What's new

Who will you play in SSFIV?

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Hooligan grabbing crouching characters wouldn't work, simply because you can be grabbed on the very first frame you get up in SFIV. In ST, you had 13 frames where you could not be thrown. Using Akuma's demon flip throw is irrelevant, since jumping completely avoids it. Cammy's hooligan throw grabs airborne also. It would be a mess in SFIV's engine.

It wouldn't work because of that, 9.95. Sure, there's just bringing back that element, but then normal throws would be even worse than they already are.

Btw, Tim, Ryu was not really nerfed, aside from the universal damage nerf and removal of stupid stuff (Trade DP > Ultra, Super trap, etc). MP DP is basically used where HP DP would in anti-air and reversal situations, anti-air LP DP now can combo into another non-LP DP, Ultra II is an amazing anti-air (Like I was saying from the start, but somehow no one noticed lol). Ryu's still good, but he's just more fleshed out to be more all-around, like the developers wanted him to be.

As for who I'm using, Adon's the character I'm putting work in. I may check out Guy and T. Hawk for giggles and I may keep playing Gouken part-time if he gets any better (I'm liking some new things, but not sold yet), but Adon is my go-to.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
I may keep playing Gouken part-time if he gets any better (I'm liking some new things, but not sold yet), but Adon is my go-to.
Yea, EX Palm > Ultra midscreen is nice, but he didn't REALLY get any of the core things that he needed.

THTB

Yeah, that's why I'm pulling a Bone and going "Fuck Gouken", lol.

I was hoping the "all his normals are faster" thing the dev blog said would end up helping him out. Aside from his c.LK getting better...there's nothing to even care about.

Noob
Hooligan grabbing crouching characters wouldn't work, simply because you can be grabbed on the very first frame you get up in SFIV. In ST, you had 13 frames where you could not be thrown. Using Akuma's demon flip throw is irrelevant, since jumping completely avoids it. Cammy's hooligan throw grabs airborne also. It would be a mess in SFIV's engine.

It wouldn't work because of that, 9.95. Sure, there's just bringing back that element, but then normal throws would be even worse than they already are.
I'm not buying it. Aside from my aforementioned inherent difficulties in trying to do unblockable wakeup hooligans, there are just too many characters in the cast who have wakeup reversal moves. Remember, Hooligan gets beat by just about any other special. For instance:

Ryu - SRK, EX Tatsu
Ken - SRK, EX Tatsu
Gen - not sure
Adon - Rising Jaguar
Sagat - TU, TK
Chun - Upkicks, EX Legs
Blanka - Upwards ball, lightning
Honda - EX Hands
Guile - Flash Kick
Dhalsim - teleport maybe?
Zangief - Lariat
Balrog - Headbutt
Vega - Flip kick
Bison - Scissors
T.Hawk - Tomahawk Buster(rising hawk)
Cammy - Cannon Spike
Fei Long - Flame Kick
Deejay - Machine Gun Upper, Up Kicks
Akuma - SRK
Cody - EX Cyclone thing(maybe)
Guy - Hurricane/EX Hurricane
Rose - not sure
Dan - SRK
Dudley - SRK
Ibuki - SRK Kick
Makoto - EX Hayate maybe
Viper - Flame Kick, thunder knuckle
Abel - roll underneath
Fuerte - Dash punch?
Rufus - Messiah Kick, Snake Strike
Seth - SRK
Gouken - Tatsu
Juri - pinwheel kick
Hakan - ducking defensive posture

So... of all the SSF4 characters... 5 of them may not be able to escape a perfectly timed, unblockable wakeup Hooligan grab(if they choose to duck, and if they choose to get up at normal speed instead of quick recovery). Like I said, I'm not buying it... there are too many inherently difficult factors involved in an unblockable wakeup hooligan throw on a crouching opponent who has no wakeup options, and it makes it ridiculously unsafe against the ones that do(which is the overwhelming majority).

It's also not a the threat of this mysterious unblockable hooligan that would make her dangerous... it's the threat that she could 2-in-1 the hooligan off a cr.mk for a fast, quick hooligan throw. That gives her options and mixups.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
All I know is, Sanford, Justin, and Combofiend own with Cammy. In one tournament, wasn't it Cammy vs Cammy in the grand finals? I think Comobofiend vs Justin?

Anyway, I think all the characters can compete in SF4, and maybe even more so in SSF4. It's the player not the character.

TWZTID

Noob
For some reason I'm only less sucky with charge characters. So imma stick wit guile an maybe even use balrog.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
I'm not buying it. Aside from my aforementioned inherent difficulties in trying to do unblockable wakeup hooligans, there are just too many characters in the cast who have wakeup reversal moves. Remember, Hooligan gets beat by just about any other special. For instance:

Ryu - SRK
Adon - Rising Jaguar
Sagat - TU
Blanka - Upwards ball
Dhalsim - teleport
T.Hawk - Tomahawk Buster(rising hawk)
Cammy - Cannon Spike
Fei Long - Flame Kick
Akuma - SRK
Cody - EX Cyclone thing(maybe)
Guy - Hurricane/EX Hurricane
Dan - SRK
Dudley - SRK
Rufus - Messiah Kick
Seth - SRK
Juri - pinwheel kick
Hakan - ducking defensive posture
These are the only reliable ones, and still they can almost all be stuffed if timed right. I only left the Super characters because we have no idea as of now. Every one that I took out will either lose to it or is very easy to stuff. Even the ones that are left can be stuffed, people can stuff ryu's SRK with a well times demon flip throw from akuma.

Trust me, saying "reversals beat it" doesn't make any sense in the SFIV engine. The fact that it grabs in the air means it can stuff almost anything.

And remember, all you would have to do is hit one hooligan combo, then they can't quick recover, and the timing will be the same for a meaty hooligan every time after that. It would be far too good.

Noob
LOL... well, first off, ANYTHING about the SFIV engine is senseless... LOL, but that aside, the fact is that Capcom either decided that she didn't need it. You and I can disagree till we're blue in the face, but it still its what it is. I say she needed it, she didn't get it. We'll see how many Grand Finals she's used in... when two top players don't decide to choose her as a gag. Trust me, that grand final of Cammy v Cammy... if one of them chose Sagat, Ryu or Rufus... then the other would NOT have chosen Cammy. Cammy v. Cammy Grand finals could have been Dan v Dan grand finals.

THTB

It's whatever, though. With how much SSFIV changed from SFIV, everything is up in the air.

Who knows, she may just not even need it.