What's new

Question - A-List Who is still playing Cage?

Tweedy

Noob
Mantis and nobody else fell short of top 8 at EVO because of how mid tier Cage is. You guys take your character not being top tier way too seriously lol.

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
You realise everyone in the cage community including all the players who have never said he was anything but amazing and have been doing well with him are agreeing hes solid mid tier now. Ismael is saying the same thing, we're not saying hes unplayable, hes not total dogshit. He isnt tourament viable at the highest level, you're limiting your potential playing him. Picking him over liu or cassie is nothing but a handicap. Thats the issue. The benefits of picking him and hugggeeely outweighed by the negatives. Thats what we want sorted!
Yeah I know, I've said multiple times I agree Cage needs help and that he's mid tier. I agree with everything in this post whole heartedly.

It's when you get @ismael4790 coming in here saying he's got worse defense than Quan that had me triggered. Now that's downplay in the truest form. I can just about see the comparison between their defense but to say Cage's is actually worse is just dumb and ive backed up that with facts multiple times.

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
Mantis is experimenting with a new possible character.

Help us NRS

Also Tile, I understand what you are trying to say but you aren't giving good examples. "his D3 is too slow to get out of frame traps" then use D1 for this and in a scramble use D3, at worst if they block it you can d1/backdash/njp/cross-up as you are only -1 not -9

Its shit on hit, but there is a big reason why, Quans 50/50s. The moment cage can HKD into the corner, summon a rune and have armored 50/50s or has full screen armored force-balls for no meter, we can talk about character comparisons

Ultimately comparing two weak characters defense is moot and a discussion not worth having.
I know, I understand all of this but it wasn't me who started the Cage/Quan comparison in the first place. Quan obviously has better offense than Cage but his defense is worse.

And yeah I agree, let's just leave this discussion to die in the dirt where it belongs haha.

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
Yeah I know, I've said multiple times I agree Cage needs help and that he's mid tier. I agree with everything in this post whole heartedly.

It's when you get @ismael4790 coming in here saying he's got worse defense than Quan that had me triggered. Now that's downplay in the truest form. I can just about see the comparison between their defense but to say Cage's is actually worse is just dumb and ive backed up that with facts multiple times.
We both gave our arguments. Cage defense undeniably sucks balls, so definitely the question of whose defense is worse in current state of the game is at least debatable, I'm not gonna repeat the reasons.

I respect your opinion, just don't share it. I won't call you downplayer for that though.

However, if you play Sorcerer Quan and you are not in Quan forums right now asking for the nerfs he actually deserves (as I did with A-List in the past, as many other Cage players), you are downplaying your own character, you should be more concerned about that than getting involved in discussions in a subforum of a character that actually got hit hard in this patch.
You will probably choose to remain silent about Sorcerer state though, as the majority of Quan players. That is downplay in its purest form, and even worse, because it's selfish intentional downplay :p

Have a nice day.

Last edited:

Wigy

There it is...
We both gave our arguments. Cage defense undeniably sucks balls, so definitely the question of whose defense is worse in current state of the game is at least debatable, I'm not gonna repeat the reasons.

I respect your opinion, just don't share it. I won't call you downplayer for that though.

However, if you play Sorcerer Quan and you are not in Quan forums right now asking for the nerfs he actually deserves (as I did with A-List in the past, as many other Cage players), you are downplaying your own character, you should be more concerned about that than getting involved in discussions in a subforum of a character that actually got hit hard in this patch.
You will probably choose to remain silent about Sorcerer state though, as the majority of Quan players. That is downplay in its purest form, and even worse, because it's selfish intentional downplay :p

Have a nice day.
Why is sorcerer OP?

ismael4790

Why is sorcerer OP?
Safe meterless armored corner 50/50s that lead into same situation after knockdown, in a game where armor launchers have been removed...

It's not a common variation, but I have found some good players of it that are honest enought to admit how bs it is now.

Wigy

There it is...
Safe meterless armored corner 50/50s that lead into same situation after knockdown, in a game where armor launchers have been removed...

It's not a common variation, but I have found some good players of it that are honest enought to admit how bs it is now.
I came up with a few setups which lead to that ridiculous 80% combo on him from a wakeup in the corner. Kitana has one off her ex df2 which is like 2 bars of death. Might post some of em.

I never play vs him so not noticed.

ismael4790

I came up with a few setups which lead to that ridiculous 80% combo on him from a wakeup in the corner. Kitana has one off her ex df2 which is like 2 bars of death. Might post some of em.

I never play vs him so not noticed.
For strange reasons the variation is not very popular, so you will find few players to train, but it is really fucked up specially after general changes in the game.

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
Yet he's still winning tournaments and making people salty with 10-0 matchups and even GM players feel he is unfair and should be removed from the game.

I really hope the patch comes and makes SD clones available only once per match.
It definitively would balance the grandmaster matchup if GM cooldown is removed on clone to make it more even.

GOOD DRAGON

Awesometacular
Yeah I just play him for fun. MKX is boring me. I don't wanna bother picking up a better character tho if I had to choose it would be dragonfist, HQT or hellfire.
HQT is pretty fun - i am addicted to cancel characters so needed my fix after the patch and HQT deff fills in the gap cuz he can still do 2 cancels with a full bar of stamina

Saltea Mike

ROG Mike
Yet he's still winning tournaments and making people salty with 10-0 matchups and even GM players feel he is unfair and should be removed from the game.

I really hope the patch comes and makes SD clones available only once per match.
It definitively would balance the grandmaster matchup if GM cooldown is removed on clone to make it more even.

You got to be joking.

I just can't let it go. What tournaments? Name one? Name the player? Which variation?

Also forgive me I'm not gonna comment on your SD' idea.

Last edited:

ismael4790

A-List is not dead but not many reasons to pick him when you have hellfire or Dragon's fire going around if you want a true strong cancel character that can wakeup with more than a high armor.

Fisticuffs is ok as for his specific tools, whiffing issues apart. His ex fistbump helped. If ex flipkick had armor (changing hit adv so it doesn't launch in the corner) it would be very solid.

Stunt double is one or two steps away from sucking.

llabslb

R1D1_998
Speaking of Hellfire. Against hellfire and tremor, specifically crystal I'm finding those two match ups quite problematic. My means of checking (even when I have frame advantage) I can get low crushed by scorpions F2. Tremor pretty much gets the same thing but he gets a full combo instead with B3. I feel like I have to play really gimmicky in those match ups. Oh yeah btw, I found that even tremors D1 has low crushing properties.

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
It has to be true, I mean, I wouldn't believe it either, but why else would they nerf cage into the ground while leaving broken ass braindead variations like grandmaster intact?

I figured it was because of all the tournament players not being able to play 90% of the roster because they got shutdown by the sheer 9000 cage players plaguing the tournament scene.

That's pretty much the only logical and reasonable explanation why the latest patch happened.