What's new

Question - Goro Why does Goro need buffs?

TheGangstaFace

Psn, Xbox, Twitter: TheGangstaFace
So I see plenty of the community still crying for Goro to get buffs. I've known things about goro but I just decided to really double check some things in practice.

By my understanding this character gets: good damage, a 8f command grab, an unblockable, punchwalk which is -5 and you can hit confirm into a launcher and ex'd is a restand AND it has 2 hits of armor AND beats Cassie's and Sonyas invincibility. He's plus or safe on most of his strings. If you're in Tigrar Fury (don't know much about dragon fangs) he's plus 12 off the dragon breath. He can cancel ANY strings that are cancellable into punchwalk to make it a block string. He has a 6f d1 and d3. I also forgot to mention that because punchwalk is -5. Guess what? Armor trap:) Also Goro is an anti crossup God with u1 or u2. He's even got an overhead big leg

Goro community. Explain the downplay to me because I don't get it. (Yes I know in Tigrar Fury his low fireball whiffs in the corner off some strings. That needs to be fixed)

Bruno-NeoSpace

They see me zonin', they hatin'
So I see plenty of the community still crying for Goro to get buffs. I've known things about goro but I just decided to really double check some things in practice.

By my understanding this character gets: good damage, a 8f command grab, an unblockable, punchwalk which is -5 and you can hit confirm into a launcher and ex'd is a restand AND it has 2 hits of armor AND beats Cassie's and Sonyas invincibility. He's plus or safe on most of his strings. If you're in Tigrar Fury (don't know much about dragon fangs) he's plus 12 off the dragon breath. He can cancel ANY strings that are cancellable into punchwalk to make it a block string. He has a 6f d1 and d3. I also forgot to mention that because punchwalk is -5. Guess what? Armor trap:) Also Goro is an anti crossup God with u1 or u2. He's even got an overhead big leg

Goro community. Explain the downplay to me because I don't get it. (Yes I know in Tigrar Fury his low fireball whiffs in the corner off some strings. That needs to be fixed)
A lot of people wants all characters at the same level of Alien and Mileena... so sad...
It's much better to nerf a lot the S tier and S- tier characters, nerf a little the A+ tier characters, buff a little the B- tier and B tier characters, so, all characters would be at the same level of Kitana and Bo' Rai Cho that's much more balanced.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
anything thats safe is an "armor trap" so you don't need to mention that, kinda goes without saying

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
Um cuz he is the Old MK Boss and top 3 in latter later on, His every exsistance is strong, and he is not in this game, he falls short of that standard so naturally he is gonna get Buffs:) Duhhh:p

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
Yea...character is kind of underrated...even by me sometimes xD . Like, he's good in the current version of the game, imagine after patch. Only variation that might and I mean MIGHT need help is Kuatan warrior but even then it has its uses.

Last edited:

TheGangstaFace

Yea...character is kind of underrated...even by me sometimes xD . Like, he's good in the current version of the game, imagine after patch. Only variation that might and I mean MIGHT need help is Kuatan warrior but even then it has its uses.
Otg nerfs fucked a lot of characters

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
Otg nerfs fucked a lot of characters
The FIRST thing I thought of when that patch cane through was "fucking RIP Kuatan" that was such a huge part of that character as a whole. I think if they toned down the scaling on his OTG that'd be like the only thing he'd need to be as good as the other two. But damn Dragon's Fangs is good. EX BF2 is +17 or something stupid like that and the character's meter build is insane. His staggers are terrifying because they involve staggering FUCKING PUNCH WALKS together. Character is nuts, wish more people played him, he's so fun too.

TheGangstaFace

The FIRST thing I thought of when that patch cane through was "fucking RIP Kuatan" that was such a huge part of that character as a whole. I think if they toned down the scaling on his OTG that'd be like the only thing he'd need to be as good as the other two. But damn Dragon's Fangs is good. EX BF2 is +17 or something stupid like that and the character's meter build is insane. His staggers are terrifying because they involve staggering FUCKING PUNCH WALKS together. Character is nuts, wish more people played him, he's so fun too.
Pumped up got really fucked from that too

Goro doesnt need buffs people want him buffed because hes harder to win with I will say that he does lack a good ranged mid but with his frame data hed be too good so keep him how he is i love current goro especially after speed buff

Solomon Gorondy

Should Goro be top 5?
OK, Ill go through the post piece by piece...

Good Damage? The only good damage that Goro has is his B1 meter-less combos where he deals roughly 34%, If the opponent is airborne before being launched the damage is drastically reduced. B1 and every possible attack that follows can be blocked low so it's basically relegated to a close range punish. Goro's only low combo-starter (Back+3) is unsafe on block and can only combo into Punchwalk for a grand total of less than 20% damage meter-less. If B3 hits an airborne foe they will more than likely fall out off the combo. When Goro lands an overhead it will only combo into Punchwalk for a meter-less grand total of less than 20%. Keep in mind a meter-less Punchwalk sends the opponent flying across screen to safely recover. So given this information you may say spend a bar to extend the combo and get 34%+ but do note that Goro is almost always starved for meter since he has no armor without it.

