What's new

Question - Grandmaster Who is the best Sub?

Who is the grandest of all grandmasters?

• Lord Brady

Votes: 155 43.5%
  • Madzin

Votes: 201 56.5%

• Total voters

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
Tom Brady. While people have been giving Tom tips on how to improve his gameplay, he has not even had ANYONE to play. So your advices are all trash. If you have been watching his stream lately you can see the MASSIVE improvements he has made since the earlier builds of the game. That's because he's finally getting actual games in. Though Tom has yet to produce results, there has certainly been an improvement worthy of notice. All that remains to be seen is how much he actually can improve
well, you're obviously goat city

rubmytaco

CarriedByClone
It's really hard to name a best but I think that Brady, Madzin, @STB BroZki, @rubmytaco, and @RagingRicans can be considered as far superior sub players than the norm.
Thanks for the mention, but my Sub isn't anywhere near where it used to be. I recently played @zoofs and he was giving me a really hard time. He's playing the Sub you need to play with the way the game's evolving, whereas I'm playing more reserved and it's killing me lol.

crosshair271

Sub-Xerox
how are you STILL salty about this? "trying to teach him since week 2" lol shatter combos werent even optimized for standard play let alone tournaments till the second month of the game. Why do you even care which combos he used? Clearly he made the right decision as hes made a shitload more impact on MKX than any of the posters in the sub zero forums, maybe its you who should be trying to learn something from him
There is nothing to learn.
@zoofs "This is known."

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
I like Tom.
I mean he is the kinda guy who wins the race because while everyone else stops and stagnates and decides they are "good enough", Tom constantly fuels himself with never considering himself good enough.
If given enough time, I have no doubt Tom would probably become the epitome of Sub-zero players like he was before.

Thats not to take away from Madzin, he is obviously a highly skilled player. If I were to say who is the top player right now, at this moment, for this character, it would be hard to argue against choosing him.
Just I want to put my faith in Tom. I feel like he has the potential, and he obviously has the skill. Its just about the time.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Here's something to throw a spanner in the works on the Madzin POV. He plays sub in bad match ups too, and has won them recently in tournament over the last 2 eu majors.

But this argument is kinda pointless, the results are always gonna be in Madzins favour because he attends more events.

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
I think it's also a matter of theory vs practice when it comes to Tom v Madzin. Tom knows pretty much every piece of Sub-Zero tech there is to know, but wasn't able to get good practice for a very long time. Not that online isn't good practice for tournaments, I'm talking fighting long sets vs very high level players.

Madzin seems to have gotten a lot more practice, especially because he attends so many tournaments.

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
You have no idea what you are talking about. Your combos are way to inconsistent for tournament play. B2, B2, D1, D1, B12~Clone and all your other combos on crouching female characters as a BnB are just not consistent enough to rely on when it matters.

What I do is optimized and made to be 100% consistent. I'll take B2, 11~Ice Ball any day over your stuff on crouching female characters. I'll only go for the bigger damage if im willing to spend the bar. Off of a clone shatter there is no better consistent combo to do on females than the one I do unless you spend a bar. Finally using the tech? Yes.. I am finally armor breaking Goro and other various tech. Wait, where did that come from again? I doubt you have even seen me play SZ at all in the last few weeks but still continue on with your expert analysis.

But people like you have been crushing me for god knows how long and its the main reason why I'd rather die then talk about SZ on these forums. The only reason why my SZ wasnt playing at the level it is currently was because of the crap netcode. Finally I have ppl to play and PRESTO!! Progress...
While I normally agree with most of what you say, you know you were stubborn in early MKX.

I remember when everyone was trying to tell you to end in F12 when Madron started doing it and you just wouldn't for the longest time. I'm guessing it was just pride, and no harm was done, but he does have a point.

Here's something to throw a spanner in the works on the Madzin POV. He plays sub in bad match ups too, and has won them recently in tournament over the last 2 eu majors.

