What's new

Who has the best mid or low starting string in this game?

After playing a few matches online one thing has become clear, if you don't have a good not-high starter in your arsenal you will be eating pokes all day.

The ingredients of a good mid starting string:
Starts with a mid (or low)...or overhead but this is MK11
Starts fast. The faster the better
Has range. The further the better
Has no gaps
On block, can make it safe. The less negative the better
On hit, can hit confirm into a decent combo. The more damage for less meter the better

Whomever possesses such a string shall be my next main.

Of the characters I've checked so far Cassie has a pretty good one, but I've only tried like 20% of the roster. It's a little too negative on block tho so I'm hoping there's better.

Cassie's mid starter: B2,4
Startup: 11 frames
Range: around 5 tournament squares
On block: -7
On hit: 28% damage with 1 meter

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I think Cassie and Kabal (someone correct me if needed there) have the best. Cassie's F4 is 9F startup, mid kick that leads to OH on the second hit of the string (F41), and the second hit is safe while leading to combo. They can't mash out low poke or uppercut when you're at advantage because they risk full combo against F4.

Not sure if another character has this on that level in the game.

Jacqui F3, 9 startup, -2 on block, decent range, and you can cancel F31 L2 (rank variation 1) for more pressure. It leads to 30% midscreen with one bar.

Btw OP, if your opponent is counter poking all day, basically do a step backward after you hit the poke instead of going immediately for your string. You make them whiff and hit your combo.

BanTheTesters

“My AGENT is tougher than you...”
Arguably, Kollector... F12D1 starts low and ends low. F12D2 starts low and ends overhead. His F1 has pretty good range too.
How’s is this character by the way?

He looks MAD fun!

I heard out of all the ones making the rounds he’s not on the popular side etc? Wonder if it was due to the reaction to his gameplay trailer etc

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
How’s is this character by the way?

He looks MAD fun!

I heard out of all the ones making the rounds he’s not on the popular side etc? Wonder if it was due to the reaction to his gameplay trailer etc
I really clicked with Kollector right away... I didn't expect to, He has short, simple combos. None of his combos are high-damage but he has some nice mixups and he has range moves and a teleport with Back in the Pack.

IMO his easiest, yet also highest damaging combo is F4, DB3. It's like 210 damage or something like that... keep in mind that's without a JIP (jump in punch) or anything.

BanTheTesters

I really clicked with Kollector right away... I didn't expect to, He has short, simple combos. None of his combos are high-damage but he has some nice mixups and he has range moves and a teleport with Back in the Pack.

IMO his easiest, yet also highest damaging combo is F4, DB3. It's like 210 damage or something like that... keep in mind that's without a JIP (jump in punch) or anything.
Very cool ill have to give him a shot over the weekend after work does down!

How does he stack up against the cast so far (I know it’s a bit early though) in your opinion?

Edit: also I saw I green ground fire move that looked like bos flame pit that lights cats on fire? What’s that about?

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Very cool ill have to give him a shot over the weekend after work does down!

How does he stack up against the cast so far (I know it’s a bit early though) in your opinion?

Edit: also I saw I green ground fire move that looked like bos flame pit that lights cats on fire? What’s that about?
The green ground move is cool looking and hits them away if they don't block low. It's B122, simple as that. It has okay range... you can't be too close and try it though - the startup isn't great - you'll get hit out of it at close range. I feel it's a good footsie tool though. I have successfully used it in many kompetitive matches.

BanTheTesters

The green ground move is cool looking and hits them away if they don't block low. It's B122, simple as that. It has okay range... you can't be too close and try it though - the startup isn't great - you'll get hit out of it at close range. I feel it's a good footsie tool though. I have successfully used it in many kompetitive matches.
Thanks for the info! So is that the green thing he throws in the trailer? He threw something like a projectile bottle at an oppenend which looked like a mid or low and it broke and the opponent was on fire for a bit etc?

Or am I talking about two different moves? Lol

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Thanks for the info! So is that the green thing he throws in the trailer? He threw something like a projectile bottle at an oppenend which looked like a mid or low and it broke and the opponent was on fire for a bit etc?

