What's new

Question Why do so many people think he's #1 or #2?

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
I dont see it. Obviously he's a good character defensively, however he's probably one of the easiest to defend against, just hold down, or back if you see back 2. He has no way to force you into a stand block without using slow reactable overheads. Fair enough if you eat a couple of them now and again, it'll happen, but it's not as if it's not possible.

His movement is terrible and he has NO means of getting off the ground.

The only option his F2 1+3 ender gives him is either dash in F1 (which 6f moves will still trade with anyway) or FTD. Everything else is interuptable. His 223 ender is probably better if you want to get a string out before you can be interupted.

Now I'm not sure if this is just me seeing the game through my own characters eyes, but I'm pretty certain defending against Aquaman is a universal tactic. Just don't let him hit you, not as hard as it sounds, at least compared to other characters.

I'm not fussed where people see him, but he's clearly not the best in the game.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
People describe Batman in a similar way (just block low, pushblock and fuzzy his overheads, easy as 1-2-3) but in practice, getting offense in while not getting hit seems to be easier said than done.

Aquaman is feared just as much for chip, regardless of his ability to open you up. And when you get to him, depending on the matchup trait might ruin your efforts.

You have to move at some point, and AM's range usually means that he has a better chance of interrupting your movement than you have of doing the same to him. He's not a rushdown character, but he has everything he needs for footsies.

I hear what you're saying, but isn't that an oversimplification?

Last edited:

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
B12xxMBtridentrush
It's good, but it's not good enough to win an entire match with, and not against the entire cast.

People describe Batman in a similar way (just block low, pushblock and fuzzy his overheads, easy as 1-2-3) but in practice, getting offense in while not getting hit seems to be easier said than done.

Aquaman is feared just as much for chip, regardless of his ability to open you up. And when you get to him, depending on the matchup trait might ruin your efforts.

I hear what you're saying, but is that an oversimplification?
I've only come to the conclusion by putting it into practice. Similar rules could be applied to Batman, but Batman has bats to cover the holes in his offense, and his knockdowns also give him pressure or time to charge bats anyway.

AM has little continuous offense after his knockdowns, unless he wants to take a risk. Also, picking the spots to press buttons against AM is definitely alot clearer.

SoundsLikePAUSE

Neptune's Beard!!!

I hear what you're saying, but is that an oversimplification?
My experience with his trait:

"Oh, nice. I landed an ice arrow. I'll just B3 him and-oh...well, there goes half my health bar."

XD Despite that, I still wouldn't say he's the best. I do agree he's top 5 though.

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
He just has pretty godlike tools.

B1 for footsies. A great d1 and d2. Good movement, good air normals, a tracking ground based projectile, and a massively chipping relatively safe cancel special.

Then on top of that he has the icing that is his trait and even water shield has a ton of versatility.

You probably are looking at it a little too much in the scope of WoWo and how you like to play.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
If he didn't have trident rush I would agree. Even if he loses a handful of MUs (generous by most standards, I know) he utterly poops on some chars, and could be top 5 through that merit.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
He just has pretty godlike tools.

B1 for footsies. A great d1 and d2. Good movement, good air normals, a tracking ground based projectile, and a massively chipping relatively safe cancel special.

Then on top of that he has the icing that is his trait and even water shield has a ton of versatility.

You probably are looking at it a little too much in the scope of WoWo and how you like to play.
I can agree to all that except for the moment part, his backdash usually gets him killed IMO.

Water shield seems good for getting the last hit and avoiding taking the last bit of damage yourself.

FTD tracking is good, but it doesn't really add any other factor to his game when you're trying to get close to him. The only time it should hit is when people get greedy and try to cover too much space at one time.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
I can agree to all that except for the moment part, his backdash usually gets him killed IMO.

Water shield seems good for getting the last hit and avoiding taking the last bit of damage yourself.

FTD tracking is good, but it doesn't really add any other factor to his game when you're trying to get close to him. The only time it should hit is when people get greedy and try to cover too much space at one time.
Listen

Pick up a character whose footsies in this game aren't WW, GL , MMH and play theo and talk to me then about this.

If I mained WW I'd say the same things you're saying

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
I agree that he's top 5, but I don't think he's top 2 at all. More and more characters are learning how to deal with him now.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Guilty, here's my over simplified flow chart on how to play WoWo vs BA:

Block high, fuzzy lows, tech throws spam iadg and anti air.
While ZOD is 5-5 against aqua an avg brain dead aqua will beat a better ZOD player if he doesn't fully know how to play the match and this is the case w many because it's next to impossible to play footsies against him unless you have tools like WW GL ba

This thread wouldn't exist if u mained ZOD and someone w no footsies

Hell even sinestro

FGC-Oni

Ascended One
MMH is definitely the best in the game if not next to the best. If we're talking bad match-ups lets change subjects for just a moment. Flash vs Lobo is definitely pretty tough. Granted Lobo isn't an easy character to use but I couldn't even get a pump-shot out last night without eating a full combo.

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main
While ZOD is 5-5 against aqua an avg brain dead aqua will beat a better ZOD player if he doesn't fully know how to play the match and this is the case w many because it's next to impossible to play footsies against him unless you have tools like WW GL ba

This thread wouldn't exist if u mained ZOD and someone w no footsies

Hell even sinestro
Agreed. It seems like all of Aquaman's equal MUs, the other person has to work so much harder. Just my perspective

coolwhip

Noob
I don't know about 1 or 2, but he's definitely top 5 as off right now. Forget how your character matches up with him and look at his tools. More importantly, look at his tools vis-a-vis how the game works.

For starters, he's got one of the best -- if not the best -- anti airs in a game where jumping is extremely strong. He's got great space controls and dominant footsie tools. Great normals in general. Great chip damage in a game where it's not easy to get. Good damage. A trait that gets him out of trouble in many 50/50 or vortex situations (which is huge in Injustice). 20% full screen damage with FTD (which can catch you jumping).

Yeah, his mix-ups are reactable, his oki game is weak, and his wake-ups are ass, but he'd be absolutely broken if they were actually good.

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main
MMH is definitely the best in the game if not next to the best. If we're talking bad match-ups lets change subjects for just a moment. Flash vs Lobo is definitely pretty tough. Granted Lobo isn't an easy character to use but I couldn't even get a pump-shot out last night without eating a full combo.
Is Lobo Aquaman now? I'm confused...

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
Does WoWo beat aqua or something?

also, I see a lot of mentioning about footsies and tools from WoWo, BA and GL. Frost doesn't have the tools they have or the footsies and she still beats him. I don't get it