What's new

Question - Special Forces Why does this variation seem underused?

Why do you think this variation is underused

• Total voters

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
I made a status update on this yesterday but i am not satisfied yet on knowing why nobody is utilizing this variation to its highest potential.

Just a few mins in the lab and the things I am finding such as using the homing projectile for plus on block Dive kicks, b3 into the the OH missile for pressure, safe footsies, placing the drone behind you then moving to other side of the screen and using the the Drones projectiles to keep your opponents from moving and crazy mind games, crashing the drones for plus frames and corner launches. the list is endless.

But there must be a reason why it hasn't being used it yet. I fail to see how this is a bad variation and will take some convincing.,I guess the the other 2 variations standout in their own ways, 1 is easy mode with 50/50s into 50/50s and the other big dmg pay off and mind games, so a possibility may be its redundant in comparison to the other 2 but i'm not sold. i also notice canceling the drones into block string is a tricky timing which could throw people off

2 common possibilities I think are
1) No high level Tourney player has used this before so the mass assumes its useless or shit.
2) It seems like you need to dedicate A LOT of time into this variation to flesh out when you can just pick one of the other 2 variations much easier.
3) I'm wrong, and it is useless and shit

but in anyways i'm curious.
I dont play the char so my knowledge and bold
aint
statements are invalid.

Bold statement? What bold statement?
That this could potentially be her best Variation :p

Maybe too bold but i'm at best convinced this is a sleeper
so convince me im wrong TYM, lets have fun yo!

P.S coming from a Stunt Double main slow start up on Drones ain't gonna cut it

Edit: Heres some footage if anybody interested of some of its potential by the main man Scar

Last edited:

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
2) It seems like you need to dedicate A LOT of time into this variation to flesh out when you can just pick one of the other 2 variations much easier.
This is pretty much the case with 90% of the cast at the moment, you get quicker more obvious results from picking up covert or grenades or you also have like 20 other characters which you can pick up in the space of half hour and see immediate results. I dont doubt this variation is slept on and undiscovered, but thats probably the reason nobody plays it.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
I've always said if I was going to play Sonya I'd play Special Forces, I actually had this conversation with Youph the other night there lol.

I just haven't got around to playing her yet. There's a lot to learn in this game, she'll get her turn :)

IrishMantis

Scar & MyGod use Special Forces, don't know who else.
I have yet to see Scar use it at a tourney, its a possibility hes still grinding it out would love to get his opinion on this.

WTF is his tag?
also tag the other dude too if you can

This is pretty much the case with 90% of the cast at the moment, you get quicker more obvious results from picking up covert or grenades or you also have like 20 other characters which you can pick up in the space of half hour and see immediate results. I dont doubt this variation is slept on and undiscovered, but thats probably the reason nobody plays it.
Yeah this also what i feel could be the case too

errormacro7

Official Sonya simp
This variation is REALLY good but very underrated. The only person that I can think of that uses this variation at a high level is Scar. I like how it helps in a lot of MUs.

DaZengie

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MortalKombatATX/
I used to use this all the time before they buffed demolition. My main reason for not using this variation is that it's hard to get online practice with it. b14 or b332 cancel into low kamikaze drone timing online is very inconsistent. But now demolition has so much meterless damage that SF is probably used for certain match ups. It also takes practice to control the drone and knowing the recycle set ups so it's out most of the time.

errormacro7

Official Sonya simp
This variation is REALLY good but very underrated. The only person that I can think of that uses this variation at a high level is Scar. I like how it helps in a lot of MUs.

IrishMantis

A little sneaky switch-a-roo of a word in the thread title, to keep this a little more interesting than closed at "it has being used once or twice at a tourney" which is my fault for the hyperbolic title

IrishMantis

I've been using Special Forces for a while.

I don't think it's a "sleeper" variation. Underused, yes. But it's not a secret how dirty this variation is.

Kitana players should have nightmares about this variation.
Sick bro.

How do you think it compares to the other 2?

