What's new

Question - Goro Why does Goro need buffs?

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
Ok, I think I start here. Tigrars +flame has gaps which can be poked out or even full combo punished with a faster string (eg tremor, shinnok). So this works usually only vs opponents who have no idea about the MU.
Tigrars exlowfireball should be +2 on block, but actually its not possible to keep chip pressure with this move. (maybe wrong frame data)

The Kuatan earthquake doesn't hit otg if not meterburned. The normal one can be techrolled and jumpd out after (not hard-) knockdown.

Dragonfangs is overall the best of his variations. The low claw (i guess this is your "plus on block move") is actually -8 on block and can be punished. Only if he uses meter it gets 2 armor and +6 on block.

In comparison to other chars damage he's in the middle area. Goro's only launch-string midscreen (b1,2,u2) has a huge gap between 2 and U2 - Shinnok can use his f4 to combo, also other chars with 6-8f starters.

I hope, i covered most of your points. If something is missing, just ask :)
You didn't really answer any of my points at all in this post.

It's true that there's a gap before Tiger's flame but it doesn't really have nothing to do with MU experience, as you can mix when you cancel your strings into it, if you do so. I play some Tiger myself and I do just that, works wonders.
Tiger's ex low fireball's +frames also work, you just can't jail with them.

Kuatan's unblockable works just like any other unblockable in the game, I don't see why it should OTG without meter, the only move that does that IN THE ENTIRE GAME is the stomp, another Goro move.
What I said about Kuatan's unblockable is that is a great guessing tool fullscreen, and it is.

The plus on block move Dragon Fang has is his EX low claw, you said the rest yourself.

That his damage is just average is true actually, nothing to argue with that. Pretty good none the less, at least for a Shinnok player like me :)

The gap he has on b12u2 is no big deal really, gaps stopped being a big deal a while ago, besides you can always use it to mix things up doing b121 or cancelling b12 in a safe special. Shinnok too has a huge gap between his shoulder charge and his MB to make it safe afterwards; it's annoying, but it very rarely gets punished and, unlike Goro, Shinnok can't mix it up.

Also in my first post I forgot to talk about his sweep, which is the best in game and surprisingly useful.

Udun

Noob
I think I answered most of the points, if not, i have to ask what answer you are looking for exactly :D I try to point out that Goro is just strong if you play his game. He is only surprisingly good against characters with bad backdashes. About his sweep you are totally right, its one of the best ones, cause its also a hkd. Goros great weakness is the bad recovery on nearly everything (except green fireballs since patch).

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
I think I answered most of the points, if not, i have to ask what answer you are looking for exactly :D I try to point out that Goro is just strong if you play his game. He is only surprisingly good against characters with bad backdashes. About his sweep you are totally right, its one of the best ones, cause its also a hkd. Goros great weakness is the bad recovery on nearly everything (except green fireballs since patch).
I'm not looking for any answers, I made a statement which you can disagree on by making a counter-statement, which is what I'm about to do to you:

Goro's recovery is amazing on almost everything and I don't see how you can say otherwise, that's actually his best feature. The only exception to this is his ex punchwalk, which's recovery you told me got nerfed in the last patch in favor of more chip and meter building. Besides that Goro is, as I've already said, always neutral or even plus after all his stuff, at most you'll see him at -2/-3.

Last edited:

Udun

Noob
His whiffrecovery is awful, I don't think how you can state that otherwise (normals, lowfireballs, flame, stomp, earthquake, commandgrab). Also that he has to cancel into punchwalk everything is not an advantage actually. Being -5 is just safe, nothing else, it's not goros turn to something and the fear of an expunchwalk afterwards is gone, cause it doesn't launch anymore. Also b3 is minus as hell (on whiff and on block), but actually its an important tool for tickthrows.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think he needs any major buffs, but he is far away from beeing broken. If he is, you can be sure he will be picked up by sonic within a second.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
His whiffrecovery is awful, I don't think how you can state that otherwise (normals, lowfireballs, flame, stomp, earthquake, commandgrab). Also that he has to cancel into punchwalk everything is not an advantage actually. Being -5 is just safe, nothing else, it's not goros turn to something and the fear of an expunchwalk afterwards is gone, cause it doesn't launch anymore. Also b3 is minus as hell (on whiff and on block), but actually its an important tool for tickthrows.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think he needs any major buffs, but he is far away from beeing broken. If he is, you can be sure he will be picked up by sonic within a second.
How's his whiff recoveries on low fireballs, flame, earthquake or stomp are any bad?

