What's new

Why are NRS games looked down upon by high level FGC players?

xKMMx

Banned
I'm pretty new to the whole FGC tournament scene and watching live tournaments. As ive started to watch more stuff online over the past couple of years I have noticed a lot of SF players and high level players of other games tend to look down on NRS games as novelty instead of legit respectable games.

Why does a player that is high level at NRS games not garner the same respect as someone like Daigo or Justin Won for being the same level at Street Fighter?

Samsara

Resident Cynic
Because ppl think NRS fighters are poorly balanced, janky, dont cater to more traditional fighting game dynamics, and focus more on stylized gore and spectacle rather than a grounded competitive fighting game.

[EDIT- MK9 IS TECHNICALLY NRS' FIRST GAME, BUT I THINK MY POINT IS MORE THAT THE ENTIRE MK SCENE AND SERIES IS STILL AFFECTED BY THE EARLY GAMES, REGARDLESS OFF DEV.]

You have to look at NRS' pedigree. Their early games are NOTORIOUSLY bad in terms of artstyle. Balance, characters, etc.

They didnt start actually getting their shit together until MK9 and even those games were janky and only had niche NRS appeal once all the big shot capcom players left the scene to go back to their main games.

You can CLEARLY see that NRS was trying to rebrand MK11 as a more 'measured, footsie based, traditional' fighter while still trying to cater to their long time fans.

I dont think its working out well. The game seems like a mess design wise. They tried to please both sides and neither is fully happy.

Last edited:

Slymind

Noob
Can you drop some names for these so called high level players? because in the FGC the ones i see talking trash the most are stream monsters and some nobodies over the internet that like to belittle other games due to sheer fanboyism and ignorance

Usually the real top players are chill and respectful towards other communities.

Samsara

Resident Cynic
Can you drop some names for these so called high level players? because in the FGC the ones i see talking trash the most are stream monsters and some nobodies over the internet that like to belittle other games due to sheer fanboyism and ignorance

Usually the real top players are chill and respectful towards other communities.
I think ppl are respectful of the NRS scene and respect our top players, but there does seem to be a kind of general "mk is a more casual fighter, I'm not invested enough to practice it as one of main games for competition, the NRS scene leaves their games behind every 2 years." Vibe ya know?

Think about it. NRS games come out every other year, die after about 18 months, and then we all move on.

I think that's part if it too.

Owerbart

I miss you
I'm pretty new to the whole FGC tournament scene and watching live tournaments. As ive started to watch more stuff online over the past couple of years I have noticed a lot of SF players and high level players of other games tend to look down on NRS games as novelty instead of legit respectable games.

Why does a player that is high level at NRS games not garner the same respect as someone like Daigo or Justin Won for being the same level at Street Fighter?
NRS games in general tend to have broken mechanics and the powergaps between tiers is much more abysmal. For example, the whiffing issues this game has just makes it look too casual to be kompetitively studied. people are going to stone me to death for this, but NRS is known in general as this:

release a broken game
release dlcs
release a patch
release a second patch
"but there are things that are still broken! The community is dying because you don't fix it!"
"sorry buddy we are working in the next game"
this was specially hurtful for me with mk9. That game was great but it was a fimal fix away from being brilliant.

Other fighting games in general have a bit of more following by the developers. Players from other games know that these games are naturally broken and, without any fix in sight, so they just avoid it in general.

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
I don't that's a thing anymore. We used to get some shit because we were a really young scene and players from other games would come in and do really well. However now the scene has really leveled up and I feel like we get plenty of respect now. The only people that really shit on our games are people like the idiots on r/kappa

PapaRegadetho

All hail emperor Liucifer Kang!
I get bad looks from people when i recomend MK , they usually refer to the games as janky animation wise and control wise, they tried MK11 and completely gave up, saying " maybe next mk lul "

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
SF and Tekken fanboys , blind fanatics, yep, they still spread their poison comments and love to try to put down all NRS FGC scene, however, NRS pro players never waste time doing the same, I mean, you don't see majority here just shitthing words for others figthing games, and majority of NRS professional players seems respectful with others games, so, it's just an envy stupid reaction from some inferior brainless members of others communities, nonsense hate for nothing :confused:

• Inconsistent game mechanics (highs and other moves whiffing)
  • Unbalanced/cheap moves (we still have Erron black FB, that kind of stuff)
  • Japan doesn't care at all about MK
  • Poor balance
  • No legacy gameplay, every new game is completely different
Mk11 has improved in many aspects, but we still suffer many of those problems. 3 months from release and we have whiffing issues (that should have been a day 1 patch), and we still don't know if some high attacks whiffing on crouch blocking enemies is intentional or not. In terms of making a competitive game, in 2019, that's unacceptable.

