What's new

Breakthrough - Butcher Why Butcher Is Underrated and LF's Top Variation.

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
Hello everyone! CrazyFingers here and I am going to go over a few things about Killer vs Butcher as far as which is better. By the title you can probably tell my opinion on this but let me explain. Now, anyone who has talked about Leatherface and where he is in the game has either heard or stated "Killer is the best variation" and "Butcher is the worst variation" however, it might actually be the other way around. You see I've realized that what Killer has vs what Butcher has is fairly skewed by a couple things that aren't AS good as people make them out to be. These tools that Killer has are definitely good, but the gameplan has more holes in it. I'll give an example.

EXAMPLE
Let's say you are playing a character with decent buttons like Jason or Kotal and your opponent picks Killer Leatherface. Now depending on your experience with this matchup, you are thinking one of two things "This is going to be tough" or "I have D1". That second thought is the correct one. Killer Leatherface definitely has ways to get your respect, D3 checks and Berserker Stance 1 as your mid. However, you aren't going to get your pressure going by just doing those two things, you need to use your good strings which are all highs which means low pokes make his game harder. He's not like Tremor where his knockdown game is godlike and that balances out his lack of mids. Killer's gameplan hinges on respect, something that is so damn hard for Killer to do. He has barely any plus frames on block and if he does, they can be low poked. Now keep in mind this does not take away from his strengths. He has some of the best non-zoning space control in the game, he has a very good punish in F1 and very good mind games with Berserker Stance. However, his gameplan hinges on if your opponent decides to fall into the black hole that is Berserker stance. If they do not understand what it does or simply when to do things, they are going to get blown up by everything you do and he looks like a god tier character, but this isn't the case in all reality. Now, let's take this same scenario, your low pokes are of the caliber of Jason and Kotal and instead you are up against Butcher. If the player behind this character knows the character, Butcher commands respect with his arsenal. He has a usable overhead and a usable low. His D3 doesn't simply lead into another D3 or a F1 that can be disrespected with a simple D1. Butcher can go for more in that situation. His ability to actually open you up with relative ease is so huge for the character. The 50/50 style isn't the only strong one, but this IS the case if you have no mid, you cannot play a pure neutral stagger string game without a mid, because it is too easily disrespected. Take for example Kotal Kahn. This character lives eats and breathes stagger, it is show in all his variations and is one of the main tools he uses to open people up aside from War God. Why can he do this? Because B1 demands your respect, it's a mid and you can't mash low pokes out of it. Now granted, a person mashing D1 out of pressure doesn't make characters bad, but it can certainly make them not optimal.

Now let's look at another character who lacks great mids but is still a formidable fighter, Predator. Predator is able to put you in a blender and make sure your never get out. How can he do this though? How does he get respect without that vital mid. Well you see, he doesn't play a stagger game, he plays one of two games. Plus frames into mixups, or just outright one touch kill. He doesn't need the mid, because of his plethora of plus frames in HQT or his ability to end the game by hitting you with a trap once in hunter. His gameplane does not revolve around staggers therefor he doesn't need that mid, which is why Warrior struggles so much because in the neutral he CLEARLY wants to stagger into BF1 but he can't because his mids are abysmal and he can only get going in the corner, which he has a problem getting to. However, not having a mid does not kill the stagger playstyle, enter my next example.

Erron Black is an anomaly. He has one of the best strings in the game with 21122. It does so much but it's a high. He is very good at the stagger style of play with things like S11 and of course, S21122. However he is known for his lack of really good mids. How does he do so well then? He certainly isn't a weak character, Outlaw having some of the best space control and pressure we've seen. How can he play the stagger game while also not having a solid mid? It's because he doesn't put all of his eggs in one basket. He is not a pure stagger pressure character like Blood God or Jason. He has the plus frames that HQT has (not quite as high but still has them) and he has 50/50's. The 50/50's allow him to gain respect much quicker than if he did not have them, and this is where Butcher comes in.

