What's new

Why is Dr Fate top 3 now?

Lex Luthor II

Lord of Lightning
title^

I have not run into any Dr Fates online in like months. What about him makes him that good, I want to try him, but what is it, spam fireball, his f2 db2? unblockable bolt from heaven ankh thing?

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
As I understand it, he had the biggest benefit from the nerfs against the top tiers. His bad MUs stopped being bad and his good MUs got better.

As for his tools, I'm not a Fate player. I know he can do a lot of damage in the corner and with proper usage of the orb, he dominates the full screen between the orb wall, ankhs and projectiles.

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
Top 3? Not quite. To be there, I'd say you need very few (if any) losing MUs.
Fate is most likely top 10 for the following reasons:

1. Safety behind Glyph and red ankhs.
  2. Amun Ra Blast being so good; Displacer Orb controlling space so well.
  3. F2 being a reliable mid that can hit-confirm into trait combos.
  4. B2 as an AA.
  5. Being able to MB the Orb to stop it is quite a big deal in some MUs.
If it weren't for Atom, Harley, Hellboy, WoWo, Black Adam, and Superman paddling his ass like Catholic sisters, I'd put him there.

Eldagrin

Add me on PS4 if you want to play some games

4. B2 as an AA.
If it weren't for Atom, Harley, Hellboy, WoWo, Black Adam, and Superman paddling his ass like Catholic sisters, I'd put him there.
I’ve always found that Harley doesn’t do very well against Fate, but maybe I’ve been playing it wrong?

Bruno-NeoSpace

They see me zonin', they hatin'

4. B2 as an AA.
Superman is his only one bad MU.

Cursa

Counterpoke with armoured DB2 at all times.
Atom gives him trouble I'd say, Atom's trait is instant control of the neutral and teleport is useful af.

Cursa

Best zoner in the game
Great footsie tools in F2 and DB2
Trait is one of the best in the game which gives him combos, block pressure, more chip damage, and makes him safer. Fantastic meterless damage if he has even one ankh up.
Great wakeup.
Great anti-air.
And a pretty chunky amount of winning MU's with not a whole lot of losings. And even his losing ones are usually not that bad compared to some other 6-4's, and could be argued as being just 5-5's

I'd say top 5 pretty easily. Best zoner with a great neutral in a game where zoning and neutral is pretty strong.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord

4. B2 as an AA.
He beats Harley... and Wonder Woman is even IMO

Laos_boy

Meow Hoes
He just dominate some characters but not like Deadshot.

I've also played play fate for a while to learn his weaknesses he doesn't have many.

His up close game is average but having a 6f d1 is a big deal and when he's in trait his average up close game become good. But his zoning really makes up for his average up close game.

But to decide tier position we turn to MUs
He has a bunch of winning MU
A decent amount of even
And a handful of losing

His losing MUs imo are:
Superman
Beetle : could be 5/5 but deoxys says he wins and I can see why.

But I've also heard
Cheetah and swamp thing do well against him.

Cursa

He just dominate some characters but not like Deadshot.

I've also played play fate for a while to learn his weaknesses he doesn't have many.

His up close game is average but having a 6f d1 is a big deal and when he's in trait his average up close game become good. But his zoning really makes up for his average up close game.

But to decide tier position we turn to MUs
He has a bunch of winning MU
A decent amount of even
And a handful of losing

His losing MUs imo are:
Superman
Beetle : could be 5/5 but deoxys says he wins and I can see why.

But I've also heard
Cheetah and swamp thing do well against him.
I can see Cheetah doing well due to how her leap works vs Fate's projectiles. Not sure about Swamp Thing, I'm guessing BF3 goes under orb or something like that.
Also you can blow up Fate's wakeup pretty consistently with practice, I find it one of the easier ones to do so on, at least in practice mode thus far, never bothered to do so before. Obviously different in a tournament setting yadayada but it's an option that exists.