Last edited:

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
NRS games in general tend to have broken mechanics and the powergaps between tiers is much more abysmal. For example, the whiffing issues this game has just makes it look too casual to be kompetitively studied. people are going to stone me to death for this, but NRS is known in general as this:

release a broken game
release dlcs
release a patch
release a second patch
"but there are things that are still broken! The community is dying because you don't fix it!"
"sorry buddy we are working in the next game"
this was specially hurtful for me with mk9. That game was great but it was a fimal fix away from being brilliant.

Other fighting games in general have a bit of more following by the developers. Players from other games know that these games are naturally broken and, without any fix in sight, so they just avoid it in general.
ok it's pretty clear that you don't actually explore other scenes in the fgc so let's break this shit down. 1 balance is irreverent, when dragonball launched everyone had a cell or 16, in melee there's a ton of talk right now about banning characters like ice climbers and jiggly puff, smash 4 had bayonetta, ect. top tiers are in every fighting game and trust me it get's way worse then in nrs games. 2 whiffing issues only matter to people that know about them. sf and tekken players aren't saying "man I would play mk11, but I can't because liu kang whiffs a lot on females". chances are most players that don't follow scene don't know about the little jank shit (which by the way, every game has jank shit). finally nrs has some of the best dev support right now. if look at other scenes you'll see that sf and dragon ball players are complaining about developer support, unist is surviving without any dev support, and nintendo doesn't give a shit about their competitive players (especially melee). trust me when I say 90% of people that shit on any scene don't actually have a high level opinion of the game and literally never seen any of your talking points be used by people outside of our community.

oh one last thing, the idea that mk9 was one patch away from being perfect is hysterical and I think you need to get your rose tinted glasses checked.

Edmund

Kitana & Skarlet
Honestly it’s more a case of “i don’t like a fighting game that isn’t the one I play!”

Pros will say “smash is a terrible game with no mechanics for a fighting game” or that “it isn’t intended to be competitive”

Then you have other pros who think that games like Soul Calibur are too easy

I think so much of it has to do with the game’s longevity. NRS tends to release a game every 2 years, with the new iteration replacing the old one and having almost a completely different style which inhibits new people to come in the later months of the life cycle.

Skedar70

Noob
NRS games are the best quality fighters out there ever since MKX came out. Best story mode, best netcode, best designed characters all of the other fighting games are looking at what NRS does next to copy them.

From a competitive point of view the FGC was mostly founded on Street fighter which has a lot more emphasis on spacing. SF and MK are played completely different. I personally dislike the glorified SF games because its just simple stuff like trying to land a d1 or d3 or a d4 into a 3 string combo or ultra that does like 30% damage.

Owerbart

I miss you
ok it's pretty clear that you don't actually explore other scenes in the fgc so let's break this shit down. 1 balance is irreverent, when dragonball launched everyone had a cell or 16, in melee there's a ton of talk right now about banning characters like ice climbers and jiggly puff, smash 4 had bayonetta, ect. top tiers are in every fighting game and trust me it get's way worse then in nrs games. 2 whiffing issues only matter to people that know about them. sf and tekken players aren't saying "man I would play mk11, but I can't because liu kang whiffs a lot on females". chances are most players that don't follow scene don't know about the little jank shit (which by the way, every game has jank shit). finally nrs has some of the best dev support right now. if look at other scenes you'll see that sf and dragon ball players are complaining about developer support, unist is surviving without any dev support, and nintendo doesn't give a shit about their competitive players (especially melee). trust me when I say 90% of people that shit on any scene don't actually have a high level opinion of the game and literally never seen any of your talking points be used by people outside of our community.

oh one last thing, the idea that mk9 was one patch away from being perfect is hysterical and I think you need to get your rose tinted glasses checked.
whatever you say man, i love MK games and i played competitively both sf and mk. I think its you the one that needs to get your blindfold and see the things the way they are. And we are talking about competitive scenes, not about casuals gaming, so things like whiffing issues and balancing patches play a big role. there's nothing wrong with liking NRS games, they are my favorite games, but you need to understand that we are in the minority.

i've been in japan for 4 months and spoke with a lot of people that played fighting games. Noone knew about mk, i know theres a lot pf censorship going on there, but even the gaijin players thought they suck. Tekken 7 has seen people winning with Panda, SF and even smash had upsets with low tiers in the biggest stages. You are never going to see that in NRS.

i didn't say, about mk9, it was going to be perfect. I said brilliant, which is a different concept, i think you are the one that needs reading glasses before posting.