His Command Grab? If I recall correctly, it deals 14% and is full combo punishable; the risk of using it is never in his favor. Have you noticed the hard knockdown leaves his foe just outside of Goro's reach unless he is in the corner? Commando Kano gets 18% damage and the ability to immediately pressure his foe mid-screen. Also notice the amount of meter that Shokan Grab awards it's victim, It's a ridiculous amount considering it's his primary combo-ender.. This is not a good Command Grab but Goro must play the hand he was dealt and this move is a big part of his offense.

An Unblockable? Stomp Right? If it even has a chance to hit, you're talking about a move that at best has a 1 in 3 chance of hitting for a total of 10% or get full-combo punished. It is so slow that anyone can react to it and if they have the right movement such as Scorpions teleport, Sub-Zero/Reptile's Slide, etcetera, there is no possible way for Stomp to hit. Ex Crush can be used as a decent anti-air or wake-up attack but that's it. Stomp was a good combo-ender before OTGs suffered from combo-scaling.

Punchwalk? This is a good move no doubt but lets not pretend it's a holy hand grenade. I wish it would always re-stand an opponent when enhanced, in fact it is just as likely to waste the bar and drop an airborne foe on the ground like the meter-less version. Enhanced it does have 2 hits of armor which allows it to beat many things that 1 hit of armor cannot. It is good and Goro needs it. Hell, give it 2 or 3% more damage so his combo's aren't so weak.

+ or safe on most strings? Most of his +stuff is barely usable and he is almost always at minus frames. This is a game with Alien, Johnny Cage, Mileena, Sonya, and Quan-Chi levels of block advantage; Goro is relatively poor in this department.

Dragon's Breath? Always causes pushback even in the corner so Goro cannot reach his foe with anything but a big leg. Thanks to the enormous start-up of the move and push-back, there is always a gap before and after the move is used. It is only accessible to one variation and it's not overpowered if you take it to the training room.

6 frame D1 and D3? You are correct sir. They do not start combos, are negative on block, and on hit he has advantage. I think he deserves the D1.

Armor Trap? Most every character in the game has an armor trap. Goro's just happens to be rather good because of Punchwalk. Again I stress Goro is extremely meter reliant and can't always afford the meter.

U1 and U2? But what if Goro pressed down within 5 frames of using U1/U2? He uses Stomp and gets full combo punished for it because Special moves take priority over normal attacks. This is a forced input error that there is no solution for. Also we have a block button; cross-ups aren't even mix-ups in this game.

Big Leg? F4 is one ovehead hit, is slow, and only combo's in the corner. I'm surprised you mentioned it.

Lots of info there for people to dissect, mostly about how his strengths aren't as strong as people think. Please note some of his glaring weaknesses such as having a huge hurt-box, horrible dashes, the worst projectile in the game, a useless X-Ray, and a useless variation in Kuatan Warrior.

Last edited:

Tweedy

Noob
You can't talk about a 6 frame poke with great range, say "they don't start combos", and expect people to take what you're saying seriously. Most people will just see that and stop there. You know when you read someone talking about MK on Facebook or on twitch, and they say "oh my god this Kitana is spamming", and you tune them out because they just have no idea what they're talking about. That's no different than downplaying a retarded poke by saying that it doesn't start a combo lol.

Give Kung Lao a 4 frame D1. I don't care if that's broke. It doesn't start a combo.

Solomon Gorondy

Should Goro be top 5?
You can't talk about a 6 frame poke with great range, say "they don't start combos", and expect people to take what you're saying seriously. Most people will just see that and stop there. You know when you read someone talking about MK on Facebook or on twitch, and they say "oh my god this Kitana is spamming", and you tune them out because they just have no idea what they're talking about. That's no different than downplaying a (soap bar in my mouth) poke by saying that it doesn't start a combo lol.

Give Kung Lao a 4 frame D1. I don't care if that's broke. It doesn't start a combo.
I'm not downplaying his poke hence the prior sentence,"you are correct sir." I'm merely pointing out it works just as any other D1 does but faster. Notice how I said he deserves the D1 but made no mention of D3 thus implying that he does not deserve that move. Also it is quite different than your analogy, "no different," is complete hyperbole.

Last edited:

TheGangstaFace

OK, Ill go through the post piece by piece...

