What's new

Question Who Is a Good Secondary Character for a Smoke Main?

Smoke is at disadvantage in all of the following matchups:

Cyrax, CSZ (possibly, debatably 5-5 or 4-6), Sonya, Jax, Cage, Kung Lao, Kabal. The only characters in the game that perform well against all of these fighters, to my limited knowledge outside of Smoke, would be Kabal, Kenshi, and Freddy. One does not simply pick up Kabal, so if I were you I'd nab a pocket Kenshi or Freddy assuming you are comfortable playing a zoning style. This isn't a be-all end-all by any means, but those characters would theoretically cover the most bad matchups for smoke I'd guess. Sonya would probably be your best bet if you'd rather play a heavier footsies/rushdown game.

to way oversimplify things just go with the one of those 3 (excluding kabal) that fits your playstyle best.
rushdown = sonya
zoning = freddy
hybrid = kenshi

Personally, I stick with Smoke only; I'd rather try to fight through his bad MUs than have to play character roulette. Personal preference though.

Cyrax, CSZ (possibly, debatably 5-5 or 4-6), Sonya, Jax, Cage, Kung Lao, Kabal. The only characters in the game that perform well against all of these fighters, to my limited knowledge outside of Smoke, would be Kabal, Kenshi, and Freddy. One does not simply pick up Kabal, so if I were you I'd nab a pocket Kenshi or Freddy assuming you are comfortable playing a zoning style. This isn't a be-all end-all by any means, but those characters would theoretically cover the most bad matchups for smoke I'd guess. Sonya would probably be your best bet if you'd rather play a heavier footsies/rushdown game.

Personally, I stick with Smoke only; I'd rather try to fight through his bad MUs than have to play character roulette. Personal preference though.
I would stick with Smoke too just to better myself with him. I agree with those three (four if you count Kabal, which I don't). Thanks for giving input and backing it up with generally accepted data :)

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Sektor covers alot of Smoke's holes imo. Yeah the Sonya matchup will still suck but you're not gonna eradicate every single bad matchup with 2 characters unless they're both in the top 5, and nobody gets anywhere with that mindset.

Death

Noob
Can you explain why Freddy would be a good secondary?
Well smokes only bad MUs are probably Kabal and KL. Maybe slight disadv vs sonya,cage who freddy beats pretty convincingly. Freddy also does pretty well vs Kabal compared to other characters. KL is a wildcard but good Smokes can handle KLs.

But yeah the obvious choice is Kabal since he beats all of Smokes bad MUs but Kabal is really hard to use and I doubt picking up a pocket Kabal would beat any good KLs, Sonyas etc

Kabal is the obvious choice for everybody (except Kabal mains ;)) because he beats pretty much everybody. This is well known or at least generally agreed upon so there's no need to mention him.

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
I used Kenshi and Freddy since they were released as secondaries for Smoke. Their playstyle just feels so natural when all you play is Smoke. Not even about MUs.

They don't help against KL or Kabal (KL rapes them imo). But those MUs aren't horrific for Smoke either, so whatever.

LanceMonsoon

All in on Johnny Football
Smoke is a beast I used him for a little while. Smoke dosen't really need a secondary but if you want, pick up Kenshi as a second.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
Honestly, I just started playing Sonya recently and she does pretty well in some of Smoke's bad MU's. Plus she is a pretty easy character to pick up so that is nice too. The MU's you really need to worry about IMO are Kabal/Kung Lao/Sonya. Kabal isn't a walk in the park with Sonya but it is a ton better than Smoke. All other MU's you should really just focus on leveling up Smoke.

RiBBz22

Smoke is a beast I used him for a little while. Smoke dosen't really need a secondary but if you want, pick up Kenshi as a second.
I will qualify this statement by saying he doesn't need a secondary if you are planning on only playing online and not going to an offline tournament where you will be facing Kabal/Kung Lao/Sonya more frequently.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations

to way oversimplify things just go with the one of those 3 (excluding kabal) that fits your playstyle best.
rushdown = sonya
zoning = freddy
hybrid = kenshi

Just hear advising against picking up Kenshi if your looking for an answer to kung lao and kabal. You have to be a real master of the character to handle those matches. Sonya may be good.

I'll defer to mayo, I don't know Kenshi's MU chart outside of how he does vs smoke. I'd more readily recommend KL, Sonya, or Freddy as good alts if you're determined to have a secondary. Kenshi's great at a low level but if you're going to tournaments I'm not sure how well you'd do with him. The amount of training you'd need with Kenshi would severely hamper your ability to perform 100% with smoke imo... depends how much you play though I guess.

tldr freddy or sonya maybe KL

RiBBz22

Just hear advising against picking up Kenshi if your looking for an answer to kung lao and kabal. You have to be a real master of the character to handle those matches. Sonya may be good.
Couldn't agree more with you. I play Kenshi too but I definitely knew from the get go I wasn't using him to help me in those MU's

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Couldn't agree more with you. I play Kenshi too but I definitely knew from the get go I wasn't using him to help me in those MU's
I have to take down a great smoke player and a great kung lao player this weekend in mexico city. I`m nervous as hell. They`ve beaten me in 3 tournaments now.

RiBBz22

I have to take down a great smoke player and a great kung lao player this weekend in mexico city. I`m nervous as hell. They`ve beaten me in 3 tournaments now.
Play me online sometime and maybe we will have a random good connection