What's new

Question - Goro Why does Goro need buffs?

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
If someone refers to an outdated post and tell us Goro is broken... Sorry, I can't take this for serious, not even a day before christmas eve... xD
the post is outdated, that's true. I only replied to it because @DDutchguy and I had a discussion about the fairness of Goro and he linked that to me, so I actually answered more as a joke than not.

However I do sincerely think that Goro isn't a fair character and is very slept on.

Udun

Noob
the post is outdated, that's true. I only replied to it because @DDutchguy and I had a discussion about the fairness of Goro and he linked that to me, so I actually answered more as a joke than not.

However I do sincerely think that Goro isn't a fair character and is very slept on.
Actually I partly agree. I don't think he is a fair character, as there is no fair character in this whole game. Every kind of character has at least some tiny dirt.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
Actually I partly agree. I don't think he is a fair character, as there is no fair character in this whole game. Every kind of character has at least some tiny dirt.
that's true, Shinnok has hellsparks and that ji1 after all. but some characters took it one step too far, like Takeda, Kitana, jason or well... Goro.

Udun

Noob
Shinnok is my secondary, he's far from Goro. But I'm interested in your opinion. Where is Goro's OPness in your opinion?

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
Shinnok is my secondary, he's far from Goro. But I'm interested in your opinion. Where is Goro's OPness in your opinion?
At distance, Goro is full of tools: his projectile was already pretty good as, even though it was quite slow, it had an insane block stun; now they buffed its speed without adjusting the blockstun. The stomp is also great to close in, to get extra damage from combos from time to time and as an antizoning tool.

Tiger's + on block without any meter required (for some reason) and has great space control from 3/4 screen and closer with his projectiles. He also gets a + on block low launcher for a bar and the non-ex version is great for counterpoking as it knocks down.

Kuatan also has great space control with the best unblockable move in the game. Tremor's earthquake is a joke compared to his.

Dragon Fangs loses (some of) his space control for better range, footsies, mixups and a plus on block move.

Up close Goro is a nightmare: nothing he has is unsafe, everything is either -2 or + for some reason. His 6f poke helps him not respect his very little - frames and he can cancel it into punchwalk, which is hit-confirmable in full combo. His reversals are beyond reason: his ex punchwalk is great as it has multiple armor hits, is safe on block and can also be MB for a full combo, but his ex stomp is where goro shines, that move is so bullshit it's not even funny.

And as it wasn't enough he also does good damage, has a command grab and they removed his only weakness in movement speed.

Last edited:

Udun

Noob
Each of the mentioned points has a big disadvantage you can exploit (pls tell me if I should go into detail)... Btw his ex-punchwalk is full combo punishable since the march patch (-12 on block).

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
Each of the mentioned points has a big disadvantage you can exploit (pls tell me if I should go into detail)... Btw his ex-punchwalk is full combo punishable since the march patch (-12 on block).
yes, please go into details. I didn't know about ex punchwalk, good to know, I don't have much time to play since the patch.

TheGangstaFace

Psn, Xbox, Twitter: TheGangstaFace
Goro is still covered in gaps and I'm gonna have to look through TYM later to see if something is posted. If not I might have found tech against Goro

TheGangstaFace

Gaps don't really mean much anymore, some can even be used as mindgames.
Against Goro they're still strong. Like what is a Goro gonna do at jump distance? Lol. But regardless I just thought about it and he could just cancel into punchwalk to make it not have a gap. Ggs

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
Against Goro they're still strong. Like what is a Goro gonna do at jump distance? Lol. But regardless I just thought about it and he could just cancel into punchwalk to make it not have a gap. Ggs
...and building tons of meter while doing so.

and to answer your question: f3 is a special cancellable mid with good range, also in his Tiger variation he can use his low projectile, in his Dragon Fangs variation he can use his ex move which hits low, has armor and is + on block and in Kuatan charge he has that very fast forward advancing move, I'm not sure it's safe though.

Parasurama

Dragon
Goro is good... I dont think he is better than Shinnok. He feels slow to move around the Stage.... and that's it... otherwise he is pretty good but the biggest reason he does well is most people have no idea what to do when fighting a Goro due to lack of match up experience.

Soul Caliber, Tekken, Mortal Kombat, and SF.
It was an old post, before the last patch. I still think he didn't need a buff then either, but just so you know...
What are even his weaknesses tho? He seems like he can fight anybody without doubt.

Udun

Noob
At distance, Goro is full of tools: his projectile was already pretty good as, even though it was quite slow, it had an insane block stun; now they buffed its speed without adjusting the blockstun. The stomp is also great to close in, to get extra damage from combos from time to time and as an antizoning tool.

Tiger's + on block without any meter required (for some reason) and has great space control from 3/4 screen and closer with his projectiles. He also gets a + on block low launcher for a bar and the non-ex version is great for counterpoking as it knocks down.

Kuatan also has great space control with the best unblockable move in the game. Tremor's earthquake is a joke compared to his.

Dragon Fangs loses (some of) his space control for better range, footsies, mixups and a plus on block move.

Up close Goro is a nightmare: nothing he has is unsafe, everything is either -2 or + for some reason. His 6f poke helps him not respect his very little - frames and he can cancel it into punchwalk, which is hit-confirmable in full combo. His reversals are beyond reason: his ex punchwalk is great as it has multiple armor hits, is safe on block and can also be MB for a full combo, but his ex stomp is where goro shines, that move is so bullshit it's not even funny.

And as it wasn't enough he also does good damage, has a command grab and they removed his only weakness in movement speed.
Ok, I think I start here. Tigrars +flame has gaps which can be poked out or even full combo punished with a faster string (eg tremor, shinnok). So this works usually only vs opponents who have no idea about the MU.
Tigrars exlowfireball should be +2 on block, but actually its not possible to keep chip pressure with this move. (maybe wrong frame data)

The Kuatan earthquake doesn't hit otg if not meterburned. The normal one can be techrolled and jumpd out after (not hard-) knockdown.

Dragonfangs is overall the best of his variations. The low claw (i guess this is your "plus on block move") is actually -8 on block and can be punished. Only if he uses meter it gets 2 armor and +6 on block.

In comparison to other chars damage he's in the middle area. Goro's only launch-string midscreen (b1,2,u2) has a huge gap between 2 and U2 - Shinnok can use his f4 to combo, also other chars with 6-8f starters.

I hope, i covered most of your points. If something is missing, just ask :)

TheGangstaFace

Ok, I think I start here. Tigrars +flame has gaps which can be poked out or even full combo punished with a faster string (eg tremor, shinnok). So this works usually only vs opponents who have no idea about the MU.
Tigrars exlowfireball should be +2 on block, but actually its not possible to keep chip pressure with this move. (maybe wrong frame data)

The Kuatan earthquake doesn't hit otg if not meterburned. The normal one can be techrolled and jumpd out after (not hard-) knockdown.

Dragonfangs is overall the best of his variations. The low claw (i guess this is your "plus on block move") is actually -8 on block and can be punished. Only if he uses meter it gets 2 armor and +6 on block.

In comparison to other chars damage he's in the middle area. Goro's only launch-string midscreen (b1,2,u2) has a huge gap between 2 and U2 - Shinnok can use his f4 to combo, also other chars with 6-8f starters.

I hope, i covered most of your points. If something is missing, just ask :)
To be fair all otg's work like that lol but yeah the rest you're spot on