What's new

Why don’t pros use Getup Attacks?

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
When I was watching the Top 8 on Sunday, it was driving me crazy that no one was using wakeups. Opponent would be literally walking forward right on top of them, wide open for a wakeup, and they still don’t use it. There was even at least one instance where it would’ve taken a round (or maybe even the match, I don’t remember), but instead they just stood up and continued taking the pressure.

So... why? What is the logic behind not using them?

Are they saving them for breakaways? I thought people didn’t like those as much, due to the slow recharge rate afterward. But I saw a bunch of breakaways used... no wakeups though.

I understand using bars sparingly in previous games, but in MK11, I feel like it’s built around using your meter more often.

Someone help me make sense of this!

Ram

Buluc Chabtan
I personally wake-up like crazy, don't know how pros can resist so much lol

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Risk reward.

As the player that got knocked down, If I guess correctly on a wakeup u3, I stop your pressure, do a slight amount of damage, and it either resets the neutral or I have the advantage.

As the player that got knocked down, If I guess wrong on a wakeup u3, they get a full combo punish into either the exact same situation (putting me into knockdown and having to do it all over again) or they will put me in an even worse situation. Oh, and I’m down an offensive and defensive bar of meter.

Essentially, you have to be fairly certain your wakeup attack or roll will work and won’t be read and punished. And at high levels, that’s a very real possibility.

D

Deleted member 35141

They are so easy to punish and waste alot of resources

Wrenchfarm

Lexcorp Proprietary Technologies
so many of them were able to get up and contest with a button I gotta assume they think it is a waste of resources.

seriously though, did anyone else notice how many times someone would get up with a standing 1 or 2 and beat a "meaty"? Incredible

Grape Juice City

Shaolin boyz
so many of them were able to get up and contest with a button I gotta assume they think it is a waste of resources.

seriously though, did anyone else notice how many times someone would get up with a standing 1 or 2 and beat a "meaty"? Incredible
Because they probably weren't going for meaties when they got hit by wake up buttons, they were going for shimmies. Reason why wake up buttons is such a strong option is because of the current strike/throw meta.

Wrenchfarm

Lexcorp Proprietary Technologies
Because they probably weren't going for meaties when they got hit by wake up buttons, they were going for shimmies. Reason why wake up buttons is such a strong option is because of the current strike/throw meta.
I need to understand this better. To me some of those looked like meaties getting stuffed by normals, or normals perfectly spaced between attacks after a delayed wake up. Very impressive and such a better option than a wake-up U2.

Edmund

Kitana & Skarlet
Well I also think part of it is the OS that a lot of characters have. Does NJ pretty much best most of the wake up attacks? That could explain it, or it could be an issue of value. One offensive meter and defensive meter for an attack that does mediocre damage or a launch that can be broken from without the guarantee of actually landing and that is also punishable isn’t too great of a move.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
Because they're actually bad to use tbh. Most good players shimmy you so you waste meter on it and continue their turn. I'd much rather delay stand up and save the meter for breakaways.

Grape Juice City

Shaolin boyz
I need to understand this better. To me some of those looked like meaties getting stuffed by normals, or normals perfectly spaced between attacks after a delayed wake up. Very impressive and such a better option than a wake-up U2.
It's a combination of all three. But wakeup normals can't stuff meaties unless they're mistimed, which doesn't happen often at that level. And yeah wake up u2's really feel the least appealing as far as WU options go. Lack of invincibility aside, even when you make the read on a jump there's still a high chance of it whiffing depending on who you're using.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
If someone starts their string a tad early or tries to check you with a d1, it’s “safer” but they can still block if you can’t interrupt it. Not only that, the timing to flawless block and launch a wake up attack I believe is the same for every char. I did it the other day in a match so I’m pretty sure the pros can too.

I’ve learned to use all the wake ups less and less because if you’re playing a high level player you need to be able to prevent major damage with breakaway if you can. It also takes away critical momentum from the match to turn 30% into less than half.

Last edited:
When I was watching the Top 8 on Sunday, it was driving me crazy that no one was using wakeups. Opponent would be literally walking forward right on top of them, wide open for a wakeup, and they still don’t use it. There was even at least one instance where it would’ve taken a round (or maybe even the match, I don’t remember), but instead they just stood up and continued taking the pressure.

So... why? What is the logic behind not using them?

Are they saving them for breakaways? I thought people didn’t like those as much, due to the slow recharge rate afterward. But I saw a bunch of breakaways used... no wakeups though.

I understand using bars sparingly in previous games, but in MK11, I feel like it’s built around using your meter more often.

Someone help me make sense of this!
I thought the exact same thing. They do this thing where they keep walking into the downed oponent even for a good second after they wake up and just down block. Forever king and Djt did this a lot it's crazy.
I didn't get it either but I guess when you're confident in your throw techs and counters you don't need to wake up I guess....

Because of this I've been trying to not use my wakeups online and been blown to bits so..... yea back to using wakeups lol

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Probably because they are expensive and don't give you a lot in return. Rolls and Breakaways are far better, I think, in a lot of situations.

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
I really feel like Dragon could've done better against SonicFox in Grand Finals if he would've just U3'd once or twice. He wasn't teching the throws so he was dying by that mixup

I suppose it also might be because Cassie, Cetrion, and Kung Lao all have bad U3s. If one of them mained a Kahn or Kitana or Jax they might be more likely to do it

Metin

Ermac & Smoke Main
Too predictable and punishable. i only use u3 if my opponent is about to die and still trying pressure on me.

666 I HazeOner

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Well timed 6 to 8 frame 'wake-up' buttons are more valuable and safer than regular, hyper punishable wake up attacks.
Also, people tend to save meter for breakaway instead.

I am far from a good player but hardly use wake up attacks myself, except for an occasional roll.

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
I've been able to completely turn the tides with a wakeup attack and I've completely blown a set with a wakeup attack. They can be very useful situationally.

That said I have a lot of great anti-wakeup setups that have won me so many games please don't stop using them thank you I love you mwah mwah mwah