What's new

General/Other - Kitana Why is exfan rc d1 fan so needlessly difficult?

Kaymai

inside of this girl is a beast
so since Thursday I've been trying to learn this character in time for the patch and the one thing that I feel is holding me back the most is performing any combo that uses exfan rc d1 fan. I've never spent so much time trying to learn one combo before. I used to do rain uppercut combos in mk9 and evil ryu one frame links in usf4. There's never been a combo that has troubled me and given me so much physical pain as this one.

I know that you're supposed to input run what she holds her hand up towards the end of the ex fan animation but even then I either get the run and a whiffed d1, or a standing fan toss. I'm probably able to land this combo 1/20 times. Oddly enough when I'm on player two side it probably increases to about 1/10 times. I've tried this on pad and arcade stick and maybe my hand and thumb just isn't able to to do inputs away from me as easily as inputs towards me.

Is there some trick to this execution that I just don't know about? I really wished NRS has just gotten rid of the useless flip stance button and had a run button. If I just had to press towards and instead of towards twice plus block it would make immediately doing a d1 into fan much easier but that's just not the game they've made. If I can't perform this combo when I need to should I just give up on the character?

Admired

Noob
I've been playing her for over a year and I still drop it sometimes. If her d1 had just a little more range, we wouldn't even need to run cancel. As far as tips go, just practice on b14, ex fan, rc d1. once you are connecting the d1 with the opponent consistently, then try and do b14, ex fan, rc d1 fan. It will take a lot of practice but you'll get the muscle memory down.

I should mention that if you're close enough to the opponent, b3 ex fan d1 fan connects without you needing to run cancel, making execution much easier. From mid screen, I often do a cross over jip into b3 ex fans to catch people off guard.

Kaymai

Practice. I get it easily. Its way easier than other stuff in this game.
I've practiced till my hands hurt. I'm gonna keep keep trying but there's never been a character so difficult for me to execut with.

gam224

The world's least hype player
The reason this is hard to many people is because ex fans takes a while for the animation to end. Do yourself a favor and throw ex fans the just hold up. Right as kitana puts her right foot down you are able to move completely freely. Input run before this. It will take practice

Gengar

Hypnosis > Dreameater (its a reset)
Are people trying to cancel out of the 2nd fan or is this just about running in and doing d1 after the 2nd fan is thrown?

Temetias

"MKX kid"
Maybe try to use b3 into ex fans into d1. Still a low starter for ex fans into d1 but it doesn't require a run cancel.
This. b14-exFan requires a run cancel and the low in it is reactable. b3-exFan starts straight with the low and is easier to execute. Yes, b14 has it's purposes but I really prefer the b3 starter as it's much more reliable.

I have noticed that is a bit easier to land.
I thought id never get the b14, ex fans , rc but I kept practicing and can do it fairly consistently now, just keep at, ull get there. And b3 is an easier starter than b14 but doesn't give u optimal damage.

With the db2 float cancel, u have heaps of options now where u can effectively use the b3. Some suggestions:
-F112, dp, float cancel, jip, b3, ex fans or lift (be careful with this since it's unsafe)
-B14, dp, float cancel, jip, b3...same as above
- B3, "" "" "" "" ( as above)

Kaymai

I thought id never get the b14, ex fans , rc but I kept practicing and can do it fairly consistently now, just keep at, ull get there. And b3 is an easier starter than b14 but doesn't give u optimal damage.

With the db2 float cancel, u have heaps of options now where u can effectively use the b3. Some suggestions:
-F112, dp, float cancel, jip, b3, ex fans or lift (be careful with this since it's unsafe)

I think I've gotten to a point now where I'm able to get it one out of every 4 attempts so I'm getting it better now. It really helps to hear the audio que when kitana says something that sounds like torpedo and that's when I can do the run. I've also started refraining from doing a quarter circle for fans and just tapping down and then forward. Seems to work better doing that off the d1.

Kaymai

You know what now that you mention it that is actually a great idea. She's like a street fighter 4 character. She can FADC her dragon punch. I actually don't see why you wouldn't want to do that all the time.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I've practiced till my hands hurt. I'm gonna keep keep trying but there's never been a character so difficult for me to execut with.
The trick is getting the motion down with your hand, and then adjusting times between moves gradually.

Rozalin1780

Good? Bad? I'm the one with the fans
I've also started refraining from doing a quarter circle for fans and just tapping down and then forward. Seems to work better doing that off the d1.
I also do this. I actually press D1F1 for D1 fan toss with input shortcuts on. Works much better than the QCF1 does.

You know what now that you mention it that is actually a great idea. She's like a street fighter 4 character. She can FADC her dragon punch. I actually don't see why you wouldn't want to do that all the time.
Also, I just remembered. Because the gap to rc is very tight, wait for her leg to come down during the ex fans animation and then rc , like literally as soon as her leg touches the ground. This is the cue i use to do the rc. Works pretty well.

Kaymai

Also, I just remembered. Because the gap to rc is very tight, wait for her leg to come down during the ex fans animation and then rc , like literally as soon as her leg touches the ground. This is the cue i use to do the rc. Works pretty well.

I'm getting it more now and the last few times in matches I had a chance to do b12 ex df1 I got the whole combo. However, now I'm starting to do all of my starter strings into db2 and just fadc it since if it hits I'll do forward 3 Air fans and continue the combo or if it's blocked just fadc forward 2 into a safe string or stagger and continue thepressure. I actually think this is probably the best way to player her up close now by just utilizing the new tool she has the way we used to use two bars in street fighter 4 to make a dp safe and confirm into whatever.

Cashual

PSN: Cansuela
Maybe this is obvious to everyone but I just want to point out that in punish situations where 11exfan is the plan, no run cancel is necessary you can just d1 fan jik whatever. I never knew that, and was always run cancelling after 11exfan when I didn't need to. It did make the rc after b14 ez pz though haha.

Playing this character has made run cancels in general an after thought for me, I drop it maybe 1 or 2x out of ten.

I suggest using the option for online lag in practice mode so it'll be easier to take online.

Also, as has been said the input shortcuts for kitana are nice. I always use rc, d1xxf1 and it always comes out.