What's new

Why are the 3D Mortal Kombat games not played as "competitively" as other fighting games?

I've always wondered why the 3D Mortal Kombat games aren't really popular for serious fighting game tournaments anywhere. People just seem to play them for non-serious fun. DOA and Tekken are played, but this is not.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Generally, the 3D MKs are poorly made....there's a lot of fundamental flaws, not to mention they're very broken (At least with MKD and onward). Hell, MKDA-MKA had no blockstun.

MKDA was played somewhat, IIRC.

Dark_Rob

Noob
While everything THTB said is true, other games that could also be called broken as hell have been played alot at tournaments. I would say one of the most fundamental reasons as to why any game broken or not doesnt see the light of tournament day is simply because its own community wont support it. The 3D MK community is/was notorious for this. They are content with bad online play, and no one cares enough or has the drive to try to get a tournament scene going.
Im not saying the 3D MK's are deserving of this kind of dedication because I dont believe they are. Nevertheless when they were new people did play them. Lots of MK websites sprang up during this era so there certainly was a scene, trouble is it was an online scene and no one ever tried to take it any further.
Before any game can have a tournament scene it must first have a community willing to support it and to try and make such a scene happen.

Krayzie

Safeties disabled. Krayzie mode engaged!
This one is easy.

1.The games havent met peoples standards for competitive play(I say this because any game can have a scene, so long as the people support it)
2.There was nobody from the 3D MK community to preach about offline tournaments, besides myself and Tom, then a few others came along.
3.Most likely, and I say this with all the activity in Cali, and word of mouth; MK9 will have a scene, and by the looks of it on the east coast, UMK3 is growing as well.

I hosted a tournament for MKvsDC, and a lot of people flaked out. The same community that was supposed to be there to help. At the end, it was a 12 man tournament, with some of the SRK community helping me out. Believe it or not, the Street Fighter community helped, and supported me more than the MK community at the time. After the tournament was over, and all the preaching I had done, a lot of them started attending tournaments.

Lets all look forward to MK9 getting a scene, because I truly believe that we are getting there.

MKE was built for that!

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Well, simple really. 3D MK's(not counting MKDC here) had far too many glitches, easy infinites, problems, issues that needed to be addressed, were easily exploitable and abused by the most common scrub with ease(think Styles, HB, NDTruck here from xbox) and I'm sure PSN had them too lol

That an lack of a scene...

MKDC was far better but was killed by lack of a scene(although it had it's issues) it was nothing compared to the 3D MK's...

Krayzie

Safeties disabled. Krayzie mode engaged!
Well, simple really. 3D MK's(not counting MKDC here) had far too many glitches, easy infinites, problems, issues that needed to be addressed, were easily exploitable and abused by the most common scrub with ease(think Styles, HB, NDTruck here from xbox) and I'm sure PSN had them too lol

That an lack of a scene...

MKDC was far better but was killed by lack of a scene(although it had it's issues) it was nothing compared to the 3D MK's...
But it was a 3D MK. :p