But this argument is kinda pointless, the results are always gonna be in Madzins favor because he attends more events.
I think I've actually attended more events or at least the same, I just never placed in the top a a major. I have 10 major events but 6 of my 10 events have resulted in 9th,9th,9th, 13th,13th,13th. I also have a top 32, and a 17th. I have a few regional events that im in the top 3 but no major wins or top 8 appearances at any majors. While I dont call these "results" and I plan on doing better this upcoming year, no one has had any better results with the character over here in the USA thus far and this is WITHOUT anything outside of practice mode due to the crap netcode. While Madzin was certainly the better SZ when the thread was made, his highest USA placing is 9th and that was with Kotal Kahn. As all SZ, his highest placing in the USA was 27th. I do not mean any offense to the eu guys but the tournaments there are much smaller and there is a thinner pool of tier 1 players. USA has more everything.. more good and more bad players because there are just more players in general. Its just much harder over here.

Another thing is that the DVorah I need to go through is Honeybee and this will be at every event. The Predator I need to go through is REO. Tekken Master is a BIG step down when it comes to those mu's, which I also may add it was 1/1 vs Predator and a loss vs his D'Vorah. Takeda? Nivek is a very good player but no way in hell is he on Raptor's level when it comes to the SR variation. Again, Madzin is 1/1 vs his Takeda. Tekken Master also used F/T and won a game and lost a game. No way can you compare Tekken Master's F/T to Bio's, they are not even close. These are all also single games and not even a complete set. For some of us, switching characters wont happen so we actually need to win the set and not just a single game.

Destroyer is a very good HQT Predator. He has made top 8 in ESL on 2 occasions. At SummerJam we were the final match to qualify for top 16 and it was a great and close set with me coming out on top. However, It was never even considered a great feat because it wasnt REO or FK's Predator despite the fact that he was still very good and Predator was his primary character and not is 5th character to be used as a counter. I've beaten Plenty of F/Ts in sets in tournament but it again was not considered anything because it wasn't Bio.

I hate getting into these discussions about facts but not all of the facts. It makes me look like the bad guy when I complete the picture. If it were me, you best believe every single fact would be covered as if it were an autobiography. I also do not care about anything other than winning NWM at this point. But I just had to add, winning a bad mu with a character doenst mean winning game 1, losing game 2, then switching game 3. Even vs Pig at ESL finals - Kenshi vs SZ is BARELY adv Kenshi, but after every loss to the character it was back to character select. Winning a game in a bad mu when its the guys 8th character is still tough and I credit that because it is still hard. But its much harder to win a set vs the best versions of those characters in the world over one game when its their 8th character.

Who the better SZ is does not matter. At these big tournaments over here we both lost with no top 8s. Foxy is right when he says its all about winning. I do not care who you guys love or hate or consider the best SZ. I want to win and thats all I care about. I finally have a way to level up with the new netcode and I certainly dont plan on spending time on worrying if im the best SZ when I could be grinding. Madzin is a great player, if you want to say he's the best then so be it. I can't worry about that and I have no issue with him being considered the best.

I hope we can just close this thread because it simply doesnt matter. No opinions will help me win, only playing non stop and getting better can do that. Id rather win and have a bad opinion on my level over lose and have a good one. This is the last time I will ever say anything on this matter or about "best sz". I really want to win so I have practice to do...

Last edited:

Revenant Zero

Death Comes
I remember trying to pick my main for MKX and thinking either waiting on Rain (Which never happened...) or picking one of the ninjas. I fell in love with Cryomancer (Sub-Zero) for his range and at the time, I thought GM was pretty weak. It wasn't until I saw a YouTube video of Tom that I decided to change my main variation to GM. Those corner combos, the patient clone placement, player adaptability during tournament play was so inspiring. More so was when I learned of Tom’s dedication to Sub-Zero. Now I’ve seen the matches where Tom has lost but he gets really close to turning the tide. That’s the kind of player I respect, I wouldn’t say worship but definitely Tom inspired me to play as Sub-Zero and learn from other players who advance the stratagems for Sub-Zero.

I did see iDante this past Saturday play a nasty Sub-Zero game against Alien Acidic. Shit got me hyped as hell.