What's new

Why did you care when customs were made tournament legal?

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
Customs where in it from day 1. People who chose not to play it and got excited and waited until it was in ranked were limiting their own fun. It effected the very few number of players that actually competed properly and do well. Why do people in this community decide to act like their pros and limit their own fun by choice?

I understand liking ranked modes, and being happy that it was added to this game mode. But I know that so many players had never really touched custom before it was tournament legal, just because it wasn't tournament legal. Even if they were to just to play a casual set with someone online, they would stick to tournament legal variations even outside of ranked, while protesting that this game needs customs to stop it dying and be fun. Why? There are other game modes, customs is there, you chose not to use it. They made it available in one extra game mode with added restrictions. Thats nice. But customs wasn't new content. And the NRS get praised for doing something that should have been there from day 1, and it still didn't make the game fun, I was playing them from day 1 and still got bored. I just don't get it.

Shed some light, practically none of us who use this site are serious pro, successful tournament players. So if this is you, why did you care so much that they were made tournament legal? Did you refuse to touch (or barely touch other than to occasionally mess around) customs if you wanted it so bad? I'm curious.

Tldr: Making customs available in ranked, with more limits, added next to nothing to the average players experience. It was always there to play if you wanted it.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Serious players (even below the professional level) are going to spend the majority of time playing with and against what they’re going to face/see in tournament (or in Kombat League/sets if they aren’t competing), etc. Because if they aren’t, the better competition will be.

The second reason is that there were some pretty broken things in Customs that weren’t dealt with until Ultimate, and the first Facebook tournament with customs a couple years ago highlighted that massively.

With that said, most of us at least dabbled in customs for fun even before they were unlocked. But if I’m trying to get better, I’m going to spend my time where most of the better players are going to be.

Zviko

Noob
I currently don't play in tournaments but I do have competitive personality. Ranked gives me sense of improvement and like Crimson said that's where the better players are so potential from improvement is higher. Also I like the variety of players, 2-3game set and then move to the next one instead of a long set with the same player and character which is what people prefer in casuals.

BKV2

BloodRayne for MK1
Simple. As the above posters said that’s where the better players are. Everyone always wants to play in the mode the majority of people are in so they can accurately gauge where they stand with everyone skill wise. In Injustice 2 the majority of people in the casuals were terrible and really just focused on big tank builds that could do the cool unlockable moves cause they grinded for it.

i mean if you played the beta or even towers; you basically already knew what it was like. we were for some part fed the idea that customs were the way, they canned it, and then we were stuck with 2 var with an increase to 3 var and maybe even a 4th var. i mean they were balancing custom moves before they even got made official. people are playing ranked to play ranked and what comes with it. if customs aren't allowed then who cares? not the ranked players obviously. beta mk11 was the best version of mk11

Because I couldn't play my characters the way I wanted in Kombat League. With this change I can get the skins and gear and have the freedom to pick what abilities I want.

People want to pretend that they are in a live tournament and think kasuals are for scrubs.

That's your answer.

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
Yeah I get the idea of liking ranked for the competition. But it's when people acted like its SUCH a big deal and change to have customs available in that one game mode. I played ranked, and I liked it. I also played customs a lot. It's why do people decide to play ranked exclusively, whilst complaining about customs not being tournament legal, when all you had to do was come out of ranked and go into custom and have the fun you were asking for. OK it wasn't in ranked? So what? Also the idea of thats where the competition is is BS, ranked players are just as bad or good as other gamemodes. And would argue a long set is more competitive than seeing who loses 2 games first.

I get it, but why not just play both rather than a "dabble" ? And sure some custom moves were broken, but it's not like everyone was just using those moves, you can play a couple games against the broken moves then move on to a new player. Its the complaining about ranked not being custom, when customs are there for you anyway to play whenever you want. Youre not a high level tournament player, so why get so irate about it. I get being happy it was implemented, but it was the extent and praising NRS for adding something "new" which was always there from day 1.

It just confused and frustrated me a bit. Like stop complaining and just play the game mode you wanted! You waited a year and half for no reason!

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
I did because I liked the balance, a lot of kustoms weren't there yet and they changed up a lot to add those those third variations. The UI didn't even tell you what moves the opponent had did a while and they also did a ton of system mechanic and QoL changes.

I enjoy the game more now but I also feel that I don't have a consistent variation on my main anymore. I know they aren't just gonna buff my hipster Shang variation when I could fix the var's bad counter zoning by using Smoke parry. Not automatically a bad thing but I wanna feel like I have my tools and not question my loadout in different matchups.