What's new

Why are people willing to pay for SSF4 AE?

First, I know this is an odd place to start up this thread, but I can no longer log into SRK anymore and I don't really feel like researching the matter.

Also, I'm probably going to catch alot of shit for this opinion. But here it goes anyways...

...who the fuck wants to support a game that's intentionally unbalanced with a lackluster and decidedly lazy new cast of characters? It boggles my mind that the fighting game community is so willing to accept this shoddy product with open arms, I mean, you don't have to buy everything Capcom shits out. Super still exists and is fine as is. AE is a blight on the SSF4 name. Blahblahblah... this has all been said before, but why are people adopting this game??? I don't even want to watch it, can't imagine how boring it's going to be watching Yun mirror matches. And I won't even bother mentioning the other 2 "new" characters, completely wasteful, goofy and a blemish on an otherwise flawless game.

I am not going to buy AE, I only hope there are many others out there who do the same and keep Super alive. You know, if the fighting game community as a whole rejected AE, maybe that would send a message to Capcom to fix this stupid shit and give the fans what they're willing to pay for. Oh, but wait, it seems like most of their fans will just buy anything...

Fuck, what a dumb thing to feel so strongly about, I know... but I'm a huge Street Fighter fan and AE just seems intentionally sabotaged to allow the SF4 series to die off and newer games thrive.

Okay, I'm finished ranting... feel free to 'cool story bro' the fuck out of this thread :violin:

Sequel

Boob Titbot
All I see are PACKED rooms online in MK9. Looks like AE didn't even make a dent.

GGs Capcom.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
Raiden and Kano are just as bad if not worse than Yun. But, I agree with you, considering the fact that these companies put such an emphasis on 'balance' that they allow such mindbogglingly powerful characters. The future for fighting games just looks bleak at the moment to me...

DanCock

Cock Master!!
I find it truly amazing that the people for street fighter are charging full price for basically a "patch" to the gameplay for some characters and a bunch of new characters.

I'm mean wow doesn't that seem kinda fucked up?

I'm glad the guys at nrs aren't doing this. I'm ok with paying for dlc, few bucks here few bucks there but not full price for a upgrade to the game I already own. I already fell for that with sf4 to ssf4. never again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
I find it truly amazing that the people for street fighter are charging full price for basically a "patch" to the gameplay for some characters and a bunch of new characters.
Well, it's only 15$, so if you want to consider it like that, it's less than 4$ per new character, which is better than Blazblue did, and I'm sure cheaper than what MK9 will do.

And as far as balance, it still isn't too bad. In Japan, the ratio of Sagat players in Vanilla to Yun players now isn't so far off, you just have to remember that they use top tiers a lot. Aside from that, Yun is a bit BS but he still has some bad matchups, it isn't as bad as CERTAIN characters in this game (Kano). At least Yun is harder to use then that braindead S tier character.

Well AE is certainly not worth a new disc imo.

Only 4 "new" characters. 2 twins that share similar style and specials. 1 ryu clone with a hole in his chest with slightly different specials and normals. 1 fat akuma with white hair. Errrr, no thanks. Those are really lazy designs and I would be lying if I said I didn't feel insulted by it. But at least it's avalaible as DLC so you don't have to buy a new game.

That being said, I'm still upgrading to AE. Reason is because I love the game and my mains are getting some good fix and buffs. Plus I actually like the direction SSF4 is taking with AE believe it or not. Much more aggressive and despite what OP thinks, more balanced too. SSF4 was dominated by defensive characters : Guile, Chun, Bison, Balrog, Honda, Dhalsim, Ryu etc. Unfortunately that resulted in extremely boring matches and tournaments (Guile vs Dhalsim, Ryu and Sagat mirrors, Honda vs Bison, Balrog vs Chun..). Really, I'd rather watch paint on my wall dry than watch another of those atrocious matches. Both players laming it out after getting slight health lead and waiting for a time out isn't exactly my idea of a fighting game.

