What's new

Question Who Is a Good Secondary Character for a Smoke Main?

LanceMonsoon

All in on Johnny Football
I will qualify this statement by saying he doesn't need a secondary if you are planning on only playing online and not going to an offline tournament where you will be facing Kabal/Kung Lao/Sonya more frequently.
I never played Smoke at a high level, just for fun for a little while so Idk that much about him, I didn't know Sonya and Kung Lao were that tough for him. Kabal beats everyone so in a match against a Kabal you just have to pick your main, that's an obvious one. And as far as online goes, lol you can use any character online and win, I hate it. In an offline setting, however I feel that Smoke is viable enough. We see great Smokes like Wafflez and XsmokeX consistently in top 8 and CDjr when he used him.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
I never played Smoke at a high level, just for fun for a little while so Idk that much about him, I didn't know Sonya and Kung Lao were that tough for him. Kabal beats everyone so in a match against a Kabal you just have to pick your main, that's an obvious one. And as far as online goes, lol you can use any character online and win, I hate it. In an offline setting, however I feel that Smoke is viable enough. We see great Smokes like Wafflez and XsmokeX consistently in top 8 and CDjr when he used him.
Wafflez is definitely the best example of a Smoke player who has had success in tournament. IMO CDjr might have played Smoke, but probably didn't use him exclusively to get into top 8's.

Anyways, yes, at a high level Smoke players' have made it into top 8's...at which point they will typically run into characters that have excellent ways to shut down all of his options. Kabal may beat everyone, but he beats some characters worse than others. TBH, online Smoke vs Kabal is much much easier than offline.

LanceMonsoon

All in on Johnny Football
Wafflez is definitely the best example of a Smoke player who has had success in tournament. IMO CDjr might have played Smoke, but probably didn't use him exclusively to get into top 8's.

Anyways, yes, at a high level Smoke players' have made it into top 8's...at which point they will typically run into characters that have excellent ways to shut down all of his options. Kabal may beat everyone, but he beats some characters worse than others. TBH, online Smoke vs Kabal is much much easier than offline.
Lol, well if I ever decide to play online again then I will use Smoke. Quick serious question though, because I have been thinking of picking up Smoke again, why is Kung Lao tough? Is it like a 7-3 or a 6-4? Is it Smoke's hitbox and lack of armor that make it a tough mu?
Edit: RiBBz22 nvm I saw your nice write up in the Smoke MU chart about KL.

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
Lol, well if I ever decide to play online again then I will use Smoke. Quick serious question though, because I have been thinking of picking up Smoke again, why is Kung Lao tough? Is it like a 7-3 or a 6-4? Is it Smoke's hitbox and lack of armor that make it a tough mu?
It's Kung Lao's mobility. You have to be smart with your positioning and not jump recklessly.