know why this post has so many likes, tournaments have always been filled with top tiers in basically every game. That's just the nature of competing.

Online though I actually fight against a lot of different characters. I've fought my fair share of Cyborgs, Swamp Things and Jokers and I've only been on PS4 about a month

Wigy

There it is...
Issue is also that the game is so horrendously balanced on skill-execution.

So it's just the same characters using the same busted ass ez mode strategies.

Also I don't think the game is particularly balanced, better than old nrs games but still not great. Patches take forever then barely address the issues and the stupidity that makes you not want play like all the catwamens for like the first half of it's life.

Also by the over defensive nature of this game, it's just boring unless you're on a select few non top tier characters.

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
I honestly can' believe how people defend the Zoning play style. I don't care what anybody says. It does require less skill. All you need to do is learn the few projectile moves and keep the opponent away. No need for combos, set ups or anything else needed.
I honestly can' believe how people defend the rushdown play style. I don't care what anybody says. it does require less skill. All you need to do is learn the 50/50 and loop it until you kill your opponent. No need for spacing, patience or anything else needed.

I think a small but important difference in terms of hype between the two games boils down to execution and conversions--although I enjoy IJ2 more. In MKX, when you landed a awkward and unexpected hit on an aerial opponent, being able to follow up and convert in unique--and often difficult--ways after a split second run cancel was exciting. Combos in Injustice may be cool, but as a player, it gets pretty stale to feel so locked in to a specific easily executed high damage combo. Not that this point matters to me, but I know a few people who have mentioned this as a reason they no longer play. In short, conversions and offensive execution was more hype.

omooba

fear the moobs
honestly for me it was 100% the input errors. i still have the game installed but everytime i look at it i see superman's f2 as df2 and i just can't. so no necessarily a stale meta i just never got over that every time i played that i couldn't really punish stuff like in other games

Game is amazing to me, I don't know why people consider it stale.

Perhaps I should bring back my neutral series threads to enlighten people of how amazing the footsies in this game is. The walk speed was a godsend improvement from the last game, and the lack of dramatic changes from the patches is what most tournament players were complaining about since the dawn of MK9.

Everytime I hop on I learn something new. Game is just fun to play, this coming from a guy who consistently gets bodied by my training partners.

Cursa

Counterpoke with armoured DB2 at all times.
And I will gripe forever about how the point of the ENTIRE gear and stats system is rendered completely pointless if you want to play competitively. Even aesthetically, if you have a chosen favorite outfit, you can't take it to a tournament or be guaranteed itll be there, so that's lame. All the numbers, the stats, the gear moves, the whole thing, moot.

I hope it gets the MKXL treatment and they change everything, because there IS a great game in there somewhere. Part 1 in spite of Batgirl and MMH was fun until the end and this game looks infinitely better, so I do not want it to fail. It just isn't my slice of coffee cake as it exists now.
I think if there was no HP/Attack/Defense stats, and if all the abilities were actually balanced then I'd be up for this. On top of the fact I would like to be able to select abilities in training mode and in tournament regardless of whether or not I have them.

Some abilities are just broke though, like flat out. And probably pass on legendary gear abilities for tourneys too myself.

Edit - OK not too many are broke by themselves per say, but just that they fix some of the few weaknesses that a character has

Also, kinda unrelated to your post but I didn't want to make a new one, player matches, whenever I play non-competitive and can't find ranked, usually have quite a few players on them who are kinda decent but clearly don't play neutral all too great, but have selected characters with abilities that allow for them to just sort of mash buttons and still do alright. Seems to work out quite well that non-competitive play keeps casual players interested, even if they never move up to ranked/competitive play (no gear).