Or am I talking about two different moves? Lol
BF2 is a projectile that hits mid-range... I forget if it hits low or not. That's the ball thing he holds. He also has BF4 that can be enhanced so it'll lock them in position for like 2 seconds. I would say BF2 isn't a safe move to use at mid-range... I don't know the recovery frames off hand, but I'm sure they suck. I've been using it when I read them trying to come closer.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator

Kollector can do some pretty significant damage.. Trying watching some gameplay. He has decent length combos that are pretty easy.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Jade's B3 is 11f and B343 is her best string, except it's jank af. You have to mash 343 and half the time it doesn't come out or the cancel on the last 3 somehow doesn't happen. Not a reliable string.

Quantus

Rain for MK12 Kombat Pack 3
Raiden's B31xxStorm Cell has been a really good tool for me so far. Storm Cell is only -3 on block, and it is brain dead easy to hit confirm by amplifying the Storm Cell to get some good damage.

(I'm on my laptop so I can't test this, but I'm actually pretty sure that you cannot even amplify storm cell on block/whiff, so yeah, that makes it literally fool proof)

SonicNinja3532

The Wannabe Prodigy
Raiden's B31xxStorm Cell has been a really good tool for me so far. Storm Cell is only -3 on block, and it is brain dead easy to hit confirm by amplifying the Storm Cell to get some good damage.

(I'm on my laptop so I can't test this, but I'm actually pretty sure that you cannot even amplify storm cell on block/whiff, so yeah, that makes it literally fool proof)
Storm cell's last hit is a high, its a full combo punish every single time once you're used to the animation.

Quantus

Rain for MK12 Kombat Pack 3
Storm cell's last hit is a high, its a full combo punish every single time once you're used to the animation.
That makes a hell of a lot more sense. Good to know.

Luckily B31 is still only -6 (6f normals seem to be only on a select few D1s), and I think it should still be easy enough to hit confirm off of.

Last edited:

SonicNinja3532

The Wannabe Prodigy
That makes a hell of a lot more sense. Good to know.

Luckily B31 is still only -6 (6f normals seem to be only on a select few D1s), and I think it should still be easy enough to hit confirm off of.
Normals can't punish things they're the same speed as in MK games unfortunately because the first active frame and last startup frame aren't combined like in other fighters. B31 has crazy pushback though so it works great as a spacing tool anyway.

Jacquis f31 is pretty great at a 9 frame -3 on block with ok-but-not great range.

-3 is basically the "if your character doesn't have amazing mids I am going to disrespect the shit out of you" number.

Backdashes in this game might as well not exist and there's almost no armor so being -5 or more in this game feels pretty bad.

_CHINOCUDEIRO_

Machakabotones

Kollector has decent damage. He can do with 1 bar nearly 300 damage from a low starter or 222 with a restand afterwards. More or less the same as others. Also he is almost safe and with good zoning.
Arguably, Kollector... F12D1 starts low and ends low. F12D2 starts low and ends overhead. His F1 has pretty good range too.
F1 has 13f startup :confused:
The main problem with Kollector is his SLOW normals, fastest is 8f and didn´t combo. The fastest way to combo with Kollector is....13f. He is a good character but not at close distance.
P.D:What was the thread about:oops: ?

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Jacqui's b2 seems really good. Erron's f3? (the long-range mid kick). A lot of characters have amazing b4s. Shao Kahn and Erron Black are two that come to mind.

I only messed with him in practice, but Jax has some crazy mids iirc. Isn't his f33 9 frames, hit confirmable, with decent reach?

Jacqui F3, 9 startup, -2 on block, decent range, and you can cancel F31 L2 (rank variation 1) for more pressure. It leads to 30% midscreen with one bar.

Btw OP, if your opponent is counter poking all day, basically do a step backward after you hit the poke instead of going immediately for your string. You make them whiff and hit your combo.
This is mostly what I am trying to do, after outspacing my oppenent's pokes I sill need a good mid to follow through since they're still in crouching state and now there's some distance between us.

Also, I would like a good mid starter to check my crouch blocking opponents from a distance or to go on an offensive rather than do so with a high and risk getting poked.

Also also admittedly after out poking them it would be easier to jail them with a mid and that's always good.

I'll check out Jacqui when I have a chance!