At least in AE a lot more characters are viable.

LordxMugen

FIGHTAN GAHMS!!!
this reminds me of the Alpha 2 Gold vs Alpha 3 people. theres still a tournament sect of people who WILL NEVER play 3 on account of V-ism combo BS and how broken it was for the game. however, unlike AE, im pretty sure Alpha 3 wasnt deliberately made to make the game bad. but yeah, im sure Ono made AE terrible so as to make people have to move on to SF x Tekken because apparently how much better it is compared to SF4. although if i do see divekick bullshit in that game then it can die in a fire along with AE.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Only 4 "new" characters. 2 twins that share similar style and specials. 1 ryu clone with a hole in his chest with slightly different specials and normals. 1 fat akuma with white hair. Errrr, no thanks. Those are really lazy designs and I would be lying if I said I didn't feel insulted by it. But at least it's avalaible as DLC so you don't have to buy a new game.
That's pretty ignorant actually. The twins don't share too many moves, only dive kicks, palm, and a target combo. Almost everything else is different, and the dive kicks even have different properties. The characters are very very different.

Evil Ryu is a little too Shoto like for my taste, he's like an Akuma with less tools, I don't really like him.

Oni though is a bit like a Shoto but he has a ton of new crazy stuff, so he definitely has a cool design. Aerial movement, unique command normals, unique fireballs, and a bunch of other crazy shit make him pretty interesting.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Wonder_Chef said:
And as far as balance, it still isn't too bad. In Japan, the ratio of Sagat players in Vanilla to Yun players now isn't so far off, you just have to remember that they use top tiers a lot. Aside from that, Yun is a bit BS but he still has some bad matchups, it isn't as bad as CERTAIN characters in this game (Kano). At least Yun is harder to use then that braindead S tier character.
According to Tom Brady, the current version of Kano is not a top 3 character. He says Sub Zero, Kung Lao, and Raiden are. Regardless, I think Mortal Kombat will be more balanced than AE once the infinite combos and glitches have been eliminated. AE has three excellent characters, several solid characters, and more than a dozen characters who are mediocre. The Japanese tier list speaks for itself. On the other hand, MK just has to give characters like Quan Chi, Jax, and Stryker more tools to compete while slightly toning down some of the S tier characters. I had never thought I would say this, but MK has the potential to be the more balanced and superior game. I too refuse to buy AE. I am sticking with MK.

By the way, someone made a wonderful post on SRK about top tier characters in fighting games and how the developers make some characters intentionally strong. Capcom knew Sagat was very strong in vanilla and they kept him that way. Ono-san indirectly stated that Sagat was used to attract ST players because O.Sagat was a top tier character in ST. Now, Capcom must see some value in Yun being overpowered. However, even in MK, there is a reason why Sub Zero and Kung Lao are top tier characters and Jax is not.

I am getting off track. My point is that I dislike AE as well. I do not think that the game is bad per se. I have lost some interest, however, because of the way the game is played.

D_Matt_Ma

Sheeva isn't Goro's wife. Goro is her husband.
I think AE represents the experimental phase for Capcom. They don't care about balance. Rather, they want to explore and try new ideas to see fan reaction. If you strive for balance, you sometimes don't take risks that make the franchise more fun.

That being said, I'm not buying AE yet even though I signed up for it at Evo. $15 is a lot for a game I don't find to be a must have right now.

REO

Undead
People really complaining about Yun when we got Cyber Sub-Zero?

I mean, I rented SF4 and SSF4 once or twice at most, and they definitely weren't my kind of games. But I liked Yun since 3S so I will actually be watching some AE streams now just to see him kick ass.

Spend $15 on a purposefully unbalanced game or spend $5 to support a game that actively attempts to achieve a sense of balance. Hm.

I really want to compare the sales figures of AE and the MK costume pack.

