What's new

Why has mk11 lasted for 2 years?

Ashesfall

"Feel the wrath of Shao Kahn"
I really enjoy MK11 but i also dont play so much in general. (maybe this helps?)
MK9 was ok but the animations back than already held me back (ugly stiff + the main reason I skipped all 3D games, 10/10 in ugly animations ...) + never really liked the gameplay (too much "broken" stuff) + no real online game = dying game to me.
MKXL was nice but I am personally not a fan of the run mechanic.

MK11 has not much to complain to me, maybe it could have a little bit more gameplay options.
For example when Tekken7 only had RageArt (kinda like FatalBlow) it felt "dry" but when they added RageDrive the hole system got so much more interesting and dynamic.

So far MK11 has great single-player content (best in all FGs I have played since SF2 on snes)
The online league is super fun. I really like it how it is getting a reset, the fun always begins again. (A huge factor to the threads question) In addition, we get nice loot (new Brutals, such a high motivation for me).
The Netcode is fantastic, I can do all stuff I do in practice mode.
(There is only one thing I really want them to add, a *Wi-Fi filter/decline option. (even Tekken7 did this recently, pls NRS))

When they added input buffer (less random/luck) and opened up the variation system, I really started to like the gameplay even more.

I hope to see more adjustments to the fighters in the future, especially to variation moves. Plus more content like KP3,4,5 etc..
(I still wait for a human Shao Kahn skin :D - I also wished this game would have more fighters with anti-projectile moves like Shangs "shake", when is this move getting a brutal? :laughing:)

(Sheevas stomp so far is the only red flag for me in the game, exactly what you should not do, to make your game fun to play, oh and I also think Kotals command grab is super cheap, 1 or 12 into grab works on block(!) and you can ONLY jump to get out? Crazy abusable!)

I could so me easy support this game for 2 more years :D

---
*Wi-Fi is not meant to be used for a fast pace genre like "fighting-games" and you know that NRS! Crazy sin to "seriously" play such games.

There's no way someone would continue to play a game two years after release if they didn't enjoy the experience.
It seems people do though, and that's even excluding NetherRealm Studios titles. This generation of gamers seems very good at hating everything they play.

Go look at the forums and communities for Blizzard Entertainment, as an example. So much hate for the games, yet there all regulars who've been playing for a decade plus! And this is just one developer's communities as an example.

I think it's very telling that Ed Boon himself said his favorite MK games were the rush down style of MK3 and MKX. He said something to the effect that MAYBE MK11 will become a favorite......This game is not the best by far...sorry. It's the least fun and creative when it comes to actual gameplay.

MadPropz101

"I still got it...but not much of it"
I think it's very telling that Ed Boon himself said his favorite MK games were the rush down style of MK3 and MKX. He said something to the effect that MAYBE MK11 will become a favorite......This game is not the best by far...sorry. It's the least fun and creative when it comes to actual gameplay.
Previous games, especially MK9 and MKX are made for smoothbrains. MK11 is not perfect, but compared to those games it is a work of art.

Previous games, especially MK9 and MKX are made for smoothbrains. MK11 is not perfect, but compared to those games it is a work of art.
The graphics and customization of this game are beautiful......the combo system is bare bones and stripped down to the absolute bare minimum. Every character is played exactly the same way(by players)....no room for creativity.

MadPropz101

The graphics and customization of this game are beautiful......the combo system is bare bones and stripped down to the absolute bare minimum. Every character is played exactly the same way(by players)....no room for creativity.
Yes the combo system is simplified, but characters are definitely not played the same. The difference is that in this game you can actually play footsies, while in MKX you just mindleslly jail plus frames and do safe 50/50's, not to mention the run button and armored specials...

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
Yes the combo system is simplified, but characters are definitely not played the same. The difference is that in this game you can actually play footsies, while in MKX you just mindleslly jail plus frames and do safe 50/50's, not to mention the run button and armored specials...
The characters def don't play exactly like eachother, but I would say that a lot of individual identity has been lost. MKX had a lot of really fun and unique playstyles. Yeah the meme is to just call it 50/50 fest, but some characters had gameplans outside that. There's nobody in MK11 that is as unique as Nimble Reptile, has the fun technical requirements of Cyber Sub, the ultra oppressing lockdown of Predator or the wild vortexes of Smoke or Scorpion.

