What's new

Why has mk11 lasted for 2 years?

KutlessMyth

mental and fundamental
i got bored of it a year in and switched back to inj2, also heard they might cancel some kombat packs cuz they aren't projected to do well

People complain and bitch about the game but yet it's lasted 2 whole years and there's still planned content for this game? I find this mind boggling since this game is so "trash"
MK11 is extremely boring to play for me. It's irrelevant whether or not it's popular. Whether it's "good" or "bad" is simply a matter of opinion. For me personally, it's the first one I never bothered with. It feels like Street Fighter.

I like the game. But for awhile now, Warner Bros has used MK to promote pop culture media more than their own product. 95% MK news is like esports, content streamers or some crappy mainstream rapper.

I don't think I need to remind you of the shit show that is going on with their movie right now. I'm not sure what possible reason to look forward to some planned content right now when they can't even get a simple trailer out. Unless you like to play blue's clues with one of the creators on twitter.

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
People complain and bitch about the game but yet it's lasted 2 whole years and there's still planned content for this game? I find this mind boggling since this game is so "trash"
Seriously? two years? When MKX had two years, the game was a blast. The game was played online and offline in terms that MK11 will never see. Not to mention, the number of techs, combos, setups that were developed was huge. The game was played for far longer than that (still is).

For the sake of the conversation: MK9 was huge, and was played for years, regarding the support. But for your defense, lets say that the game had the "REBOOT" factor.

I wanna see you making this thread in two years time pal, then perhaps we'll have a good reason to be proud of this game.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Seriously? two years? When MKX had two years, the game was a blast. The game was played online and offline in terms that MK11 will never see. Not to mention, the number of techs, combos, setups that were developed was huge. The game was played for far longer than that (still is).

For the sake of the conversation: MK9 was huge, and was played for years, regarding the support. But for your defense, lets say that the game had the "REBOOT" factor.

I wanna see you making this thread in two years time pal, then perhaps we'll have a good reason to be proud of this game.
There also wasn't a global pandemic that prevents all offline events from happening for X and 9. I think people don't consider how the pandemic has effected every aspect of people's lives, including offline hobbies like FGC tournaments.

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
A lot of the people who bitch about the game still decide to play it for some strange reason I dont understand. They make them selves play a game they dont like cos it has Mortal Kombat in the title. I dont like the game, I played it for about 6 weeks after release and thats it

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
There also wasn't a global pandemic that prevents all offline events from happening for X and 9.
If you mean by now then that is completely different. I simply pointed out, that in the prime days of those two games, there were tournaments all over the globe -if you wanted to attempt all, you would have to be able to split in half. While MK11 came out, and there was no interest regardless of the pandemic (which kicked in laaaater on).

D

Deleted member 64931

I think the reason a lot of people play the game despite complaining, and I fell
Into this category, is that we’re still in complete disbelief that the people who made 4 games which were all more enjoyable to play than not, made an absolute travesty out of the fighting game genre with mk11. From fatal blows, to burst damage level throws, to essentially turning the game into an ARPG, it’s truly a disgusting feeling when you lose as opposed to feeling you genuinely got outplayed like in mk9-I2 and it took me sometime to realize my lack of enjoyment is not my fault. They should be embarrassed about this product and quickly move on to injustice 3 which I pray to god is a legacy game. Don’t fuck with what works.

MK11 is extremely boring to play for me. It's irrelevant whether or not it's popular. Whether it's "good" or "bad" is simply a matter of opinion. For me personally, it's the first one I never bothered with. It feels like Street Fighter.
street fighter the game feels nothing like street fighter? For one, you can consistently anti air in that game though lmao

Ilthuain

Lost in a labyrinth of egoism
People complain and bitch because they lose and they'd rather blame the game than their own decision making.

There's no way someone would continue to play a game two years after release if they didn't enjoy the experience. Still though, you gotta protect that ego with the occasional "OMG guys I played for 800 hours and the entire time I was ROFLing because it is soooooo terribad! Anyway, I'm going to uninstall and never play again but don't worry I'll still complain about KL on the daily."

OMG guys I played for 800 hours and the entire time I was ROFLing because it is soooooo terribad!
I think this is a really great snapshot of the kind of bad faith attitudes I see often and I think its pretty tiresome. I once tuned in on a popular commentator's stream right at the moment a player jumped on wakeup to score a hit and win a round which the streamer, who was also spectating, says "looool this game is so baaaaad" in response to that play.

As though nobody has ever missed a meaty in other games before.

People complain and bitch because they lose and they'd rather blame the game than their own decision making.

There's no way someone would continue to play a game two years after release if they didn't enjoy the experience. Still though, you gotta protect that ego with the occasional "OMG guys I played for 800 hours and the entire time I was ROFLing because it is soooooo terribad! Anyway, I'm going to uninstall and never play again but don't worry I'll still complain about KL on the daily."
Terribad rly got me xD

Because countries that have the biggest MK communities are suffering horribly from the pandemic and people need to do something while staying home. That's how MK11 has so many active players after 2 years. Not just MK, but Steam and many video games are also thriving (according to Steam stats).
NRS deserves some credit, but not all. I don't consider adding 1000 new costumes and +50 HP for Shao Khan is an actual contribution that helps keeping the game alive. Adding DLCs and allowing custom moves is great, it's true, but personally I hate this business practice because it costs me so much more money

Only lasted 2 months for me. Game looked terrible at first but when they allowed custom variations to be legit I got the game. It was fun for a bit and it seems they don't intend to balance variation moves unfortunately.