What's new

Why Discord is ruining the community

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Now that I got you with the clickbait, let's talk about this.

If you're in a Discord chat for your character, at some point please share the knowledge publicly so newer players have access to the information, once it's fleshed out. Not implying anyone is withholding tech or info, I'm just saying don't be afraid to educate other players. The more educated the players are, the better off the community is as a whole. Especially if we are planning to dethrone the furry king of NRS!

Just wanted to throw that out there.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
For what's worth, I have been doing all that I can do make it easier for players to discuss their characters. I got the character icons installed immediately after a request, plus I immplemented @SneakyTortoise 's idea of making them accessible from the Home page.

I'm also working on a better mobile experience. Just think... I'm doing this JUST FOR the NRS players. ;)

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
PMs did the same in MKX -- they kept things local, but made info scattered and hard to find.

If you asked me what page a piece of info is in in the Takeda PM, I couldn't tell you.

It's nice when people periodically consolidate things into guides and info threads.

I jumped on discord because at one point at had to load 5 different pages to get to my character forum.

tym main page -> forums -> injustice series -> injustice 2 -> gorilla grodd.

Nice to have the character icons back- but yeah, just a couple days of that early in launch and I was like "f* **this".

But agreed, Discord is no good for archiving tech and collecting cumulative strategies and information about a character. It should be a standard pattern to have good stuff on the discord recorded back in the correct sub-forum.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
There's too many discords to keep up with for me and more keep springing up so I don't check them often. I think the real time chat format is fun for some people and how having more fluid conversations can be easier when brainstorming or just hanging out. The app is mobile friendly too.

As long as tech / guides / strategy stuff finds it's way here then I'm alright with both.

Yeah, as a newbie, it's been pretty disappointing the last couple of days. I don't know what the MKX forums were like on launch, so I can't really compare, but I'm sure it was better than this.

Some stuff is leaking out though so it's not all bad, I just wish there were more guides for stuff like the neutral game for specific characters.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
Speaking as someone who was in the D'vorrah PM the whole week I was aiming to be competitive in MKX, I support a more closed environment to drown out any white noise incoming while working out characters. With that said, if you withhold tech to try and gain a cheap advantage come tournament time, you are a dick

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
yeah honestly I regret making a discord channel for my character. I was hoping it would be just a fun thing for ivy players to talk and fuck around but the fact that our forum is so dead on this site where as the discord channel has 70 plus people in it is kind of ridiculous

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
I wanted to make a post like this. Discord is a waste. I feel like people went to it because of 1 of 2 things.

1: People wanted to hide their tech which is terrible for the community as no one levels up and noobs can't find the info which alienates them.

2: TYM has a reputation for toxic posts. That's why a lot of pro level players don't waste as much time here these days. People are so quick to want to shit all over other people instead of just have a discussion. These amazing players post good info that can be built upon only to have it rammed back down their throats. Tom Brady suffered from this heavily. I don't know about you but I'd rather have their posts about tech and matchups be sometimes wrong than never have them post at all.

Seriously...fuck Discord. Any discussion that happens there ends up having less eyes view it. The community doesn't grow that way. At the very least, players need to bring the solid info back here.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
I personally found the discords to be unhelpful. The discussions were scattered and you had to scroll through tons of messages to get to what you want to find. I'm hoping people eventually start posting tech again and ditch the discords, but that's probably wishful thinking.
Yeah that's also true. It's much better on a forum especially if it's organized in some fashion. And everyone can also see the character forums, not the case with Discord.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
We became bad when we started to discuss techs in private, it was the freaking worst and discord is now doing what TYM's PM did to MKX.

We as a community need to change and start talking about technical matters in public, things like illuminati top tiers group and such needs to die.

The only reason i'm on Tekken discord is because they have a bot that allows you to search for frame data of every single move in the game, and that's is maybe the only thing discord could be good for in general, specially for us if we managed to replicate the idea.

Icy Black Deep

Still training...
For what's worth, I have been doing all that I can do make it easier for players to discuss their characters.
I was happy to see the mods close the speculation threads when the game released. I know I've had the experience of looking into a new character and finding the first twenty pages of any thread are from people trying to guess combos from before the game even dropped.

Discord is good for talking things out while you're playing. For long term discussion, a forum is far superior. People can be part of the discussion at any time anywhere without having to participate in real time. I'd do discord to talk shit out with people and bullshit while I play but I want to come to a forum for real discussion.

And I only have one monitor for my PS4 and PC so switching between inputs to look at discord is a pain in my ass.