What's new

Who was under represented?

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Before the patch hits and changes the game for a final time, this is the last chance to talk about who YOU feel flew under the radar in this patch and deserves a little more recognition. What are the most underrated variations and characters in the game?

1. Summoner Quan (all Quan for that matter) is still really good.

2. Mileena Ravenous and Ethereal are both really dumb and better than most characters best variation, it just doesn't matter because Piercing checks all the boxes by its self.

3. Crystalline Tremor is still very very good and is very much the same Tremor in a lot of ways. Flex is probably the best special in the game. Aftershock also has its uses as a surprisingly competent zoner becoming devastating when used for specific counter picks.

4. Lasher Takeda is really really dumb, just because he isn't as dumb as Ronin and SR doesn't make him less dumb. He has dominant air normals, same insane reach, same pseudo unblockables, best space control out of Takeda's variations.

5. Stunt Double Johhny is very good and has a lot of Johnny Cage's core strengths intact, just not quite as suffocating as A-List can be.

Tweedy

Noob
Lasher and Quan both have had decent rep. You just can't expect much, there are only so many top players. Neuby for example has gotten a regional top 8 and major top 16 with Lasher. Michaelangelo has obviously still done really well.

Crystalline Tremor is probably the worst, outside of the obvious Cutthroat Kano. There's a lot of match ups where Crystalline is just automatically good because of flex. It hurts so many characters.

Edit: @YUZU_RZA has been doing work lately in the EU with Crystalline, though.

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
Lasher and Quan both have had decent rep. You just can't expect much, there are only so many top players. Neuby for example has gotten a regional top 8 and major top 16 with Lasher. Michaelangelo has obviously still done really well.

Crystalline Tremor is probably the worst, outside of the obvious Cutthroat Kano. There's a lot of match ups where Crystalline is just automatically good because of flex. It hurts so many characters.

Edit: @YUZU_RZA has been doing work lately in the EU with Crystalline, though.
When you have flex, safe armored launcher, fast buttons (other than his low pokes but tremor with fast pokes sounds terrifying, imagine him having a 6f D1) and really good overall pressure, the character is absurd and for some reason everyone just abandoned him when he got touched by the nerf bat. He got touched but came back swinging.

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
Praise be to lasher takeda, the character I've been trying to get more people to play for a really really long time since he is an amazing defensive character. Although got to be honest, while lasher has the hard to blockables, they aren't very useful to him and don't compliment his gameplan that well.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Praise be to lasher takeda, the character I've been trying to get more people to play for a really really long time since he is an amazing defensive character. Although got to be honest, while lasher has the hard to blockables, they aren't very useful to him and don't compliment his gameplan that well.
I mean even if he doesn't use the htbs, it's a plus low launcher that has good coverage of the screen.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
When you have flex, safe armored launcher, fast buttons (other than his low pokes but tremor with fast pokes sounds terrifying, imagine him having a 6f D1) and really good overall pressure, the character is absurd and for some reason everyone just abandoned him when he got touched by the nerf bat. He got touched but came back swinging.
The patch dumpstered Metallic, hurt AS pretty damn bad, but Crystalline minus a huge damage nerf is mostly the same, aside from up rock being trash. Tremor Crystalline players should have been crystallizing over the OTG anyways imo.

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
The HTB is really good in Shirai Ryu because of the teleport I feel, he can get more value off of it that way, lasher just gets some plus frames and a decent way to end games, I remember when people called Lasher bad...ah those were the days

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Stunt Double isn't used because A List does every thing Stunt Double does but with a quicjly replinishable resource in stamina.
Yeah, that's basically what I said. It's what Peircing does to Mileena, Cutthroat for Kano, Swarm D'Vorah, Gunslinger EB, Demo Sonya, etc. but it doesn't mean all of those other variations r trash.

TyCarter35

Bonafide Jax scrub
This one boggles my mind. The character is super good like disgustingly good and we've had like one person get results in a professional setting (ESL) guess it shows that results aren't determining of a character's strength
Probably because everyone is using Alien Sonya and Mileena who are more abusable when it comes to dumb shit. Also I'm guessing it's because of B1's range for Kano which may be a turn off for some people but even then Kano got some dumb shit with crap like plus frames and b121 being neutral on block.

Nexallus

From Takeda to Robin
The only thing that's really stopping me from using Lasher is the inconsistency of the shuriken combos due to the different hitboxes/hurtboxes. 1 combo drop from this character can be very bad.

MrProfDrPepper

I mean even if he doesn't use the htbs, it's a plus low launcher that has good coverage of the screen.
Oh do not get me wrong EX kunai is AMAZING with lasher, just not for the htb, it is amazing as a scare tactic so that people are afraid to move so you can get it positioning for free, it is good for burst rushdown and then using the plus frames to retreat when you are done, it is amazing, you just need the distance to set it up, but you can not be too far.

MrProfDrPepper

The only thing that's really stopping me from using Lasher is the inconsistency of the shuriken combos due to the different hitboxes/hurtboxes. 1 combo drop from this character can be very bad.
I've found them pretty consistent but at the same time he is my main so I've had time to get used to it, however it isn't really my main combo to go for, I like starter ex whip flurry NJP 44 whip strike for the spacing and amazing oki.

Nexallus

From Takeda to Robin
I've found them pretty consistent but at the same time he is my main so I've had time to get used to it, however it isn't really my main combo to go for, I like starter ex whip flurry NJP 44 whip strike for the spacing and amazing oki.
Yeah but 4,4 just seems easy and leaves me feeling like I could do much more you know? I wish I could play Lasher like you, but instead I find myself playing Kenjutsu which also happens to be an under-represented variation.
:DOGE

tafka Djinn

One for three off the roof
Summoner Quan Chi, Cutthroat Kano, and Spectral Ermac have to be the top three most under represented variations in the current game state in my opinion. Liu Kang, Jacqui, and Quan Chi for overall most under represented though.