What's new

whose the best umk3 player of all time?

deady

Noob
i dont know much about the golden days of umk3 and would like to hear who you guys think is the best ever.

im really not in a position to offer an opinion so lets hear who other people say is the best they ever played or the best of all time.

Matix218

Get over here!
From what I know, I think Shock was really good, REO was really good, there are a bunch more though. I think 9.95 Phil was really good also and GGA Moe. I'm sure I missed a ton of others though. AC1984 also had a great Kabal.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Based on games I have played, videos watched, and tournaments attended...

@NoDoubt gets my nod for the GOAT. His fundamentals are flawless, he can whip out any combo or end it a move short and lull you into letting your guard down and getting caught in another, has the stupid glitch jabbing down, and can corner kill you with it to boot. He's a beast with all characters.

nwo

Noob
Marvirrasta, since he won what was considered the hardest UMK3 tournament of all time. He wasn't just great with Kabal, he was high execution with many others characters as well.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Of all time? Dunno, my top 5 of players I've played would be: REO, NoDoubt, Crazy Dominican, Marv and probably Bass.

There were a lot of greats though like Shock, ShaneyMcGrady, DC Hustle, summoning, AC1984, mistaKM, dubson, LiJoe, Annhilator83, Konqrr, etc. Way too many to name them all.

Who is the best now? Again, no clue. A lot of the still active players will be at the tournament in a couple of weeks though.

^^ Update ^^
In that tournament, the top 3 were:
  1. NoDoubt
  2. Juggs
  3. Pshh aka John Vargas aka Sp1c Unit

LI Joe deserves to be mentioned more. He had a great set against shock in a very important tournament prior to mk9s release which you can find on youtube. This thread makes me miss the VSM days when a classic was played along side the current game.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
In the US, pretty much guys like REO, NoDoubt, Marv (If you wanna count him), Juggs, DC Hustle, etc. Older guys like Moe, Lex, etc, are damn good, too.

South America has a ton of talent as well, and there's also guys like ded.

In the US, pretty much guys like REO, NoDoubt, Marv (If you wanna count him), Juggs, DC Hustle, etc. Older guys like Moe, Lex, etc, are damn good, too.

South America has a ton of talent as well, and there's also guys like ded.
I wish that there were more old-school guys at my tournament coming up… But I bet the new blood will hold their own against the old-school guys that do come

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Marvirrasta, since he won what was considered the hardest UMK3 tournament of all time. He wasn't just great with Kabal, he was high execution with many others characters as well.
That was an amazing UMK3 tournament. That was in 2009 I believe.

@Shock @YOMI REO @Juggs Marverrasta, IGOTBASS (unfortunately and fortunately he's perma-banned from TYM) @summoning @NoDoubt Comeback Kyle DC Hustle @GGA MOE30W

People like Lex I've only ever heard about

@Shock knows the list...

Mgo

Noob
"best of all time" "golden days of umk3" are two incompatible things because the best have to be someone of these days or latest years, someone that have the more effective theory and practice for this game of all these years of knowledge. For "golden days of umk3" I suppose you speak about a period pre 2008, and because the level is always increased over the years, in that pre 2008 you cant have the best of all time, except this guy keep playing and improving over the years.
But if you consider the best based on the most creative player, the most ahead of his time, not the most effective of all time, he could be someone of the "golden years" but could not beat a best of this time. An american chess legend explained it better (1:19)
In that sense, I will say (for what i saw on videos) that Marvirrasta was pretty ahead of his time but i dont know if he can be the best at that time. Another players that was doing very well in the past were a guy from Europe, and guys from Arcade South America. Some of these guys keeps playing and maybe improving over the years, so by logic they would enter into the conversation. And last, I saw (also in videos) a player for recent years called Speed, who imo is doing very well. But this is just my opinion of what I saw and perceived.

Last edited:

ArmageddonUMK

Hipster Spectral Player
Of all time? Dunno, my top 5 of players I've played would be: REO, NoDoubt, Crazy Dominican, Marv, and probably Bass.

There were a lot of greats though like Shock, ShaneyMcGrady, DC Hustle, summoning, AC1984, mistaKM, dubson, LiJoe, Annhilator83, Konqrr, etc. Way too many to name them all.

Who is the best now? Again, no clue. A lot of the still active players will be at the tournament in a couple of weeks though.
Man, hearing all those names again brings me back to the UMK3 XBLA era. Such a fun time. That was the first fighting game I put effort into learning. I remember seeing some combo video Shock made and thinking "I gotta learn to do that."

On topic: Crazy Dominican or No Doubt

NinjaGrinder

A living, Breathing Piece of Defecating Meat
Right now in the US, the best is probably @NoDoubt

Back in the day, the best was Lex
Don't get me wrong, I have always admired and respected Lex. His creativity, funky style and set ups. But if you dig a littler deeper, there could be even better Chicago players from that time. He said it himself many times, he wasn't the best. Don't forget MOE, Colt (Paulo Garcia), Adam and the infamous "1st horseman", Anh.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Don't get me wrong, I have always admired and respected Lex. His creativity, funky style and set ups. But if you dig a littler deeper, there could be even better Chicago players from that time. He said it himself many times, he wasn't the best. Don't forget MOE, Colt (Paulo Garcia), Adam and the infamous "1st horseman", Anh.
Yeah those guys are gdlk.

Element_

The First Element
Hard to say a "Best" player. Many skilled ones. I have to say that watching Shock's Ermac was really entertaining however.

Lex

MKKhanzo: Ded is from Bulgary jahha
Necropost - did a routine google and came across this for the first time.

Thanks for the compliments but NinjaGrinder put it right.

My MK3/UMK3 story went like this:
-Lived in CA for MK1/MK2/MK3 - playerbase was nowhere near as good as what I was about to experience
-Moved to Chicago as UMK3 was coming out. MK3 WaveNet was in the lobby. I was getting my ass HANDED to me by shit I've never seen before including runjabs and easy Jax/Sub Zero/Cyrax 100% combos. I was humbled but knew Chicago was better because of the beta playerbase. Time to get work done.
-Moved from game testing to WaveNet to deploy new arcades and install UMK3 roms on all of them. Put a machine in my office to generate traffic for the network. Played nonstop 20+ hours a day until I learned everything by getting my ass beat over and over again by Eddie, Randy, Moe, Paulo, TeacherLee, Ahn etc. There was no guides.
-One day a streak was started at 11am (arcades opened) after we had tested Wargods for the final release staying up all night. Went to 115 wins in a row playing a very stubborn h. smoke. Albeit some people won during that streak but let me continue the streak so it wasn't exactly real. It was however the highest amount of wins for UMK3 WaveNet. Paulo got 155 with Cyrax in MK3.
-Then it was time for me to go to 8 on the break in Jersey - the first arcade visit outside of Chicago since I moved there. Empire Arcadia+JWong was there and they all got taught during casuals. Was called a demon. Some of the most insane Reptile plays happened during that session. The work was done at that point and they faced years of grinding - then the tournament happened and the Kung Lao 100% vid was made and the rest is history........................

Komatose

The Prettiest
Storm, Juggs and Reo are all pretty good. 995 Phil was good too iirc. LI Joe. There are a lot of good players. I personally couldn’t claim a best.

Biggs

FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
Since this was necrod, I think the following people are currently the best in each region:
NA - JDW, Street, ddy, Cienfuegos
SA - Speed, Hanzo, Marvirrasta, Vino Tinto, Wolfneto
RU - Friesen