Good Damage? The only good damage that Goro has is his B1 meter-less combos where he deals roughly 34%, If the opponent is airborne before being launched the damage is drastically reduced. B1 and every possible attack that follows can be blocked low so it's basically relegated to a close range punish. Goro's only low combo-starter (Back+3) is unsafe on block and can only combo into Punchwalk for a grand total of less than 20% damage meter-less. If B3 hits an airborne foe they will more than likely fall out off the combo. When Goro lands an overhead it will only combo into Punchwalk for a meter-less grand total of less than 20%. Keep in mind a meter-less Punchwalk sends the opponent flying across screen to safely recover. So given this information you may say spend a bar to extend the combo and get 34%+ but do note that Goro is almost always starved for meter since he has no armor without it.

His Command Grab? If I recall correctly, it deals 14% and is full combo punishable; the risk of using it is never in his favor. Have you noticed the hard knockdown leaves his foe just outside of Goro's reach unless he is in the corner? Commando Kano gets 18% damage and the ability to immediately pressure his foe mid-screen. Also notice the amount of meter that Shokan Grab awards it's victim, It's a ridiculous amount considering it's his primary combo-ender.. This is not a good Command Grab but Goro must play the hand he was dealt and this move is a big part of his offense.

An Unblockable? Stomp Right? If it even has a chance to hit, you're talking about a move that at best has a 1 in 3 chance of hitting for a total of 10% or get full-combo punished. It is so slow that anyone can react to it and if they have the right movement such as Scorpions teleport, Sub-Zero/Reptile's Slide, etcetera, there is no possible way for Stomp to hit. Ex Crush can be used as a decent anti-air or wake-up attack but that's it. Stomp was a good combo-ender before OTGs suffered from combo-scaling.

Punchwalk? This is a good move no doubt but lets not pretend it's a holy hand grenade. I wish it would always re-stand an opponent when enhanced, in fact it is just as likely to waste the bar and drop an airborne foe on the ground like the meter-less version. Enhanced it does have 2 hits of armor which allows it to beat many things that 1 hit of armor cannot. It is good and Goro needs it. Hell, give it 2 or 3% more damage so his combo's aren't so weak.

+ or safe on most strings? Most of his +stuff is barely usable and he is almost always at minus frames. This is a game with Alien, Johnny Cage, Mileena, Sonya, and Quan-Chi levels of block advantage; Goro is relatively poor in this department.

Dragon's Breath? Always causes pushback even in the corner so Goro cannot reach his foe with anything but a big leg. Thanks to the enormous start-up of the move and push-back, there is always a gap before and after the move is used. It is only accessible to one variation and it's not overpowered if you take it to the training room.

6 frame D1 and D3? You are correct sir. They do not start combos, are negative on block, and on hit he has advantage. I think he deserves the D1.

Armor Trap? Most every character in the game has an armor trap. Goro's just happens to be rather good because of Punchwalk. Again I stress Goro is extremely meter reliant and can't always afford the meter.

U1 and U2? But what if Goro pressed down within 5 frames of using U1/U2? He uses Stomp and gets full combo punished for it because Special moves take priority over normal attacks. This is a forced input error that there is no solution for. Also we have a block button; cross-ups aren't even mix-ups in this game.

Big Leg? F4 is one high hit, is slow, and only combo's in the corner. I'm surprised you mentioned it.

Lots of info there for people to dissect, mostly about how his strengths aren't as strong as people think. Please note some of his glaring weaknesses such as having a huge hurt-box, horrible dashes, the worst projectile in the game, a useless X-Ray, and a useless variation in Kuatan Warrior.
He's meter reliant but has no reason to spend meter unless it's for punchwalk or in Tigrar fury he gets a low launcher. Btw you said his low (which is a just a normal) is negative? Why would I just use the low normal lmao. Obviously it's always gonna be canceled into punchwalk. He gets s3d3 (not exactly sure if that's the command) which gives him armor breaking ability without spending meter and mixup potential (more Meterless damage if you hit the overhead btw) also yes there's a gap between dragon breath but it's +12 so it damn well better have a gap. Also f3 after the flame catches backdashes I believe (friend tested it yesterday, blow me up for his mistake if he's wrong lol). Btw I'm not sure how familiar you are with other characters command grabs but they're all negative except Jason's (that needs to be fixed honestly) and the big leg is overhead. Not high. Also u1/u2 I can see the stomp coming out being a problem but if you anti air with it you can get a good chunk of damage off the b1 string into a full combo. Stomp is just a mu problem with the slides. Finally you said most of his + stuff is barely useable? Everything he has is safe or plus and I noticed the stuff I saw that was negative I've NEVER seen anyone use because they're useless

TheGangstaFace

You can't talk about a 6 frame poke with great range, say "they don't start combos", and expect people to take what you're saying seriously. Most people will just see that and stop there. You know when you read someone talking about MK on Facebook or on twitch, and they say "oh my god this Kitana is spamming", and you tune them out because they just have no idea what they're talking about. That's no different than downplaying a (soap bar in my mouth) poke by saying that it doesn't start a combo lol.

Yeah I forgot to mention the poke thing. Also his d1 is -5 I think? And his d3 is -4. That's good af for pokes