What's new

Who else was hoping for a new fighting engine?

MK2D

Have you had your MK today?
I mean MKX was great, but I was really hoping the series would take a more realistic approach to fighting instead of these “Fatal Blows” that turn your opponent to a pulpy mush only for them to spring right back up again as if nothing happened.

I would’ve loved to see a more tactical engine implemented, where the really brutal moves were very difficult to pull off and the general fighting would gradually wear an opponent down, with both physical and visual damage done to different body parts which would alter the course of a match.

In other words, damage would actually have significance, and a skilled player could even end a match early if they knew how to read an opponent well enough, and knew their character’s arsenal and punishers well enough.

The way it is now will still be fun, but it’s also kinda ridiculous. MK could really be so much more that no other fighting game has even approached yet, but it looks like we’ll have to wait until who knows when.

They wont probably ever do that. They cater to the casuals they make up 90% of the people that play the game so ed already said he didnt want to make the game difficult for those type of people.

ive often thought through the concept of actual injuries (maybe even instead of lifebar) in fighting games but it really doesnt seem practical. one broken arm/leg with all the consequences would 99% mean you lose the whole thing. i agree it looks stupid when someone just jumps back to his feet and fights after recieving blades through heart, brain and stomach (TBH i could do without all that violence nonsense).

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
I agree that mid-match x-ray moves are ridiculous, but... it’s Mortal Kombat. It’s supposed to be over-the-top ridiculous. Look at all the blood that flies out from every single hit, since the very beginning of the series. The same could be said for super moves in Injustice, Street Fighter, etc.

I remember playing Time Killers in the arcade when I was a kid, and that game did what you are saying. You could lose your arms during a match and keep playing. You could even get decapitated at the very beginning of the match and lose. It was awesome. But I don’t think that would work with how intricate and competitive fighting game are nowadays. Losing access to anything in your arsenal, whether it be specific attacks, or movement... that would just not go over well with the community. People want to have consistent, reliable options.

Last edited:

MK2D

Have you had your MK today?
I agree that mid-match x-ray moves are ridiculous, but... it’s Mortal Kombat. It’s supposed to be over-the-too ridiculous. Look at all the blood that flies out from every single hit, since the very beginning of the series. The same could be said for super moves in Injustice, Street Fighter, etc.

I remember playing Time Killers in the arcade when I was a kid, and that game did what you are saying. You could lose your arms during a match and keep playing. You could even get decapitated at the very beginning of the match and lose. It was awesome. But I don’t think that would work with how intricate and competitive fighting game are nowadays. Losing access to anything in your arsenal, whether it be specific attacks, or movement... that would just not go over well with the community. People want to have consistent, reliable options.
Those are good points. If anything I was hoping for the most violent moves to be more rare and at least saved for end-match situations. Agreed that MK has always been over the top, and that it’s ironically stayed that way for practical reasons.

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
Those are good points. If anything I was hoping for the most violent moves to be more rare and at least saved for end-match situations. Agreed that MK has always been over the top, and that it’s ironically stayed that way for practical reasons.
I always felt the same about the x-ray moves - that they should be some sort of ender, kinda like what they did with brutalities in MKX.