What's new

Why didnt NRS just make a Kompetitive and Kustom Kompetitive mode to begin with?

CO-KANO

psn: UNFUCxWITABLE_1
I feel almost cheated at the fact that I have various outstanding moves and variations that I can use in kasuals but no tourneys. I think it wouldve added to the depth and longevity of the game and they are simply missing opportunities by delaying DLC because The hype is fizzling. I dont know, just feels like they burned out. Can we make this thread populat enough so the devs at NRS add Kustoms to Kompetitive mode at least online?

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
They balanced the game around the variations they had chosen for the characters. They wanted the the true competitive tournament level play to be the most balanced it could be and thought that the variation special moves would tilt the game in a way that some characters would be overly dominate.

Whether this way of thinking is right or not, the game is pretty balanced at the moment. The top tiers are amazing, but they are more manageable to beat by the low tiers compared to any other NRS title in the past.

If they had Kustom Kompetitive, it would avert attention from what they designed to be their initial view of the most balanced experience.

t3kwytch3r

Stone-Kold-Zoner
I agree that it would have made a lot of sense to have Kasual / Kompetitive modes further divided into Kustoms and Tournament variations. Because i'm going to my first tourney in August, i'm strictly only using tourney variations until afterwards. Short term, this means i'm not enjoying the game to its fullest extent as one of its primary features is impractical for me to use.

However, in the long term this does make the game promising for me. Allows me to continue exploring parts of the game further into its life. It would be nice, when the time comes, to have some sort of ranking for custom variations. A Kustom Kombat league?

Maybe they have these things planned way down the road. Like after 2 years, the usual death knell for an NrS game, they release a new patch that balances ALL available abilities and announce the Kustom Pro Kompetition. If they were to fund that the same way they've funded these early tournaments, hype would surely be raised and many people would want to partake.

t3kwytch3r

Stone-Kold-Zoner
Also, @Circus raises a great point with NrS's intention to balance the game. Balance is tricky to get right without thousands of people putting millions of hours into playtesting. For the most part, each character has AT LEAST 1 variation that suits them and the meta well. The parts of the game that are imbalanced are actually other factors: 50/50 machines, KB difficulty (or lack thereof) or Damage output.

I think their initial view of the balance is admirably good. Far deeper understanding of fundamentals than shown previously, and very promising for the future of the games life.

CO-KANO

psn: UNFUCxWITABLE_1
Yall make some strong points, its just personall, i play MK11 a lot but i am konsidered a kasual still

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
I feel almost cheated at the fact that I have various outstanding moves and variations that I can use in kasuals but no tourneys. I think it wouldve added to the depth and longevity of the game and they are simply missing opportunities by delaying DLC because The hype is fizzling. I dont know, just feels like they burned out. Can we make this thread populat enough so the devs at NRS add Kustoms to Kompetitive mode at least online?
Been saying this since the beginning of launch. Thats what made the beta tests so fucking fun because everybody play their character however they wanted to and the slot system created balance by either taking out one of their base moves or making the move be 2 slots. People that are still saying "OH BECAUSE MAH BALANCE" sound dumb as hell at this point. And because of it, we have a game 2 months in that already feels stale.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
Honestly I don't feel keeping balance is an excuse to not allow customs. They could just add customs in ranked and then balance a month later accordingly. Unbalanced Tiers will always happen in fighting games as changes are made which can be corrected. If changes aren't made then the games get stale and lose players

trufenix

bye felicia
So that they can patch more in later to extend the life of the product without necessarily influencing the tournament market.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
I struggled with the locked moveset even with INJ 2. It's like if I know there's no way I'm ever going to try and compete offline, why am I willingly playing the game locked out of available moves/playstyles? I mean I play ranked and Kombat League sure but damn I feel like I'm deliberately not playing content that's ALREADY in the game.

xKMMx

Banned
I don't know how much 16 Bit truly had control or influence on characters move sets and abilities but....

Multiple times during the kombat kasts while demoing a character he would say things like "I gave him/her this move."

So if he really did have that much control or input it's not surprising to me that the game is kinda messy. I mean he is a former tournament player and all but I don't know if he has any qualifications beyond that to be a DEV.

