What's new

Why Do You Play/Main Sheeva

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
I main Sheeva mostly just because I love the satisfaction of winning as the underdog. I first was attracted to playing her purely because everyone was saying that she was terrible, and I love repping low tier, but I soon realized that she was by far one of the most fun to play and rewarding characters in any fighting game I have ever played, and I fell in love. It's cool to me that she towers over all of the other characters, and I also sort of have a thing for kinda weird, fucked up looking characters(I main Voldo in SCV/IV), so she fit me perfectly. She also has a very different play style from all of the other characters in MK9 which sets her apart even further from the rest of the cast. She is a sort seudo-grappler, with some nice armor and all around solid damage, that requires good predictions and MU knowledge to play effectively. All of these traits also make her one of the best characters for getting into your opponents head, which is something I really like. She's also one of the least used characters online, so it kind of makes me a bit of an anomaly on the very rare occasions that I decide to play this game's terrible online. When you play a garbage tier character, it makes your losses less bad and your wins wayyy better. Its kind of the "low risk high reward" approach. If you lose to a Kabal first round, so what? I was using Sheeva. Everybody just respects you for repping Sheeva at a tourney. You beat any character considered to be just slightly high-tier and everyone goes absolutely apeshit and gives your opponent a bunch of crap for losing to a Sheeva. Win-Win! haha

My only gripe with Sheeva is that her 2, 1, 2, F+1, BF+3 doesn't hit Kitana and Mileena :/ My muscle memory never seems to want to adjust to ending the string with DF+2 on the fly :(

Not sure if you're serious or trolling lol, but this mentality bugs me because a win is a win and a loss is a loss, they don't count more or less because of who we play.

I mean there's a difference between being proud that you overcame a bad match up and using the fact that you're playing a low tier as a crutch or excuse/why your losses don't matter or why your wins are worth more.

We choose who we play at the end of the day.

It was a little bit of both. It's just kind of a joke between me and my friends. I play with a really tight local group and thats something they always give me crap about. I didn't mean to come off as if I was using Sheeva as an excuse to make up for my shortcomings as a player. Looking back at my post, that IS basically what I said, but i promise you that I play Sheeva purely because I enjoy playing her and because she fits my play style. I have worked really hard to find out ways to overcome her bad MUs so that I can play her at a
competitive level. I knew she would take a lot of practice, but i didnt mind because she was so damn cool. Sorry that I came off like an idiot in my first post, but I did want to make sure that I expressed that I honestly was attracted to her as a character(and as an 8 foot, four-armed alien woman) AT FIRST because she was a sort of underdog that most people viewed as being a character that was not viable at the competitive level.