What's new

Question - Goro Why does Goro need buffs?

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
Goro is not an attractive character like Alien or Kitana. He's a niche thing so people will dismiss him just to ensure that he won't be a threat. You have had to play MK1 to truly appreciate just how badass he is, or have read the comics, maybe seen the first movie and be a movie-monster freak.
To the average player characters like Kitana, Erron, Cassie, Takeda are probably far more attractive overall. Not talking skillset. Talking strictly attractiveness.
Oh yea dat sexy Xenomorph...mmm, dat tongue :p just kidding I get what ya mean

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
I totally agree, if characters with insane shit were brought down to the level of Goro and others etc range then he doesn't need anything.

Some will probably go relatively unscathed that are at the top though. I would just like to see as many characters be legitimate threats as possible. Diversity at top level can only be healthy. Mid and low mid should be the goal to get everyone around.

Maybe if people made a legitimate case for why he needs nothing I'd be on board, nothing has really been made.

You should quote people you're addressing so they can at least know to respond or not.

I'm fully aware of how his gameplan works, doesn't address the reality that when compared to the super meta relevant characters he is lacking in a lot of the notable ways.

Piercing got all of her weaknesses fixed, literally lost her having to take risks to poke out of pressure, godlike staggers added, updated zoning, etc. They literally erased the vast majority of her design flaws.

I didn't ask for anything unreasonable, just common sense design since he is on the precipice of being a threat, but is being held back due to these things. Nobody asked for anything over the top. Proper hitbox fixes, mids that are actually mids,nothing outside of the realm of reasonable.

Goro having a mid comparable to mids that other MID TIER characters have is totally fine. If it is not, are you saying that characters like Kotal and Cassie should lose their 9 and 10, 11 etc frame advancing mids? Just want some logic and consistency and why he isn't allowed to have one when there are characters who exist like A-List Cage and Swarm Queen D'Vorah who jail you off of their safe advancing mids?

You can reply with they have different tools and they do, but you also have to remember the following: D'Vorah and Cage have better hitboxes, less whiffing issues, more sustainable offense for less/auto replenishing investment, low profiling pokes, double digit plus frames etc. Goro's frame traps are +1 and +2 for example. He can get +12 for a bar (far more investment than run cancel pressure with far fewer options). Yet him having a mid that can compete is too much? He still would be meter reliant and wouldn't have insane jailing offense, there would still be the same meta, you could just actually hit with the big kids instead of getting out prioritized at far out ranges often.

If you would prefer to see significant nerfs across the board to the top and lower end of top then no, I would say Goro doesn't need anything at all either and agree. Is that actually going to happen though? I'll believe it when I see it.

I don't even think Goro is bad like some people here posting, but quality of life changes would not kill him or break him.
Yes, I know my buffs were unreasonable back in the day, but you hit the nail on the head and it is good to finally see you and me speak the same language.

Let's just say Goro gets all of the buffs I wished for.
(https://testyourmight.com/threads/post-your-buff-wishlist-for-goro.61051/)

This would probably make him at worst a top 10 character. Goro has a good tool set right now, but where he lacks is a huge part of playing MKX. Goro is one of the worst 50/50 characters in the game. OH only combos if it hits, B3 has a gap the size of russia so you have to spend a bar to make it safe. Goros' stagger game is awful compared to alot of the cast. 11 or 21 or 12 or b121 into a d1? what the...

And lets talk about how many times you see a non Tigrar Goro player use that projectile. I will wait.

If this was MK9 Goro would be top 5 imo, no question.

I don't want Goro buffed to be a Top Tier, I want Goro buffed to actually compete with the majority of the cast.

Yak

Noob
I can't blame you guys claiming Goro needs NO buffs for forgetting Kuatan Warrior exists in the state that it's in, because most people forget that it exists at all anymore.

To say Tigrar and Fangs don't need a buff, you could argue that, but to say he needs no buffs, implying KW is fine, isn't even funny as a joke.
at least he has more than one variation thats usable before I picked up goro I used to main sub.... Still haven't even tried using KW yet tbh

JORGIE

Noob
IMO Goro needs that stupid gap in b3xpunchwalk removed. Luxury buff would be to let d4 jail into punchwalk on block:DOGE

Also that ex fireball has to be a fucking mid in Tigrar Fury or at least the 3rd fireball.

chief713

Vertebral Subluxationist
IIRC 21 and F21 are the only strings that cancel into breath safely. All the others you can press in between.

Espio

Kokomo
Yes, I know my buffs were unreasonable back in the day, but you hit the nail on the head and it is good to finally see you and me speak the same language.

Let's just say Goro gets all of the buffs I wished for.
(https://testyourmight.com/threads/post-your-buff-wishlist-for-goro.61051/)

This would probably make him at worst a top 10 character. Goro has a good tool set right now, but where he lacks is a huge part of playing MKX. Goro is one of the worst 50/50 characters in the game. OH only combos if it hits, B3 has a gap the size of russia so you have to spend a bar to make it safe. Goros' stagger game is awful compared to alot of the cast. 11 or 21 or 12 or b121 into a d1? what the...

And lets talk about how many times you see a non Tigrar Goro player use that projectile. I will wait.