Lex Luthor II

Lord of Lightning
Best zoner in the game
Great footsie tools in F2 and DB2
Trait is one of the best in the game which gives him combos, block pressure, more chip damage, and makes him safer. Fantastic meterless damage if he has even one ankh up.
Great wakeup.
Great anti-air.
And a pretty chunky amount of winning MU's with not a whole lot of losings. And even his losing ones are usually not that bad compared to some other 6-4's, and could be argued as being just 5-5's

I'd say top 5 pretty easily. Best zoner with a great neutral in a game where zoning and neutral is pretty strong.
What is the deal with his ankh, I have read the forums and am still totally in the dark about how to use that in a match- which combos do you speak of, do you know off the top of your head?

I want to try him because I've never tried zoners before

Ram

Buluc Chabtan
I kinda feel like Cyborg beats him, too. Maybe 5.5-4.5 or maybe 6-4, but I do think Cyborg has the advantage.

BurdaA

Frost-Byte
What is the deal with his ankh, I have read the forums and am still totally in the dark about how to use that in a match- which combos do you speak of, do you know off the top of your head?

If you catch them with a b2 aa at reasonable height cancel into trait, df1, df3 (traited ankh drop) f3, ender of choice.

If trait’s already active, a few of his strings combo’d into df1,df3, will do the same thing.

You can also b12 trait cancel df1mb df3 for some swag if you’ve got the bar.

Real healthy dami on all of these. Don’t really play any more, but I used to do something like this (iirc) for swag if I had 3 ankhs and 2 expendable bars.
B12(trait cancel)df1mb,df3(3ankh drop) db3(summon) d1db2mb jf2,2113df3,f2db2 can’t remember exactly sorry.

Great damage and hella swag. This guy Brainiac and Grodd were my only loves in this game, and Fate is definitely the most solid of those 3 by a country mile.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way

4. B2 as an AA.
He mops Harley imo

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends

4. B2 as an AA.
Black Adam is not a problem matchup for him. It's apparently the opposite.

Kotal_Wannabe

AKA AndyPandy

4. B2 as an AA.
Harley actually gets anally invaded by fate, why would you write that? I agreed with most of what you said till I saw the matchups you thought fate loses to.

His j3 needs to be talked about.

The active frames on it are insane. He can jump and almost immediately do it to the point no one can actually react for an anti-air and it will STILL be plus on block as he lands. Any attempt to AA is just going to be a trade and trading with a j3 to a d2 means you lose.

Cursa

They're a little weird to get used to and can be difficult to capitalise on in weird situations, but they grant him fantastic meterless damage back to fullscreen zoning. They're also kind of weird to type out, Pig of the Hut had a video with Bdon awhile back that showed a bunch of ankh combos. I don't know if they're optimal but you'll get the idea.

Because even when Black Canary's d3 can low profile his F2, she still loses. The character who can easily deal with his best mid loses the matchup, what can other characters do?

EMPEROR_KNICKS

Master of Kombat(frauds)
fate is top 5 free , idk about top 3 but top 5 for sure, the only fate who plays him right is theo imo, most fates think that ba is bad or 5-5 but ppl like ominous dragon rewind all think fate bops adam, theo bodies theme and plays the mu mad good, same in other mus, theo only thinks fate has like less than 5 losing mus.

Lex Luthor II

Lord of Lightning
They're a little weird to get used to and can be difficult to capitalise on in weird situations, but they grant him fantastic meterless damage back to fullscreen zoning. They're also kind of weird to type out, Pig of the Hut had a video with Bdon awhile back that showed a bunch of ankh combos. I don't know if they're optimal but you'll get the idea.
Yeah I just tried some recently, labbing. Seems like a good way to create some pressure and get some free combo without bar (even though he builds meter like crazy). My only problem is the ankh is most useful with trait, which is not always available... but i guess thats the whole i idea, if they get close enough whip it out, send them full screen, keep them away, and by the time they get back or you want to go in you have trait again.