Have you ever thrown out a forceball with Reptile in MKX, and knew the opponent was going to jump over it? So you stop that bitch midair so they land on it? There's no feeling like that in MK11. MK11 is fun because fighting games are fun, there's nothing really unique about it imho. All of 11's best qualities can be found elsewhere and done better

MadPropz101

The characters def don't play exactly like eachother, but I would say that a lot of individual identity has been lost. MKX had a lot of really fun and unique playstyles. Yeah the meme is to just call it 50/50 fest, but some characters had gameplans outside that. There's nobody in MK11 that is as unique as Nimble Reptile, has the fun technical requirements of Cyber Sub, the ultra oppressing lockdown of Predator or the wild vortexes of Smoke or Scorpion.

Have you ever thrown out a forceball with Reptile in MKX, and knew the opponent was going to jump over it? So you stop that bitch midair so they land on it? There's no feeling like that in MK11. MK11 is fun because fighting games are fun, there's nothing really unique about it imho. All of 11's best qualities can be found elsewhere and done better
Yeah I actually played Reptile a lot, so I know what you mean. Thing is, I prefer the game to be more slower paced and methodical, and not super oppressive like you mentioned.

I would like you to tell me who plays any specific character uniquely?......what is their style that can be differentiated from any other player. It's virtually impossible to play a character in your own way with how stripped down the system is. When I play a scorpion player they pretty much all play the same way.....when I play a Lui Kang player they pretty much all play the same way. You can only use the tools given......MKX by no means was perfect but I had FUN. I felt rewarded for actually learning a character and practicing long combo strings and being able to pull them off online.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
I feel like standout, unique characters are Kung Lao, Kano, Fujin and Geras. There's prob a handful more I'm not remembering rn, but I see these characters and wish MK11 always looked as lively.

He said something to the effect that MAYBE MK11 will become a favorite.....
Curious; where did he say this?

The difference is that in this game you can actually play footsies, while in MKX you just mindleslly jail plus frames and do safe 50/50's, not to mention the run button and armored specials...
Well that's the thing, Mortal Kombat XL and Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate, despite being fighting games from the same franchise, are very, very different fighting games in terms of their design and mechanics. People who prefer one style of play with like one game, and people who like the other with prefer the other. Personally, I vastly prefer the fast-paced, combo-focused gameplay of Mortal Kombat XL, but that's my personal taste.

I do think people who don't like or prefer Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate should simple stop complaining and either play it casually (as I do) or move on (or back) to another fighting game. It's very unlikely the core design will change at this point, so no use beating a dead horse.

Very well said.

Ashesfall

"Feel the wrath of Shao Kahn"
I do think people who don't like or prefer Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate should simple stop complaining and either play it casually (as I do) or move on (or back) to another fighting game. It's very unlikely the core design will change at this point, so no use beating a dead horse.
I wouldn't be too sure about it, I mean just watch at SF5(S5), they just added a huge universal (core-design) defensive option. (I dont play SF5 but it looks cool and should make the game even more fun)
Just saying, maybe the dead horse is not complete dead yet :laughing:

One idea I have in my head since a longer time:
How about 4 slots to pick moves and also add 1 move to every fighter plus expand some normals?
(some moves should also be changed to 2 slots (jac leap,cet tele for example) from 1 slot)
I mean Tekken7 got in every season (4 so far) new moves to every(!) fighter and the roster is way bigger compared to MK11.
Tekken7 added also wall bounce with S2 (Geese S1 started it)

MK11 has such a great fundamental to build around, I think

ps: please more stage Brutals, only 7 while every single fighter has more than 7 ...
The chainsaw one is so extreme good, love it

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★
I think the main reason why is that they wanted to break the 2-year cycle. Also COVID-19 is slowing everything down & they’re still making money (especially from DLC). I'd like to point out that Warner Brothers Interactive Entertainment was for sale just a few months ago (not anymore).

But yeah, I think the game is ass too.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be too sure about it, I mean just watch at SF5(S5), they just added a huge universal (core-design) defensive option. (I dont play SF5 but it looks cool and should make the game even more fun)
Just saying, maybe the dead horse is not complete dead yet
Sure, anything is possible, of course, but I've not gotten the impression that NetherRealm Studios is looking to heavily adjust the design, and the game has and continues to sell well, from my understanding.

Time will tell!

John_NX

Your circumstances are dire!
You can play footsies until you run into broken air specials. This game has so many FU neutral moves its insane.