What's new

Question - Mystic Why is he so good?

i mained emac in mk9 and loved him there but for whatever reason in mkx he feels so weird to me can somebody explain to me what makes him so good and why he is top 5? Only reason I'm aware of is push but there's gotta be more

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
He's got on of the best armored moves in the game. He has safe mixups that can be made unsafe for more damage if the player wants to do that. Fantastic anti-air with D4. Good buttons. Great frames on his buttons/strings making his stagger game really good. Decent Meterless damage which makes him have more meter for his absurdly stupid armor.

He's got on of the best armored moves in the game. He has safe mixups that can be made unsafe for more damage if the player wants to do that. Fantastic anti-air with D4. Good buttons. Great frames on his buttons/strings making his stagger game really good. Decent Meterless damage which makes him have more meter for his absurdly stupid armor.
Hmmm maybe I should look into him again then, I planned to main him and jax like I did in the previous game but when I tried I was just like nope haha thank you! I should hit up a guide

Hmmm maybe I should look into him again then, I planned to main him and jax like I did in the previous game but when I tried I was just like nope haha thank you! I should hit up a guide
Ragnarok's We Are Many guide, while outdated, is a great reference point to look at. The only thing that's really outdated is the combo section and the frame data on some of his moves.

Basically a summary.

1)Ermac has some of the most consistent & strong Anti Air tools in the game. All of which lead to full combo.

2) He's equipped with fast pokes, and a D3 that can low profile under D1's and some mids.

3) His meterless damage is high enough that he almost never has to spend meter during combos.

4) He has a safe, fast launching mid with F3 that can be staggered, cancelled, or followed up into an Overhead String that breaks some single hitting armor reversals.

5) His Jump normals are among the best in the game and make him extremely difficult to be Anti Aired by the opponent.

6) Every variation of Ermac in some way can manipulate the neutral and limit his opponent's options.

A) Master of Souls: Instant Air Soul Ball (Safe from certain heights/distances)
B) Mystic: Threat of Push & Ex Push
C) Spectral: Instant Air Soul Charge, Soul Ascension & "Instant Air" Ground Pounds.

7) Ermac builds meter better than a chunk of the roster. Which when combined with high meterless damage, means he generally always has a bar for Reversals or is working on 2 for Breakers.

gibster13

A fan of fans
He has an insane list of buttons that are pretty much all of worth. Looking down his move list there are only the odd move that can't be used at some point. It's the same with his specials.

Other characters use the bare minimum of what they are given to get by, whereas Ermac has an answer for almost everything.

@CrazyFingers Brings up the point of his godlike d4. Only certain characters can handle and AA when an opponent just jumps out of the corner. Take predator or Bo who have to time a d1 to utter perfection, where as Ermac can d4 with little risk factor because his hurtbox is reduced.

His Ex push is really good but slightly overhyped imo (although it is probs one of the best)

Staggers are quite a large part of this game, and Ermac has an abundance of them

omooba

fear the moobs
Ermac has an answer for almost everything.
ermac is one of the few characters whose fastest button they can combo off of is 9 frames meaning there's a bunch of stuff that most people punish easily and he either can't punish or it's extremely tight for example alien's tail flip is -10 so for the most part alien still has safe 50/50's against ermac unless the ermac player is a god. sooo no not an answer for everything

DC4-3

Low tier button masher.
7) Ermac builds meter better than a chunk of the roster. Which when combined with high meterless damage, means he generally always has a bar for Reversals or is working on 2 for Breakers.
This is what I find one of the most annoying things about Mystic. Either I punished him for doing something unsafe, or I caught him in auto pilot trying to zone me out they have the bar to break it. Then you're back to square one.

Temjiin

www.mkxframedata.com
What's his safe low option? B3 is only safe when cancelled into EX blast across all variations unless I'm missing something?

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
I don't think anyone's mentioned how dangerous he is if he's got you in the corner with a bar. Always gotta be ready for a stagger into instant-air ex blast into full combo. Even then, you still have to worry about a stagger into the low b321. Kind of a nightmare hehe.

eexcaliburr

Ancestors... oh, nevermind
Don't get it, his b3 is 13-frame low move, have -4 on block, it's fast and safe. Am I missing something?

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
Don't get it, his b3 is 13-frame low move, have -4 on block, it's fast and safe. Am I missing something?
It doesn't lead to anything safe on block. B321, b34 are full combo punishable. And I know that the in-game frame data says b321 is +2 on block but it's false. Only the b32 will come out on block. His only safe mixup string is the overhead f43.

Soul Caliber, Tekken, Mortal Kombat, and SF.
50/50 is what makes him good. Without them, he wouldn't be able to walk back to the top.