I can't say for sure if Mortal Kombat is more unbalanced than SSF4 because I only played MK for the first 2 weeks after it's released and shelved it until the lag is fixed. I just booted it up last night to see if there was any difference and I couldn't even join a single game! So back to the shelf it goes and I refuse to pay for any DLC from NetherRealm until they fix the lag problem... but that's a whole different can of worms ;)

Man, it seems like just as soon as the resurgence of fighting games happened, developers seem driven by greed to unintentionally ruin everything and shut it all down again. I'm definitely losing my patience, the future doesn't look good for this genre...

...but of course you'll have seas of idiots who will buy anything, so what do I know...

They should have just saved the time and money used for AE and started development and research for SFV or something else. I can see why hardcore SF fans want it and pro players want it but me as a joe shmoe I could careless, SFIV series has been boring since winter 2010 so adding two new characters not counting E Ryu and Oni because they are clones seems stupid. start troll/ Fuck Kung Lao vs. Raiden: Fate of two hats infinite blockstun edition if thats all MK will continue to be /end trolll

People really complaining about Yun when we got Cyber Sub-Zero?

I mean, I rented SF4 and SSF4 once or twice at most, and they definitely weren't my kind of games. But I liked Yun since 3S so I will actually be watching some AE streams now just to see him kick ass.
lol REO are you actually comparing Cyber-Sub to Yun? CSZ is kid stuff compared to Rufus and Yun. :p Cyber-Sub can't even combo or mixup after a landed dive kick. Not only can Yun combo but his ambiguous dive kick can lead to an ultra or the best super move in the game. Heck even a blocked dive kick leads to some scary frame traps and mixups. He can build a full super in like 10 seconds. He can close distance in a mili-second + fly through projectiles with 1 bar AND still be +1 on block. And like if all that wasn't retarded enough, he also has a command grab with pursuit properties which makes his mixups just that scarier.

AE's tier list is like: "Who dies to Yun/Yan and who can survive vs the twins".

At least in MK9 everyone is tourney viable (post-patch). In AE, C and D tier characters have litterally no chance to win tournaments due to overwhelming 4-6 and 3-7 matchups.

cgerrr

Tourney id: Gfc_alekS
First, I know this is an odd place to start up this thread, but I can no longer log into SRK anymore and I don't really feel like researching the matter.

Also, I'm probably going to catch alot of shit for this opinion. But here it goes anyways...

...who the fuck wants to support a game that's intentionally unbalanced with a lackluster and decidedly lazy new cast of characters? It boggles my mind that the fighting game community is so willing to accept this shoddy product with open arms, I mean, you don't have to buy everything Capcom shits out. Super still exists and is fine as is. AE is a blight on the SSF4 name. Blahblahblah...
Maybe, coz AE will be released on PC, thus there will be muuuuch more people around me playing it and in conjunction with its ok-eish netcode it will be much better online than MK9 (presumably).

EGP Wonder_Chef

At least in MK9 everyone is tourney viable (post-patch). In AE, C and D tier characters have litterally no chance to win tournaments due to overwhelming 4-6 and 3-7 matchups.
That's totally untrue. There are waaaaay more useless characters in MK9 and waaaaay less 7-3 matchups in SSFIV.

Trust me when I say that AE is way more balanced than MK9. Go top 8 with Baraka, Sheeva, Smoke(Post patch), Sonya, or Quan Chi (post patch), and I'll say otherwise.

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
I paid for AE because 1) new characters 2) It's the one everyone will be playing and 3) I want to play with some of the newly balanced characters.

Slymind

Noob
The thing is, this is their 3rd version of SFIV game and apparentely it's more imbalanced than before, and the worst thing is that it was intentionally, and the game was already played a lot, IMO they missed a great opportunity to makes things more fair. MK is too new so it still a has a long road ahead to further improve it's balance, and one can clearly see that NRS is trying to give everyone a chance(they even said before the release that the balancing process would be to achieve the maximum fairness possible), hence Kung and Kano future nerfs and Baraka and Jax buffs for example. I'm getting the game because i don't have super and i play on PC, but the character's favoritism piss me off.