What's new

Question - Kitana Why does this patch make Kitana so good?

WhiteOut

Noob
I know I probably sound like a noob for asking this and I could easily go look at the patch notes and spend some time in the lab, but I'd rather just ask some people who know. I realize that the stamina change will enhance her zoning and such, but I don't understand what makes here "broken, OP", or top tier honestly. She's one of the few characters that I haven't put much time into before that patch, so I have little knowledge on her...besides not to jump at her, and the fact that she wasn't that hard to beat prior to the balance patch. In other words: What makes her top tier after this patch and why? Should I be a tier whore and pick her up? Which variation is the best? Why?

Sorry if I sound dumb, but I just figured to ask:)

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
Her offense gets some huge buffs which allow her to pressure you with a lot of chip, especially in Assasin
Her splat OH is now unreactable
Her defense gets a huge buff as well: ex BF3 is now safe, has 2 hits of armor. If that's the only wake up she has then it can be baited and punished, unfortunately she has a million options to wake up in each variation. So basically after a knock down she's free to do whatever she wants
And her damage is back to pre Summer Jam 2015 state

SM StarGazer

The voice of reason in a Sea of Salt
50/50's with ExAirGlaive. Which is a launching OH projectile.

She gains Shadow Kick and Staff Grab. That's 4 safe wake up. SxDtaffGtab is punishable but has great pushbpushback so at max range your good

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
NRS tends to carelessly give characters moves that have no business being in the fighting game scene.
Kitana was simply brought up to game standards instead of bringing the standard down.
If we put Kitana into a real fighting game and all she could do is throw fan, air fan and combo off of both like she can right now, she'd already be broken in those games.

In this game however, due to armor, immense block advantage and other amateur nonsense, Kitana used to be pretty bad overall. Now she has options in every situation and she is really hard to shut down, let alone punish.

She gets out of pressure much easier than she did before, and the only way to destroy her is to make her whiff and then land a very damaging combo before she's loose again.

Her damage is excellent. You literally only need to make up to three mistakes for her to eat up all your hp.

The reason she is so good currently is that not only is it insanely hard to get in on her zoning, but she's also hard to catch, while she will do crazy damage if she catches you. If you catch her without meter, or you whiff punish her armored moves properly, you can kill her though.

NRS tends to carelessly give characters moves that have no business being in the fighting game scene.
Kitana was simply brought up to game standards instead of bringing the standard down.
If we put Kitana into a real fighting game and all she could do is throw fan, air fan and combo off of both like she can right now, she'd already be broken in those games.

In this game however, due to armor, immense block advantage and other amateur nonsense, Kitana used to be pretty bad overall. Now she has options in every situation and she is really hard to shut down, let alone punish.

She gets out of pressure much easier than she did before, and the only way to destroy her is to make her whiff and then land a very damaging combo before she's loose again.

Her damage is excellent. You literally only need to make up to three mistakes for her to eat up all your hp.

The reason she is so good currently is that not only is it insanely hard to get in on her zoning, but she's also hard to catch, while she will do crazy damage if she catches you. If you catch her without meter, or you whiff punish her armored moves properly, you can kill her though.
Very well put, do you think this is the last patch, hope not, I play cryo and want his cancellable cold blooded back

Rozalin1780

Good? Bad? I'm the one with the fans
It should be noted that as much as people are making a big deal about her now, she's no where near the level of dumb that existed pre-patch.

As a kitana main she can now actually play the game. She now has offensive options but not OP imo except for her safe ex bf3 which I think prolly should b nerfed to b fair, but nothing more than that. The stamina adjustment and increased range of f2 now actually allows her to effectively zone without easily being rushdown. But wen caught in pressure she can still struggle.

As a kitana main she can now actually play the game. She now has offensive options but not OP imo except for her safe ex bf3 which I think prolly should b nerfed to b fair, but nothing more than that. The stamina adjustment and increased range of f2 now actually allows her to effectively zone without easily being rushdown. But wen caught in pressure she can still struggle.
Nice write up, do you think her safe ex bf3 will be toned down

Call me the outsider but I dont agree that she's borderline broken, or even Alien or Tanya pre patch status. I main kitana and I really don't think she's gonna be winning anything too easy or consistently. The fact that there are still characters who can start a combo with a 50/50 in my book still makes them better. I'm not down playing my main, like I heard in the street fighter forum, I'm not good enough to blame my losses on my character. I might be VERY wrong about this but time will tell.

Nice write up, do you think her safe ex bf3 will be toned down
Yeh I got a strong feeling they will tone it down. I'm abusing it of course while it lasts lol but in light of the other tools she now has, I'm not too fussed if they do. I've been a kitana loyalist since I got this game and it's paid off lol, payback is great for all those ridiculous pre-patch characters.

Tweedy

Noob
Everything is relative. Release Tanya and release Raiden were both way better than Alien and Demo, yet there was no asterisk by their top tier placements. Due to the heat of the moment, people actually questioned what I just said lol.

If Kitana is top tier, she's top tier. The community will use endless hyperboles.

She is fast, safe and now has a safe special with 2x armor, also I have noticed and please correct me if I am wrong, but f22, d2 and bf3 create separation(push backs) if you block which makes her now hard to punish, before those move were easy punished when blocked, she is really top notch

By far not, they said it themselves: They will continue balancing the game.
Kitana has already received a nerf and she no longer has armor on the neck-jump move.
Thanks for the input, moving off topic, do you think there is a chance they will give cryo his cancelable cold blooded back and get rid of the tick throw

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Thanks for the input, moving off topic, do you think there is a chance they will give cryo his cancelable cold blooded back and get rid of the tick throw
Not qualified to say.
Also I have no idea.
It has happened before that they have returned moves that were taken out but usually it's a safe bet to say that if something got removed, it was probably not balanced in comparison to the rest of the game.

I miss Tanya's old teleport too, because the character is pretty garbage if you look at her overall design in comparison to similar moves in the game. But it was not balanced vs a majority of the cast.

Miss Kanzuki

*KANZUKI GOON SQUAD*
Not 100% sure I wanna compete in tournaments for MKX again, but I miss Kitana. I heard she has gotten better in the 10 months since I last played this game.

Kitana is like the bird girl in KOFXIV. Someone called this style air footsies, this is what Tanya and Kitana had been doing all the time. Now that armour launchers are mostly gone (Wargod Kothal) cough,cough. This style shines even more.