Butcher is very similar to Killer in the fact that he has strong staggers and good space control (less good space control than Killer but still fairly effective at it) And yet I have stated that he has no good mids but at the same time COMMANDS respect. Why is that? The answer is quite a typical Mortal Kombat player's answer but that doesn't make it any less true. He has the mix. Again, Killer not having the mix doesn't make him bad, hell him not having a mid doesn't make him bad, I actually think Killer is quite good. However, Killer's effort hurts him quite a bit. You have to try for so much of the game to gain the respect of the opponent before he can start actually applying pressure. The more time you have to take for the opponent to respect you, the more the opponent is not respecting you and the more they're applying their own pressure. With Butcher, it's different. With Butcher it takes on D3 and a F2 to get the opponent to start respecting you. After they get hit with a mixup into a restand into another mixup is when they start getting scared, and this happens almost immediately with Butcher. Additionally, he has plus frames everywhere. S22 is plus, S22 into DF2 is plus and is a 50/50 with S22D2. DF2 as mentioned before, is plus and turns every block string into a 50/50 with DF2 being an Overhead and BF3 being a low. Granted, any string besides S22 into DF2 has a gap but this will not be abused 100% of the time because of the next bit, which is the fact that on top of all these tools you get instead of the range from Killer, you also still have your BEST staggers in S1 and F1. And when you gain respect instantly via the aspect of 50/50's, your highs are less likely to be poked out of and therefor, your stagger become that much better. Add to all of this craziness the fact that meterlessly you are getting 35% MINIMUM and that 35% is going into restands into pressure and you have a character that honestly, sounds like one of the most ridiculous characters in the game.

Butcher is HIGHLY underrated, even by me for the longest time. People talk about how the Kotals and the Jasons will be top tier after the patch...me? I'm waiting to see what monster they create if they buff Leatherface too much. If he's given a fast mid, he is by far top 3 after the nerfs to the current top tier, no doubt in my mind. So watch out for this monster after patch because when that comes...you will be mixed/staggered into oblivion by The Cannibal Hillbilly himself. Thanks for reading and let me know what you think. Am I crazy? Or am I just correct? Love to hear your opinions!

Last edited:

Immortal

Blind justice....
Hello everyone! CrazyFingers here and I am going to go over a few things about Killer vs Butcher as far as which is better. By the title you can probably tell my opinion on this but let me explain. Now, anyone who has talked about Leatherface and where he is in the game has either heard or stated "Killer is the best variation" and "Butcher is the worst variation" however, it might actually be the other way around. You see I've realized that what Killer has vs what Butcher has is fairly skewed by a couple things that aren't AS good as people make them out to be. These tools that Killer has are definitely good, but the gameplan has more holes in it. I'll give an example.

EXAMPLE
Let's say you are playing a character with decent buttons like Jason or Kotal and your opponent picks Killer Leatherface. Now depending on your experience with this matchup, you are thinking one of two things "This is going to be tough" or "I have D1". That second thought is the correct one. Killer Leatherface definitely has ways to get your respect, D3 checks and Berserker Stance 1 as your mid. However, you aren't going to get your pressure going by just doing those two things, you need to use your good strings which are all highs which means low pokes make his game harder. He's not like Tremor where his knockdown game is godlike and that balances out his lack of mids. Killer's gameplan hinges on respect, something that is so damn hard for Killer to do. He has barely any plus frames on block and if he does, they can be low poked. Now keep in mind this does not take away from his strengths. He has some of the best non-zoning space control in the game, he has a very good punish in F1 and very good mind games with Berserker Stance. However, his gameplan hinges on if your opponent decides to fall into the black hole that is Berserker stance. If they do not understand what it does or simply when to do things, they are going to get blown up by everything you do and he looks like a god tier character, but this isn't the case in all reality. Now, let's take this same scenario, your low pokes are of the caliber of Jason and Kotal and instead you are up against Butcher. If the player behind this character knows the character, Butcher commands respect with his arsenal. He has a usable overhead and a usable low. His D3 doesn't simply lead into another D3 or a F1 that can be disrespected with a simple D1. Butcher can go for more in that situation. His ability to actually open you up with relative ease is so huge for the character. The 50/50 style isn't the only strong one, but this IS the case if you have no mid, you cannot play a pure neutral stagger string game without a mid, because it is too easily disrespected. Take for example Kotal Kahn. This character lives eats and breathes stagger, it is show in all his variations and is one of the main tools he uses to open people up aside from War God. Why can he do this? Because B1 demands your respect, it's a mid and you can't mash low pokes out of it. Now granted, a person mashing D1 out of pressure doesn't make characters bad, but it can certainly make them not optimal.

Now let's look at another character who lacks great mids but is still a formidable fighter, Predator. Predator is able to put you in a blender and make sure your never get out. How can he do this though? How does he get respect without that vital mid. Well you see, he doesn't play a stagger game, he plays one of two games. Plus frames into mixups, or just outright one touch kill. He doesn't need the mid, because of his plethora of plus frames in HQT or his ability to end the game by hitting you with a trap once in hunter. His gameplane does not revolve around staggers therefor he doesn't need that mid, which is why Warrior struggles so much because in the neutral he CLEARLY wants to stagger into BF1 but he can't because his mids are abysmal and he can only get going in the corner, which he has a problem getting to. However, not having a mid does not kill the stagger playstyle, enter my next example.