His whiff recovery on normals depends on the normal really, he's average on that (Bone Shaper and Takeda are those with almost no options besides very long whiff recovery normals).

His whiff recovery on the command grab is bad, that's true, just like ANY command grab should be. Now I know that this game also has Jason, but considering that you can't block command grabs, they HAVE TO be bad on recovery, no way to punish them otherwise.

Also he doesn't have to cancel everything in punchwalk, he just can do it, building tons of meter while doing so. If you do so to cover a gap and guess right, you can even hitconfirm the punchwalk into full combo.

Besides, the -5 is completely possible to disrespect from time to time with a 6f d1 and the MB mindgame.

thlityoursloat

kick kick
How's his whiff recoveries on low fireballs, flame, earthquake or stomp are any bad?

His whiff recovery on normals depends on the normal really, he's average on that (Bone Shaper and Takeda are those with almost no options besides very long whiff recovery normals).

His whiff recovery on the command grab is bad, that's true, just like ANY command grab should be. Now I know that this game also has Jason, but considering that you can't block command grabs, they HAVE TO be bad on recovery, no way to punish them otherwise.

Also he doesn't have to cancel everything in punchwalk, he just can do it, building tons of meter while doing so. If you do so to cover a gap and guess right, you can even hitconfirm the punchwalk into full combo.

Besides, the -5 is completely possible to disrespect from time to time with a 6f d1 and the MB mindgame.
Goro can't MB regular punchwalk on block, and EX punchwalk is -12 on block.

TheGangstaFace

Psn, Xbox, Twitter: TheGangstaFace
Why is this thread bumped and still getting bumped?
What do you mean? If this is a way of like shitting on the thread, I made this pre patch and I listed the positives of Goro and asked what's wrong with him because I don't know the mu too well. If you read through the whole thread then that got explained to me and there were good arguments made and I agreed with the community that he should get help. Now it's post-patch and they're discussing how good he is now

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
What do you mean? If this is a way of like shitting on the thread, I made this pre patch and I listed the positives of Goro and asked what's wrong with him because I don't know the mu too well. If you read through the whole thread then that got explained to me and there were good arguments made and I agreed with the community that he should get help. Now it's prepatch and they're discussing how good he is now
I was being serious lol
But I probably should of if read and not be lazy

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Has Goro won any major tournaments yet(post-buffs)?

This isn't me being condescending or sarcastic, I genuinely want to know.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
He can MB Ex Punchwalk a second time for plus frames. But he can't MB regular punchwalk on block
uh, the more you know. see? that's how you make a counter-argument, so Goro can't really disrespect his -frames on punchwalk with a d1, still think that cancelling strings into it to remove gaps, meter building and chip is a viable option though.

Yeah he's a decent a character, I just wish he had a better anti air. If he had something like Doomsday air grab that would be perfect
Isn't u1 (or u2) a good anti air? I know that it's good for anti crossups.

TheGangstaFace

Psn, Xbox, Twitter: TheGangstaFace
uh, the more you know. see? that's how you make a counter-argument, so Goro can't really disrespect his -frames on punchwalk with a d1, still think that cancelling strings into it to remove gaps, meter building and chip is a viable option though.
Against characters that don't have good mids he can for sure disrespect them off punchwalk. Like Tremor I'm sure

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
In comparison to other chars damage he's in the middle area. Goro's only launch-string midscreen (b1,2,u2) has a huge gap between 2 and U2 - Shinnok can use his f4 to combo, also other chars with 6-8f starters.

I hope, i covered most of your points. If something is missing, just ask :)
Actually it's up to 9f normals I believe.
https://testyourmight.com/threads/how-to-fight-goro-101.61852/

Goro has his issues.

The problem with Goro is this. If Goro wasn't able to hit-confirm his regular PW into EX and Launch this character would be ass, especially in Tigrar. People respect Tigrar ALOT because of PW and rightfully so, but if Goro wasn't able to hit-confirm it into a full combo, everybody should be holding up after any string Goro does.

Goro for sure got better after this patch, but alot of the threats are gone now, PW into EX PW is pretty much gone. Spending 2 meters for Goro is huge and depending on the situation of the match it really isn't worth it.

There has only been 1 person to play the DF Goro MU correctly to this day, and it was Sonic at NEC'17 vs Destroyer. Granted Destroyer doesn't play Goro all of the time like he used to, but Destroyer was playing very unsafe with Goro, doing non-existent low fang mix-ups and Sonic punished him just about every single time, I think the only time he didn't he went for a 212 punish with Cassie, which is an actual punish just mistimed it.

Goro is very solid, but still has flaws. Flaws that will always prevent him from being top 10.