Stevie Steelz

I break muthaf****s...
As someone who has played all fighting games and primarily plays SF and MK/Injustice, I can tell you that the reason why NRS games doesn’t get the respect as others is for a few reasons;
1). As mentioned above, the lifespan for each game is incredibly short compared to others. I don’t know if it’s WB’s push for new games or NRS’ planned schedule of new game development, but whatever it is, they do a helluva good job at killing their own games with the predictable 2 year lifespan (or life “cycle”).

2). The brokenness of high tier characters are laughable at times, then tack on the low barrier of entry. For example, Akuma has always been top tier, but the work it takes in order for someone to be successful with the character in ANY Street Fighter is nowhere near what it takes to be good with Scorpion/Sub-Zero in MK 11, Erron Black in MK 10, Superman in Injustice 1, etc. I love playing NRS games, but I get tired of getting washed by broke ass characters that make me question “how and why did this character make it in the game?”

3). For MK, the mechanics are a turn off; having to guess which way you’re going to be thrown in order to tech, having to release block in order to tech throws, a block button (not a problem for me, but I’ve heard this complaint a lot), plus the constant D+1’s with no pushback on block or hit can be hard/annoying to deal with.

Those are some of the glaring weaknesses I can think of at the moment.

Stevie Steelz

I break muthaf****s...
Oh yeah...
4). The dial-a-combo system and overall gameplay. The animations, controls and combos are DEFINITELY not as fluid as other fighting games. I honestly hate that it is a different timing to press buttons for each character, it makes picking up new characters a chore and can be an annoyance for when you are trying complicated combos for your main.

Stevie Steelz

I break muthaf****s...
NRS games are the best quality fighters out there ever since MKX came out. Best story mode, best netcode, best designed characters all of the other fighting games are looking at what NRS does next to copy them.

From a competitive point of view the FGC was mostly founded on Street fighter which has a lot more emphasis on spacing. SF and MK are played completely different. I personally dislike the glorified SF games because its just simple stuff like trying to land a d1 or d3 or a d4 into a 3 string combo or ultra that does like 30% damage.
I don’t know what Street Fighter games you’ve been playing, but there are no D+1/3/4’s or string combos except maybe a two hit target combo, and most of the time you can’t combo a super or ultra combo into those.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
It also has to do with NRS' reputation. I don't think that'll ever go away. To this day I still see people talk shit about the Netcode and constant patches whenever they release a new game.

Slymind

Noob
whatever you say man, i love MK games and i played competitively both sf and mk. I think its you the one that needs to get your blindfold and see the things the way they are. And we are talking about competitive scenes, not about casuals gaming, so things like whiffing issues and balancing patches play a big role. there's nothing wrong with liking NRS games, they are my favorite games, but you need to understand that we are in the minority.

i've been in japan for 4 months and spoke with a lot of people that played fighting games. Noone knew about mk, i know theres a lot pf censorship going on there, but even the gaijin players thought they suck. Tekken 7 has seen people winning with Panda, SF and even smash had upsets with low tiers in the biggest stages. You are never going to see that in NRS.

i didn't say, about mk9, it was going to be perfect. I said brilliant, which is a different concept, i think you are the one that needs reading glasses before posting.
Japan does not care about most western games period, bringing Japan as a reference in this case is good for nothing because they are not even playing the game to have an opinion, there is a whole cutural discussion behind but this is not the place and time(check Xbox family systems sales there for instance).

Also, upsets have been happening on NRS games as well, Digit winning a major with Shazam, Burrito Vorhees' Swamp Thing on the later half of Injustice 2, and MK11 is very new, but Furious Pillow vs Hayatei comes to mind and Biohazard has been doing work with Kano, also Tweedy pocket Frost putting a hard fight against Ninjakilla.

REO

Undead
I don't even think it's other communities that hate on our games. Most of the hate you see for MK9 / INJ1 / MKX / INJ2 / MK11 nowadays is from the members inside our own NRS community. It seems like it's been this way for the longest. It's usually been more about "choosing a side" with an NRS game you like the most, and then bashing the other ones you don't like.

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
I dont play other fighting games but I read in the thread that other fighters allow you to tech throws even if you're holding the block button and you dont have to guess the direction. THAT makes SO much more sense than having to guess constantly and if the person throws enough, you're bound to tech the wrong way and lose 310 of your health. Its amazing how far shitty players can get by mainly grabbing