What's new

Who will you play in SSFIV?

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Who are you going to be playing in SSFIV and why?

I for one am choosing Makoto, because it's all about the mixups baaaaaaaayby!

EDIT: Just decided I will play Dudley too. THURD STRAIK BAYBEEE

DOUBLE EDIT: Juri too.

...shit. It's happening again.

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder

EDIT: Just decided I will play Dudley too. THURD STRAIK BAYBEEE
After getting a chance to play it yesterday...

I will be using Ibuki for sure. Its time to put Rose to rest, specially with that nerfed backdash...

Tim Static

Adminerator
Its time to put Rose to rest, specially with that nerfed backdash...
attaboy!

Anywho, i claimed last year before SFIV I was gonna use Rufus, but that didnt work out.

So far, for Super....i plan on using Dudley, Hakan & Juri. We'll see how it goes this time lol

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Same here Tim, I said I'd use Rufus but never really learned him.

I want to try out Cody, Ibuki and Juri. Maybe Hakan, Dudley and Guy as well. I will also use Bison.

I won't be able to purchase the game upon release. I will try to rent it though.

Noob
Ken(as I have been for for 19 years...since WW came out in 1991), Makoto, Juri, and Cammy.

I still wish Cammy's hooligan combo grabbed crouching opponents...

Noob
The hooligan grabbing a crouching opponent is essential to Cammy being a competitive character. Without it, she has almost no mixup game since she has no true overhead and a very weak, at best, crossup. She was low tier in ST but could at least compete with the better characters because of the danger of the mixup, even though the cannon drill/spiral arrow was not safe on block...as the thrust kick/cannon spike were not either. In HDR, based on the distance and the strength used, both of those moves are safe on block now and the Hooligan grabs crouching opponents. Because of this she can compete with just about anyone in the cast in HDR. Why they saw any reason to change this from ST/HDR in SF4/SSF4 is beyond me, but she just doesn't have great tools to compete...the hooligan that grabs a crouching opponent opens up all her mixups.

EGP Wonder_Chef

The hooligan grabbing a crouching opponent is essential to Cammy being a competitive character. Without it, she has almost no mixup game since she has no true overhead and a very weak, at best, crossup. She was low tier in ST but could at least compete with the better characters because of the danger of the mixup, even though the cannon drill/spiral arrow was not safe on block...as the thrust kick/cannon spike were not either. In HDR, based on the distance and the strength used, both of those moves are safe on block now and the Hooligan grabs crouching opponents. Because of this she can compete with just about anyone in the cast in HDR. Why they saw any reason to change this from ST/HDR in SF4/SSF4 is beyond me, but she just doesn't have great tools to compete...the hooligan that grabs a crouching opponent opens up all her mixups.
But if she could grab crouching opponents there would be no way to avoid a meaty wakeup hooligan grabs if you didn't have a reversal.

Cammy is a perfectly viable character, there's a reason why Justin uses her as his second.

And remember, HDR and SFIV are completely different games, comparing a character in both games isn't possible.

oBryant

Noob

DOUBLE EDIT: Juri too.
Lol good luck
After getting a chance to play it yesterday...

I will be using Ibuki for sure. Its time to put Rose to rest, specially with that nerfed backdash...
good luck

Juri sucks

Lol Krazie.. Ibuki is one hard bitch to play good luck. so far my MM record is 5/2 with ibuki

Noob
And remember, HDR and SFIV are completely different games, comparing a character in both games isn't possible.
LOL... understatement of the last 15 years...LOL...

Seriously though, they're both SF games(with an underlying engine that remains the same for the last 20 years or so...so don't compare UMK3 to MKA or something) so there should be some continuity in a character's moves. More importantly, there should be more continuity to characters' moves within the same game. Akuma's demon flip, for instance, can grab crouching opponents, but you don't see unblockable wakeup grabs spammed by Akuma players... it could be as simple as making the properties work like that. The fact is, in order to perform what you're talking about with Cammy, not only would you have to time the hooligan to be in position to grab on wakeup, but also time it based on move strength, distance from the opponent, predict quick recovery, predict wakeup reversals(just about everything beats hooligan), predict wakeup backdashes, etc. There's just too many factors that go into it to make unblockable wakeup hooligans remotely safe. Point is, she needed it and didn't get it...I'll still play her here and there but she's not the character she could have been.

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
Lol good luck

good luck

Juri sucks

Lol Krazie.. Ibuki is one hard bitch to play good luck. so far my MM record is 5/2 with ibuki
I think she fits my style. Believe it or not, I did better with Ibuki against ComboJacks Cody than I did with Rose. She was also a fun ass character to use.

Who are you going to use, btw?

oBryant

Noob
I think she fits my style. Believe it or not, I did better with Ibuki against ComboJacks Cody than I did with Rose. She was also a fun ass character to use.

Who are you going to use, btw?
Sagat... lol.. and Ibuki is a side project. Never know, maybe you will see my Ibuki in a video or something. but for now.. sagat.

Dark_Rob

Noob
Nerf? lol no.. not at all he is the exact same with an extra ultra and his fierce DP hits twice. And I think something with DMG and stun but overall he is the same.
Ive had SSF4 for 2 days. Trust me, Ryu is nerfed! DP is trash, it trades with like everything now. Also DP>FADC>Ultra 1 does SOOO much less damage. Its still his more versatile ultra but Metsu Shoryuken does way more damage. You can combo it from just a J.HK to. Hes still a top character for sure. but DP is not what it used to be.

oBryant

Noob
Ive had SSF4 for 2 days. Trust me, Ryu is nerfed! DP is trash, it trades with like everything now. Also DP>FADC>Ultra 1 does SOOO much less damage. Its still his more versatile ultra but Metsu Shoryuken does way more damage. You can combo it from just a J.HK to. Hes still a top character for sure. but DP is not what it used to be.
I know, I said that there is a dmg nerf. but overall he is still the same.. Nothing new besides the above. I wouldn't concider it "nerfed" just changed.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Akuma's demon flip, for instance, can grab crouching opponents, but you don't see unblockable wakeup grabs spammed by Akuma players... it could be as simple as making the properties work like that.
So you would rather it doesn't grab people in the air, but grabs crouchers instead? The reason why people don't spam akuma's throw is because you can jump out of it.

The fact is, in order to perform what you're talking about with Cammy, not only would you have to time the hooligan to be in position to grab on wakeup, but also time it based on move strength, distance from the opponent, predict quick recovery, predict wakeup reversals(just about everything beats hooligan), predict wakeup backdashes, etc. There's just too many factors that go into it to make unblockable wakeup hooligans remotely safe. Point is, she needed it and didn't get it...I'll still play her here and there but she's not the character she could have been.
Characters with bad reversals can't really get away from it otherwise. You can't backdash because you're considered airborne while backdashing, so it will catch you. If you hit one, you can just do it again since throws aren't techable, just over and over and over again.

oBryant

Noob
So you would rather it doesn't grab people in the air, but grabs crouchers instead? The reason why people don't spam akuma's throw is because you can jump out of it.

Characters with bad reversals can't really get away from it otherwise. You can't backdash because you're considered airborne while backdashing, so it will catch you. If you hit one, you can just do it again since throws aren't techable, just over and over and over again.

Do you even play st?

Hah, is this a joke?
What do you mean?