What's new

Who Had the Best Sonya in MK9?

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Yup -- self explanatory. Throughout the tournament history of the game, who had the one Sonya to rule them all? I tend to lean towards riu48, but some other choices are:

Showtime
GamerBlake90
SonicFox5000
Death (we know it wasn't him)
f0xy grampa (we know it wasn't him either, but god bless his Lao)
Wafflez (fraudelent, but I figure some GGA guys might vote for this)
Clint the Beast (he's so cool, how can you not put him on the list)
MyGod (a late addition, but you can't argue with what happened at EVO)
MortySeinfeld
MITDJT (an alt, but a formidable one)

Aw why not... AK Pig Of The Hut :D

So.. Who was the most beastly Sonya to play MK9? What say you?
Edit: Post matches if you have em! Nothing like reliving some nostalgic goodness.

GGA 16 Bit CURBOLICOUS FOREVER KING subzerosmokerain

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
Blake though he denies it constantly.

Edit: Whoa, no offense to Pig but his Sonya is not great, shouldn't be mentioned here.

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
Yup -- self explanatory. Throughout the tournament history of the game, who had the one Sonya to rule them all? I tend to lean towards riu48, but some other choices are:

Showtime
GamerBlake90
SonicFox5000
Death (we know it wasn't him)
f0xy grampa (we know it wasn't him either, but god bless his Lao)
Wafflez (fraudelent, but I figure some GGA guys might vote for this)
Clint the Beast (he's so cool, how can you not put him on the list)
MyGod (a late addition, but you can't argue with what happened at EVO)
MortySeinfeld
MITDJT (an alt, but a formidable one)

Aw why not... AK Pig Of The Hut :D

So.. Who was the most beastly Sonya to play MK9? What say you?

GGA 16 Bit CURBOLICOUS FOREVER KING
Mygod, no question about it. I have been training with him for two years and anyone that had played him online would be able to vouch for him. While he doesn't have the a long list of results, 3rd at EVO is more than any other Sonya main was able to accomplish imo.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
Yes, and I will continue denying it until you fools see the light.

If you people still don't get it, I have no idea what to say.

Dude, there are times where I'm just in awe of your Sonya: Wake-up IADKs, the reads, spacing, it goes on. Your tourney nerves are the only fucking thing holding your Sonya back.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
Stop excusing my losses with tourney nerves. It gets old.

And it wasn't my Sonya that took third at EVO this year.

Where is the respect for MyGod?! How can you not vote for him?

Okay, people overrate the fuck outta EVO. It's one tournament, and while it may be the largest FG tournament it's literally an extra 3 or so matches if you go through the winners bracket. You may not even face great opponents in the first couple of matches depending on your pool. I'm not downplaying MGs accomplishment in the least, I just feel you're better.

Also, you dropped a Sonya corner combo at......Final Round I think it was..... that I've seen you hit a hundred times. You had a complete brain fart, even if it's not "tournament nerves" it's still SOMETHING.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Okay, people overrate the fuck outta EVO. It's one tournament, and while it may be the largest FG tournament it's literally an extra 3 or so matches if you go through the winners bracket. You may not even face great opponents in the first couple of matches depending on your pool. I'm not downplaying MGs accomplishment in the least, I just feel you're better.

Also, you dropped a Sonya corner combo at......Final Round I think it was..... that I've seen you hit a hundred times. You had a complete brain fart, even if it's not "tournament nerves" it's still SOMETHING.

It's obvious I'm not going to convince you. I don't want to derail this thread, so let's just leave it.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
It's obvious I'm not going to convince you. I don't want to derail this thread, so let's just leave it.

The whole thing is a topic of "Who had the best Sonya" and we're talking about just that. I say you're the best, you disagree and say someone else is, I don't agree. That's not derailment, that's a discussion.

Edit: I think it'd be better if we had some type of criteria. Are we going by tournament performance? What we've seen from the player period (casuals, MMs, etc.)? What?

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
The whole thing is a topic of "Who had the best Sonya" and we're talking about just that. I say you're the best, you disagree and say someone else is, I don't agree. That's not derailment, that's a discussion.

Edit: I think it'd be better if we had some type of criteria. Are we going by tournament performance? What we've seen from the player period (casuals, MMs, etc.)? What?

My point is, I don't want this thread to become a back-and-forth exchange of why I am or am not the best Sonya when there are plenty of candidates out there who actually proved to be deserving of the title.

For example, who lost to Tyrant's Jax at MLG Dallas while using Sonya? Me.

Who beat him while using Sonya? Showtime.

Since you mentioned Final Round 16, do you also want to explain why I lost a 4-6 to Pokchop's Kenshi, but GGA Jeremiah was able to take Sheeva and beat that same Kenshi in a match-up that is painfully a 2-8 or 1-9 if I saw one? Or why I still lose to Kitanas even though people constantly preach that Sonya has an advantage against her, yet I just don't see how Sonya has the upper hand?

Already pointed out how MyGod got third at this year's EVO, which, I might add, is not a tournament that you can call overrated. There's a reason it's regarded as the king of major tournaments...a very good reason.

Oh, and please don't get me started on how I began losing to players who hadn't used Sonya for as long as me, yet were still able to beat me. And this was long before the above happened.

Bottom line, I was able to go nowhere with this character, and I hate admitting that simply because I revered Sonya more than any other character on the MK9 roster and hoped to become a legend with her. And I did become a legend, all right...but a legend known for failing HARD. So how you can still say that my Sonya is something to be respected escapes me. Try taking notes from a Sonya player who actually knows what they're doing for a change.