If this was MK9 Goro would be top 5 imo, no question.

I don't want Goro buffed to be a Top Tier, I want Goro buffed to actually compete with the majority of the cast.
Let's bang tbh.

IIRC 21 and F21 are the only strings that cancel into breath safely. All the others you can press in between.
You can go under 2,1, I know Mileena can with roll and I believe others with low profile pokes can do so as well which is actually a lot of characters.

Standing 4 is the best flame breath cancel in terms of limiting interruptions. Mileena and other get hit trying to low profile it, it grants pushback so a lot of armor attacks like Ex spin from Kung Lao will whiff and you can punish etc.

Ah alright I'll lab it
Not trying to be funny, but you argued so certainly about Goro needing nothing, but if you don't know even basic nuances like how the holes Tigrar Fury has are easy to interrupt in his block string "infinite" then doesn't that say enough?

Tigrar isn't terrible, but it is vastly overrated mostly due to lack of understanding and mu knowledge.

@EVB Alright RyRy what block infinite on Tremor? Need an explanation on that.

Edit: Tremor has a seven frame standing attack that should interrupt flame breath cancels off of forward 3 with no real problem since 8 and 9 frame attacks can do that. Then we have 2,1 which starts off as a high so even if he was in the corner he can just duck and reverse pressure and the pushback makes a second 2,1 not be in range anyway.

Last edited:

EMPEROR_KNICKS

Master of Kombat(frauds)
Tigrar is booty and people need to stop pretending it's not.
i dont think tigrar is booty at all, i think its good and it does well in a lot of matchups. Its projectile is good and can counter zone and zone alot of characters , as it has a good hitbox and damage, the plus 12 firebreath is also good, and yes i know it has a gap that you can poke through and reversal but the poke has a strict timing and you can usually bait a reversal by just doing f3 then blocking, or f3 then armoring. But that just imo,

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Don't know how i'm gonna feel if Goro gets buffed to the real tippity top and our little GOROBOYZ family gets clogged with a lot of bandwagoners.

I'll be the biggest Goro hipster around.

hkriderz

Lin Kuei Scum, yellow robot enthusiast
Let's bang tbh.

You can go under 2,1, I know Mileena can with roll and I believe others with low profile pokes can do so as well which is actually a lot of characters.

Standing 4 is the best flame breath cancel in terms of limiting interruptions. Mileena and other get hit trying to low profile it, it grants pushback so a lot of armor attacks like Ex spin from Kung Lao will whiff and you can punish etc.

Not trying to be funny, but you argued so certainly about Goro needing nothing, but if you don't know even basic nuances like how the holes Tigrar Fury has are easy to interrupt in his block string "infinite" then doesn't that say enough?

Tigrar isn't terrible, but it is vastly overrated mostly due to lack of understanding and mu knowledge.

@EVB Alright RyRy what block infinite on Tremor? Need an explanation on that.
Dang is this how it feels to be exposed? *Shao Kahn voice "Impressive"

That was prolly the only time on this site where I got called out on actual things that I said. (looking at you tweedy and godconfirm >_>

Yep I did say that. It was a while ago, and I admit it was after getting my ass handed to me by a goro main lol. But If you noticed I did change my wording in later posts. I just don't want this character to get all or most of his weaknesses fixed and become the next piercing fiasco. He has a very solid base and he is a few misplaced buffs away from top, so I was suggesting lets not rush it with the buffs and the fixes like we did piercing.

I mostly agree with Ryan's changes that he listed. But goro has good dirt now and if he does get considerably buffed, his dirt should be toned as well.

Last edited:

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
I think Goro is a good example of a character that is good, but not as good as you know? Theoretical Goro is a different beast from practical, in-match Goro.

Often times there's a 'but' attached to most of Goro's tools that not many other characters have. Yes he has a safe armored launcher, but his gameplan is pretty reliant on it and EX punchwalk frame traps can cost you bar if your opponent respects it. Yes Goro has an 8-frame command grab, but you have to do a lot of conditioning for it to work properly. Yes he has an 8-frame mid, but it has very bad range and is his only way of getting decent meterless damage.

"Dutch those really don't sound like big 'but's at all." I know and that's sorta my point. There's a lot more variables to Goro than to other characters. A-list can cancel and stagger away, because the staggers force respect by nature. Demo Sonya can mix away, because she can always hit an opponent with a safe 50/50 in Demo and not worry about a thing. Liu Kang can cancel and stagger quite nicely, Shinnok can do vortexes and control a ton of space...

Goro just seems to have a lot more holes than most other characters. If your opponent blocks a punchwalk, you can do an EX-punchwalk as a frame trap, but your opponent can jump out of it and get a full combo. Alright you can also do U2 for anti-airing, but EX-punchwalk is -5 so if the opponent guesses that you won't do EX-punchwalk, they can poke and eliminate U2, command grab and D1 options (if you try and disrespect your - frames from punchwalk). And of course you still have his poor zoning and general meter reliance.

In short: While Goro is not a bad character by any means, the opponent has more options to get out of his offense than most other characters do. In high-level play those holes get exploited far more often than in lower level play, thus giving Goro less of a chance to compete in tournaments.
goro is broken