Jolt

Uprise
I used to use this all the time before they buffed demolition. My main reason for not using this variation is that it's hard to get online practice with it. b14 or b332 cancel into low kamikaze drone timing online is very inconsistent. But now demolition has so much meterless damage that SF is probably used for certain match ups. It also takes practice to control the drone and knowing the recycle set ups so it's out most of the time.
This quote is basically it. Unless you have solid offline training partners, Special Forces is not going to cut it. Online, the timing of your drone cancels varies slightly from match to match so they become unreliable. The story I usually run into is: I would have won if my drone moves came out as planned.

Special Forces without using the drone to extend combos or pressure simply DOES NOT do enough damage. So you are basically hitting these killer (and sometimes unsafe) 50/50s or staggers to get your drone out, right? Now that the drone is out, you can: Use it to cover you in pressure (will even break combos for you!), use it to extend your damage, or simply use it as a threat.

So you're playing your match and you try b14 into low kamikaze. Drone doesn't move. You were +12 for hit advantage, but you weren't ready to react because you were relying on your combo. 25-30% becomes 12%. Not a big deal a few times, it happens to everyone. Problem is B14 has connected EVERY TIME against this player

You want to use your drone mixup (shotgun vs low kamikaze) after a safe string: 11 you press 11 and do your drone mixup except...nothing game out. 11 connected so you're at advantage, that's cool. But you lost at least 10% into a free/safe drone call.

It doesn't help that timing is DIFFERENT for drone specials on hit and on block.

I love this variation, I'm trying to main it (online HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA) but it's just frustrating. 90% of the time when I lose with this variation, I can tell whether or not I would have won the game with Demolition or Covert Ops and it comes down to: Did I get full damage at every opportunity I had?

My execution isn't the world's best, but I KNOW that I can do my Special Forces combos. I DON'T know if the game will be agreeable.

Also: Why is shotgun the only drone attack that goes away if you get hit/block an attack? I think it should definitely stay active.

IrishMantis

This quote is basically it. Unless you have solid offline training partners, Special Forces is not going to cut it. Online, the timing of your drone cancels varies slightly from match to match so they become unreliable. The story I usually run into is: I would have won if my drone moves came out as planned.

Special Forces without using the drone to extend combos or pressure simply DOES NOT do enough damage. So you are basically hitting these killer (and sometimes unsafe) 50/50s or staggers to get your drone out, right? Now that the drone is out, you can: Use it to cover you in pressure (will even break combos for you!), use it to extend your damage, or simply use it as a threat.

So you're playing your match and you notice b14 is connecting just about every time, so you try b14 into low kamikaze. Drone doesn't move. You were +12 for hit advantage, but you weren't ready to react because you were relying on your combo. 25-30% becomes 12%.

You want to use your drone mixup (shotgun vs low kamikaze) after a safe string: 11 you press 11 and do your drone mixup except...nothing game out. 11 connected so you're at advantage, that's cool. But you lost at least 10% into a free/safe drone call.

It doesn't help that timing is DIFFERENT for drone specials on hit and on block.

I love this variation, I'm trying to main it (online HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA) but it's just frustrating. 90% of the time when I lose with this variation, I can tell whether or not I would have won the game with Demolition or Covert Ops and it comes down to: Did I get full damage at every opportunity I had?

My execution isn't the world's best, but I KNOW that I can do my Special Forces combos. I DON'T know if the game will be agreeable.

Also: Why is shotgun the only drone attack that goes away if you get hit/block an attack? I think it should definitely stay active.
Why is cancel timing so tricky, seems strange when nothing else in the game has timing like this?

DaZengie

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MortalKombatATX/

So you're playing your match and you notice b14 is connecting just about every time, so you try b14 into low kamikaze. Drone doesn't move. You were +12 for hit advantage, but you weren't ready to react because you were relying on your combo. 25-30% becomes 12%.

Yup. Also, depending on the latency, the cancels to the low kamikaze online are completely unreliable. Any slight lag spike and you get 12% vs 25-30% plus a drone re-summon, whereas playing demolition or CO is much easier in the execution department.