Last edited:

Bruno-NeoSpace

They see me zonin', they hatin'
This game feels fucking amazing to me. I just don't have time to play it :(

I've noticed that some people are waaaaayy too lazy... people dont wanna lab. lol . just want to rush the fucking down, land 50/50s, get some random wins and thats it... and also, the classic ''if my character isnt top = this game sucks''

trufenix

bye felicia
Would be curious to how many comments is "numerous". People talk a lot of shit inbetween news as always, but the tournament quality and amount of players online is still quite ample.

People are just "waiting for MKXI", which is a seriously bad habit that our community has turned into tradition. Even if they announce MKXI tomorrow, we'll still be playing IJ2 for another year.

Secondly, (and probably most significantly) a ton of NRS players are now DBZ players and it is easily the hottest game in the fgc right now. Even Street Fighter is having trouble staying relevant.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
The one thing that’s a constant is that people will find a reason to complain :)

“Too many patches, too few patches, this character needs immediate nerf, omg NRS he was nerfed too much, wait he wasn’t nerfed enough, too many characters are broke, the game is too balanced to be exciting, can’t we just support two games, can’t wait to drop the current game for the next one, the game needs more footsies, footsies/fundamental-based playstyle is too boring, etc”.

It’s a vast array of polar opposites, and it just shows that you can’t make everyone happy. So I think it’s high time we start ignoring the people who non-constructively complain about every single game, and just move forward without them.

Injustice 2’s life has been marked by some of the most exciting and evenly-contested tournaments we’ve seen to date; lots of extremely close sets at majors, tons of 3-2’s and nailbiters, very broad character representation, etc. It’s rightly an award-winning fighting game, and it’s something we shouldn’t take for granted.

We need to lose the ‘grass is greener’ mentality and just appreciate each game’s core for what it is. And to realize that the particular playstyle that appeals to you individually might be different from someone else’s. Overall, the complainers can keep being salty while everyone else will continue enjoying Injustice 2 and the second IPS.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
i don't think the game is stale at all, just the opposite in fact, a lot of characters on the roster are pretty viable in this game and most of the problem stuff has been patched out, the game is in a really good state and the only thing that really needs to change are a few character tweaks and some buffs to the characters that need em like cold, raiden, tmnt etc.

Would be curious to how many comments is "numerous". People talk a lot of shit inbetween news as always, but the tournament quality and amount of players online is still quite ample.

People are just "waiting for MKXI", which is a seriously bad habit that our community has turned into tradition. Even if they announce MKXI tomorrow, we'll still be playing IJ2 for another year.

Secondly, (and probably most significantly) a ton of NRS players are now DBZ players and it is easily the hottest game in the fgc right now. Even Street Fighter is having trouble staying relevant.
Sfv having trouble staying relevant is so false. Sfv has had more entrants and viewers in every tournament this year so far, even for final round grand finals in dbz between go1 vs sonicfox sfv still had like 20,000 more viewers in grand finals. And dbz is only a couple months old while sfv is almost 3 years old, for sfv to still have more entrants and viewers then you’re statement is really wrong. I have nothing against dbz or people who prefer it, but as numbers have proved, dbz as new hype game can’t even keep up with a 3 year old sfv.

Last edited:

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
I don't know why people go on about nerfing vs buffing, like ever since that one youtube video came out about it people keep saying that. I get the idea, that sometimes it's better to buff then nerf because you take away options when you nerf. But people act like it was a bad thing that prepatch Black Adam's insane damage was nerfed and that they should have buffed the rest of the cast to compensate.

Cursa

Counterpoke with armoured DB2 at all times.
I don't know why people go on about nerfing vs buffing, like ever since that one youtube video came out about it people keep saying that. I get the idea, that sometimes it's better to buff then nerf because you take away options when you nerf. But people act like it was a bad thing that prepatch Black Adam's insane damage was nerfed and that they should have buffed the rest of the cast to compensate.
Yeah, it's just about finding where that line is and trying to get all characters on that "line".

"Balanced roster" doesn't necessarily equate to good game, because IJ2 would be pretty shite I think if everyone did release day Bladam damage, for example.