Overall this whole conversation is nothing new. Just kinda obvious they rushed this game a ton and released it knowing it was far from finished. But we all still play it and have at least some fun with it. So for me I'm just gonna stay positive and hope they clean it up right for the future of the game.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
I don't know how much 16 Bit truly had control or influence on characters move sets and abilities but....

Multiple times during the kombat kasts while demoing a character he would say things like "I gave him/her this move."

So if he really did have that much control or input it's not surprising to me that the game is kinda messy. I mean he is a former tournament player and all but I don't know if he has any qualifications beyond that to be a DEV.

Overall this whole conversation is nothing new. Just kinda obvious they rushed this game a ton and released it knowing it was far from finished. But we all still play it and have at least some fun with it. So for me I'm just gonna stay positive and hope they clean it up right for the future of the game.
She's a QA so she's not talking about designing characters broad stroke, she was referring to giving custom variations certain moves.

I dig your optimistic attitude btw.

xKMMx

Banned
She's a QA so she's not talking about designing characters broad stroke, she was referring to giving custom variations certain moves.

I dig your optimistic attitude btw.
Well what can you do ya know. The game in its current state is what it is and all we can do is play it the way it is now and try to learn ways to play around the flaws without getting TOO salty about any of it.

hopefully it will change. If it doesn't I'm sure a great majority of us will be done with this game by Christmas.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
Honestly I don't feel keeping balance is an excuse to not allow customs. They could just add customs in ranked and then balance a month later accordingly. Unbalanced Tiers will always happen in fighting games as changes are made which can be corrected. If changes aren't made then the games get stale and lose players

JTC

ABILITY TO FREEZE
I think not allowing Kustom variations in ranked/tournaments in a game designed around them has been the most stupid decision NRS could make.
That was their whole marketing lmao.

However if youre a competitive player you can fuck right off.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
being able to make your own variations brings creativity to the table which is nice instead of regurgitating the same ol same ol stuff with each character.

TheGlow

Retired Noob
There shouldn't even be variations. create the 6 or so moves for each chars, 2-3 end up being pointless so you just focus on the other 3, and call it a day.

There's still too much fucked up stuff in custom variations. Scorpion with Sin Blade and Tele Cancel is too much. Sub Zero with Air Axe and fast iceball is too much. Kabal custom is still insanity.

I think the better way forward is to add more ranked variations and fix the obvious shit ones.

Getting just two instead of three each at launch was a pretty bad deal though. This is absolutely worth fixing before Evo.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Comp mode is supposed to be modeled around actual offline competitive play. Since custom variations aren’t legal offline, they wouldn’t have put a mode for it under the ‘competitive’ heading.

There also wouldn’t be much point if they weren’t going to balance them, which it seems like they might not be ready to do yet.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
If nrs really was worried about balance for kustom variation, then who the hell was in charge for balance in krushing blows? Why give some characters that already are good more and better krushing blows? Why do some characters have 2 krushing blows after throws?

If balance was the main reason for custom variations then that seems a fraudulent excuse.

The game's an unbalanced unfun mess anyway. Why not make it an unbalanced fun mess?
Play kasual. its a thing. you try developing and balancing 26 characters and keeping it interesting, two variations makes 52? i think they did a damn good job of it. you can play, online, against matchmaking, local with the boys, whatever, as custom as u wanna be, are you demanding NRS give you permission to compete for money with that one unbalanced combo extending move kabals got? or some specific combo? if its an issue for you thats probably why you cant compete with it. customization ripens ground for unlevel game parameters, damaging (severely) any viability for actual competetion. id rather have a contest of reflex and skill then play a game of “who found the most broke special moves”, they have kasual matches for that. this is the type of debate that puts caluses on my temples, all the forehead rubbing is gonna give me tendonitis too bad to keep playing the game.

I struggled with the locked moveset even with INJ 2. It's like if I know there's no way I'm ever going to try and compete offline, why am I willingly playing the game locked out of available moves/playstyles? I mean I play ranked and Kombat League sure but damn I feel like I'm deliberately not playing content that's ALREADY in the game.
inj 2 didnt have enough variety for you? theres so much wackadoo craziness going on in that (well populated) roster u could keep it interesting for a couple lifetimes...