Erron Black is an anomaly. He has one of the best strings in the game with 21122. It does so much but it's a high. He is very good at the stagger style of play with things like S11 and of course, S21122. However he is known for his lack of really good mids. How does he do so well then? He certainly isn't a weak character, Outlaw having some of the best space control and pressure we've seen. How can he play the stagger game while also not having a solid mid? It's because he doesn't put all of his eggs in one basket. He is not a pure stagger pressure character like Blood God or Jason. He has the plus frames that HQT has (not quite as high but still has them) and he has 50/50's. The 50/50's allow him to gain respect much quicker than if he did not have them, and this is where Butcher comes in.

Butcher is very similar to Killer in the fact that he has strong staggers and good space control (less good space control than Killer but still fairly effective at it) And yet I have stated that he has no good mids but at the same time COMMANDS respect. Why is that? The answer is quite a typical Mortal Kombat player's answer but that doesn't make it any less true. He has the mix. Again, Killer not having the mix doesn't make him bad, hell him not having a mid doesn't make him bad, I actually think Killer is quite good. However, Killer's effort hurts him quite a bit. You have to try for so much of the game to gain the respect of the opponent before he can start actually applying pressure. The more time you have to take for the opponent to respect you, the more the opponent is not respecting you and the more they're applying their own pressure. With Butcher, it's different. With Butcher it takes on D3 and a F2 to get the opponent to start respecting you. After they get hit with a mixup into a restand into another mixup is when they start getting scared, and this happens almost immediately with Butcher. Additionally, he has plus frames everywhere. S22 is plus, S22 into DF2 is plus and is a 50/50 with S22D2. DF2 as mentioned before, is plus and turns every block string into a 50/50 with DF2 being an Overhead and BF3 being a low. Granted, any string besides S22 into DF2 has a gap but this will not be abused 100% of the time because of the next bit, which is the fact that on top of all these tools you get instead of the range from Killer, you also still have your BEST staggers in S1 and F1. And when you gain respect instantly via the aspect of 50/50's, your highs are less likely to be poked out of and therefor, your stagger become that much better. Add to all of this craziness the fact that meterlessly you are getting 35% MINIMUM and that 35% is going into restands into pressure and you have a character that honestly, sounds like one of the most ridiculous characters in the game.

Butcher is HIGHLY underrated, even by me for the longest time. People talk about how the Kotals and the Jasons will be top tier after the patch...me? I'm waiting to see what monster they create if they buff Leatherface too much. If he's given a fast mid, he is by far top 3 after the nerfs to the current top tier, no doubt in my mind. So watch out for this monster after patch because when that comes...you will be mixed/staggered into oblivion by The Cannibal Hillbilly himself. Thanks for reading and let me know what you think. Am I crazy? Or am I just correct? Love to hear your opinions!
Like i said from the get go - i believe Butcher is the strongest Leatherface variation. He doesn't have Killer cancel gimmicks nor Pretty Lady zoning but he is just solid all around character with good 50/50 and way better command grab then people think. It gets absolutely crazy if you're in the corner vs Butcher.

The only thing he lacks (Leatherface in general) is good mid. People say he has slow armor and has problem with zoning. This true to some degree but people forget, this MK XL where run button is a thing and Butcher can just hop 3/4 of screen with df2/ex df2. And once he is in the mind games begin - 50/50/Command Grab and reset / repeat.

Really looking forward to putting more time into this variation.

CrazyFingers

Like i said from the get go - i believe Butcher is the strongest Leatherface variation. He doesn't have Killer cancel gimmicks nor Pretty Lady zoning but he is just solid all around character with good 50/50 and way better command grab then people think.

The only thing he lacks (Leatherface in general) is good mid. People say he has slow armor and has problem with zoning. This true to some degree but people forget, this MK XL where run button is a thing and Butcher can just hop 3/4 of screen with df2/ex df2. And once he is in the mind games begin 50/50/Command Grab and reset / repeat.

Really looking forward to putting more time into this variation.
If he gets a mid I will be happy and mad all in one because him getting a mid levels up every single variation. Pretty Lady gets to play one of the most solid neutral games in the game if he gains a fast mid due to his good zoning and solid staggers that are innate to Leatherface. Killer becomes the Mind Games god that has to be respected most of the game due to his mid and Butcher becomes one of the best pressure characters in the game, because not only does he have solid mixups but he also will have that mid which commands even more respect. We'll see what NRS does to him, let's hope he doesn't become the next Mileena tho and gets over buffed...he really doesn't need buffs, just fixes is all I need, it's all HE needs.

