What's new

Why is CW's mix always a subject of discussion?

People always talk about CW as a really mix heavy character. As much as I LOVE 1f2, I don't often see people (myself included) using the 2d2 string as the 50/50, considering as though they're near impossible to distinguish in the moment. Whenever I've watched or played against Starcharger, Rewind, Semiij, etc., I've almost never seen them use it except for the occasional use for the +1 of 2d2. Otherwise, I don't think CW has an outrageous mix, I think her buttons and safety are amazing. Any thoughts?

The problem is you're seeing mix as binary 50/50 low/OH guesses. Staggers are a form of mix, and she has the best stagger game in the entire game.
Fair enough, still used to MKX I guess. Her staggers are pretty good, but I feel like if you play against someone who know's the matchup, you can't just press braindead buttons and expect to open up.

No she doesn't. I thought this was figured out month 1
How do you figure?? most parts of f1123 are staggerable/can get a free armored b3 after, s33 is fantastic, 1f2 is +2 and 2d2 is +1, and MB trait is +5 and can be added on to any cancellable string. B2 is long reaching mid and 0 on block, and b2 whip is -4 with pushback. Pretty good pressure/stagger game in my opinion

TamedLizard

Buff George
2D2 just complements 1F2 better in the corner than anywhere else imo since it can be hit confirmed into CS1, and being +1 midscreen for her isn't that big of a deal.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
No she doesn't. I thought this was figured out month 1

Not commenting on her stagger game, just the comment.. a lot of shit was figured out month 1 and since has been proven t-totally-goddamn-wrong. So that isn't much of an argument in any direction.

Again, I'm not saying her stagger game is good, bad, terrible or godly.

Chernyy Volk

Wolf lord, footsie bully, chronic corner abuser.
Fair enough, still used to MKX I guess. Her staggers are pretty good, but I feel like if you play against someone who know's the matchup, you can't just press braindead buttons and expect to open up.
Have you not watched Semijj versus anybody but Rewind? It sure looks like he does that all day long.

Rex24

There are no bad seeds, only bad men
Not commenting on her stagger game, just the comment.. a lot of shit was figured out month 1 and since has been proven t-totally-goddamn-wrong. So that isn't much of an argument in any direction.

Again, I'm not saying her stagger game is good, bad, terrible or godly.
Her staggers are amazing, but not broken imo.

Wolverine32

PSN: ADM_Wolverine
2D2 just complements 1F2 better in the corner than anywhere else imo since it can be hit confirmed into CS1, and being +1 midscreen for her isn't that big of a deal.
If you confirm into 2d21 though she gets a full combo with b3 midscreen. And it’s only -7 so some characters can’t punish that. It’s something that doesn’t get used enough. Especially if only thrown out once our twice a set, it’s almost guaranteed to hit since everyone fears the overhead more for whatever reason.

Rex24

If you confirm into 2d21 though she gets a full combo with b3 midscreen. And it’s only -7 so some characters can’t punish that. It’s something that doesn’t get used enough. Especially if only thrown out once our twice a set, it’s almost guaranteed to hit since everyone fears the overhead more for whatever reason.
That’s the mistake imo, you should generally block low against her. Her only overhead launcher is 33b2 and you can backdash that, I’d rather eat 1f2 than a full 2d21 to a 41 meterless combo

TamedLizard

Buff George
True, but you don't need to risk the -7 at all in the corner. I do agree it's underutilized. You'd likely see it used more if 1F2 is made like -5. Removes the pressure utility of the string so it's main purpose would be conditioning for 2D21/2D2~CS1. Or as the classic juicy ender, ofc.

Chernyy Volk

Wolf lord, footsie bully, chronic corner abuser.
Very. What's your problem? Did you not know mb b3 had armor on it, or that it low profiles? It's been 6 months, eventually you have to learn to block.
Those things aren't what I think most people dislike about her at high level.

Error

DF2+R2
Very. What's your problem? Did you not know mb b3 had armor on it, or that it low profiles? It's been 6 months, eventually you have to learn to block.
When you're taking your turn and your mids and overheads whiff, just block lol.
When you block a b3 and she goes for another one just block lol.
When she low profiles your mb b3/f3 and punishes you, just block lol.
It's not like giving up your turn and having to give CW more respect than usual is bad or anything.

In other news, just don't get hit by Cyrax net is great advice.

foxof42

Thanksgiving corner game, going ham and stuffing
A completely safe, largely uncontestable counterpoke that can be shotgunned back to back is a far cry from ok. "Just block" is not a valid excuse. If you become too respectful of her MB B3, you essentially make it known to the CW player that they can do whatever they want to you. At least with metas like Mileena's ball roll there was risk/reward involved.

Just because you "learn to block" doesn't mean you get anything out of it - you let them burn one of their bars. That's it.

thlityoursloat

kick kick
A completely safe, largely uncontestable counterpoke that can be shotgunned back to back is a far cry from ok. "Just block" is not a valid excuse. If you become too respectful of her MB B3, you essentially make it known to the CW player that they can do whatever they want to you. At least with metas like Mileena's ball roll there was risk/reward involved.

Just because you "learn to block" doesn't mean you get anything out of it - you let them burn one of their bars. That's it.
which, means fuck all since she has several meterless launchers anyways.

I played catwoman in injustice 1 and decided on someone new in IJ2. I played supergirl for a while then Black Canary but gravitated back to catwoman because her playstyle is so fun and her walk speed increase is a godsend. I'm not as actively involved in the community as I was back in mk9 or even injustice 1 days so can someone give me the bullet points as to why she is considered top in this game? I mean I know her staggers are strong, good damage, low profile etc. Is it just the combination of those things?

Rex24

I played catwoman in injustice 1 and decided on someone new in IJ2. I played supergirl for a while then Black Canary but gravitated back to catwoman because her playstyle is so fun and her walk speed increase is a godsend. I'm not as actively involved in the community as I was back in mk9 or even injustice 1 days so can someone give me the bullet points as to why she is considered top in this game? I mean I know her staggers are strong, good damage, low profile etc. Is it just the combination of those things?
Low profiling was always a part of her design, her back3 was exactly the same in injustice 1, yet she was considered low tier in that game because it had other broken af characters, I think the only thing people consider top tier about her is her b3 low profiling and that honestly probably will not change. Think about the nerfs she already has received since ij1: armor removed from catdash, f1 is not an overhead, f3 is not a double hitting overhead, trait damage reduced, j2 arc, damage scaling after up whip, cat stance 1 not safe, safe cat claws launcher removed, trait is not an invincible wake up, 1f2 not a hard knock down. Now think about the buff she received since injustice 1: walk speed like someone on cocaine. Changing her frame data is not going to make things much better. Atom is a character designed to low profile things, people will start crying about that as well. All this complains will probably result in huge nerfed damage and she will be trash just like deadshot and aquaman. With other top tiers like Black Adam unchanged , there will be a new broken character and this cycle will continue. NRS needs to find a balance while nerfing characters, and TYM community needs to stop crying about every single strong move of any character. This results in either overbuff or overnerf and it has been a pattern since the first game

TamedLizard

Buff George
  • Excellent neutral/footsies
  • Numerous hit confirmable meterless launchers all leading to massive damage and juicy oki
  • Fantastic jump normals (J1 is underrated tbh, neatly complements J2)
  • Low profiling B3 that is also fastest B3 in the game
  • Seemingly unlimited safety
  • Plus on block 50/50 oki
  • Wonderful backdash
  • Godlike meter build
  • Top notch staggers
  • Solid wake-up and solid anti airs/air to airs
  • Also worth mentioning that D2, D3, and CS pack the ability to low profile just as well as B3.