Hara-Killer

Reverse Salt
hope they make Jason and Leather face OPS (with Reptile and Commando kano) and with KP3 in the corner
why not Freddy and The creeper (or chameleon) back ?

MK X final breath will be SICK and EPIC...

CrazyFingers

hope they make Jason and Leather face OPS (with Reptile and Commando kano) and with KP3 in the corner
why not Freddy and The creeper (or chameleon) back ?

MK X final breath will be SICK and EPIC...
So I know this is slim but if there's an ESL Season 4, I'd be hype...might even attempt competing! But that's slim, and the balance patch is enough for me :)

Hara-Killer

Reverse Salt
So I know this is slim but if there's an ESL Season 4, I'd be hype...might even attempt competing! But that's slim, and the balance patch is enough for me :)
did u saw ed tweet ? Freddy krugguer hint ? dunno bruh but , if KP3 drop in 2017 with freddy and michael myers
will be hell on ESL , Hell on EVO , HELL online :D

omooba

fear the moobs
well i just did a ft5 against kiler today. i fought some pretty good butcher players and pretty lady a while ago and personally i believe killer is still the best and butcher the worst because butcher's gameplan is decent but too linear making it easier to adjust. killer is gimmicky and backed up by legit options to condition gimmicks and the gimmicks are endless in so many different forms. so yeah i just think killer's gameplan is a lot harder to deal with but i can see a good butcher changing my mind

CrazyFingers

well i just did a ft5 against kiler today. i fought some pretty good butcher players and pretty lady a while ago and personally i believe killer is still the best and butcher the worst because butcher's gameplan is decent but too linear making it easier to adjust. killer is gimmicky and backed up by legit options to condition gimmicks and the gimmicks are endless in so many different forms. so yeah i just think killer's gameplan is a lot harder to deal with but i can see a good butcher changing my mind
I can see where you're coming from but Butcher isn't THAT linear. Yea he's straight forward "get in your face, mix" but he has not only his 50/50'a but he also has his command grab, he has the meatiest D4 in the damn game (so do the other two but this adds to his unpredictability.) at any point if he has even just one bar he can take about 70% of your health just with two wrong guesses. Killer can't do that. Killer can be a lot more overwhelming at times but he doesn't get as much for overwhelming you with those options. Sure he hits hard but he has to take a long time to condition you, and as I said if you are taking more time conditioning, your opponent is spending less time being conditioned. Keep in mind, Killer is still really good, but he's too easily disrespected in a lot of cases. But again I cannot stress this enough, he is still fairly good, and Butcher isn't that far ahead of him. There's just one or two things that Butcher can do that Killer cannot, and Butcher can do everything Killer can (except for Berserker Stance but no one but Killer has something quite like that)

CrazyFingers

Also! Check out @Pig Of The Hut 's YouTube channel and look for the games with Gunshow. While he didn't hit confirm into BD4 all that much with F12 which lost him some damage, he's still a great player who clearly knows how the character works and can show how strong he is.

TommyKing5

But the saw... the saw is family
While I agree Butcher is good and has potential, I don't think he's the best variation. It doesn't mean he's bad in any way, but I feel the other two variations have better utility. Doesn't mean he'll rise to being the best in the foreseeable balance patch.

I can see where you're coming from though. Butcher has better armour, faster 50/50's and crazy set-ups that Killer doesn't have. I would pick Butcher over Killer in certain match-ups and do much better than I would with Killer by a long shot.

Killer has the best mid Leatherface has to offer with Berserker Stance 1. Berserker Stance in general is a whole new level of mind game. You don't have to do the gimmicky cancels at all, and if one knows the matchup then it won't go down well at all. Using cancels on hit however yield better results. I never usually cancel on block other than B1 because it's plus. Killer also has stupid amounts of damage. If you get hit by Berserker 1 in the corner and I have three bars. Gg's lol.

I feel Butcher does have the potential to be great, but the tools Killer has to offer appeal to me more, and I'm not going to preach which is better la la la. I think all three are really strong and can compete on their own. I've been playing Killer longer so I may have a little bias... But now that I've been playing Butcher for a bit I can see where you're coming from, but I'm definitely not switching my main variation :p .

CrazyFingers

The point is, he's setplay and that's why he doesn't need a mid, because his game plan doesn't innately require him to have a mid while Killer's game plan does, yea he has Berserker Stance 1 but that wont help with stagger nearly as much as a mid normal

CrazyFingers

While I agree Butcher is good and has potential, I don't think he's the best variation. It doesn't mean he's bad in any way, but I feel the other two variations have better utility. Doesn't mean he'll rise to being the best in the foreseeable balance patch.

I can see where you're coming from though. Butcher has better armour, faster 50/50's and crazy set-ups that Killer doesn't have. I would pick Butcher over Killer in certain match-ups and do much better than I would with Killer by a long shot.

Killer has the best mid Leatherface has to offer with Berserker Stance 1. Berserker Stance in general is a whole new level of mind game. You don't have to do the gimmicky cancels at all, and if one knows the matchup then it won't go down well at all. Using cancels on hit however yield better results. I never usually cancel on block other than B1 because it's plus. Killer also has stupid amounts of damage. If you get hit by Berserker 1 in the corner and I have three bars. Gg's lol.

I feel Butcher does have the potential to be great, but the tools Killer has to offer appeal to me more, and I'm not going to preach which is better la la la. I think all three are really strong and can compete on their own. I've been playing Killer longer so I may have a little bias... But now that I've been playing Butcher for a bit I can see where you're coming from, but I'm definitely not switching my main variation :p .
I can see where you're coming from and it's possible that they are both equal in strength just in different places and no need to switch from killer man, there's room for all the variations! :D

TommyKing5

But the saw... the saw is family
I can see where you're coming from and it's possible that they are both equal in strength just in different places and no need to switch from killer man, there's room for all the variations! :D
Ya I use all three equally. Each one is as fun as the previous one. I just need to put more time into Butcher to be honest, which I will most certainly do now. I've always liked Butcher and how he's played since watching the Kombat Kast. Just need to make the effort now to learn him more throughly!

CrazyFingers

Ya I use all three equally. Each one is as fun as the previous one. I just need to put more time into Butcher to be honest, which I will most certainly do now. I've always liked Butcher and how he's played since watching the Kombat Kast. Just need to make the effort now to learn him more throughly!
Well good luck on that man, hope you get that command grab brutal every time! Never gets old.

Not with that attitude.
just being realistic. Evo is having trouble with the amount of games it's got as is. They're probably gonna have to cut something next year and mkx is a possibility.

If igua 2 is released before Evo I'd be willing to bet money mkx isn't at Evo that year as well.

ShArp

Dedicated Broly main
@CrazyFingers your Butcher guides are insanely good, I only got to touch Butcher in MKXL PC Beta version since it has no practice mode or anything - but just from reading some of your threads I got a good Idea of the character. Props to you for awesome work and time you put into these man! He's Definitely going to be my 2nd main since Tremor on October 4th.

I also have a question regarding his "famous" vortex - I have seen few good Butcher players doing it differently (or maybe Im mistaken). For example I saw Madzin doing B2, then B2 again and then applying 50/50s. Or Gunshow doing B2 - into F1 and then 50/50. Others do B2, crossup jump 2, into 50/50.

Long story short what I saw different people do is:
1) B2, B2 - 50/50
2) B2, F1 - 50/50
3) B2, Crossup Jump 2 - 50/50

Are they are all viable options, or there's only one that should be used here?

Last edited:

CrazyFingers

@CrazyFingers your Butcher guides are insanely good, I only got to touch Butcher in MKXL PC Beta version since it has no practice mode or anything - but just from reading some of your threads I got a good Idea of the character. Props to you for awesome work and time you put into these man! He's Definitely going to be my 2nd main since Tremor on October 4th.

I also have a question regarding his "famous" vortex - I have seen few good Butcher players doing it differently (or maybe Im mistaken). For example I saw Madzin doing B2, then B2 again and then applying 50/50s. Or Gunshow doing B2 - into F1 and then 50/50. Others do B2, crossup jump 2, into 50/50.

Long story short what I saw different people do is:
1) B2, B2 - 50/50
2) B2, F1 - 50/50
3) B2, Crossup Jump 2 - 50/50

Are they are all viable options, or there's only one that should be used here?
They're all relatively viable but keep in mind that the crossup punch into 50/50 is the only one that jails so they can't armor out. The other two, while plus enough to not be poked out of, is not plus enough to jail. Also, thank you for the kind words! Glad we're gonna have a new Butcher running around come October 4th and I'm glad my guide had something to do with it. Stay tuned for a new Butcher guide soon after the patch hits!

CrazyFingers

I usually end up just doing which ever my brain tells me to do because I've done them all. B2 B2 does the most damage, B2 F1 is a little less damage but catches people off guard more often for some reason and the crossup punch makes it a true vortex.