What's new

Who does Scorpion lose to?

Scorpion beats Liu Kang, Jacqui it's 5 - 5 ( She can't flawless punish F34 or 212, she would win if she could FB punish those ) Sub Zero loses slightly but it might be 5 - 5, 5 - 5 vs Geras ( Scorpion B2 can full combo punish low sand at range), 5 - 5 vs Erron Black ( He can stop Erron from using his sniper and gun stand whenever he feels like it ) Sonya 5 - 5, Cassie 5 - 5 because they can't zone him.
Where’d you get these numbers? Lol

What you need is a big dick punish ready to go so that the risk-reward of teleport is swung in your favor meaning that you do more damage to him when you block it than he does to you when he connects. Try to stay at about jump-in range. Do not try to enforce your gameplan or dictate the pace of the match. Instead let him do what he wants, but block it and punish him HARD. You don't beat Scorpion, he beats himself.

I like playing Cetrion against him because I've memorized most of the punishment tech. However the easiest answers I can think of are Baraka and Jacqui. Baraka kills him with damage output and a similarly simple gameplan. Jacqui puts him in pressure hell every time he fucks up.
He beats Cetrion, but I do agree with Jacqui, Baraka especially.

I don't know if you are going to find a free easy win against Scorpion but if I had to say, pick a character from your pool of preferred characters that can heavily punish teleport on block. If you like Noob, don't use Seeing Double against Scropion, use Dark Sabbath for big ass teleport punishes. And I don't really know what level you are playing at, but don't be afraid to block. Make hard reads where you just hold block after movement or something and let a lot of these Scorpion players hang themselves.
Scorpion bodies Noob. Sonya is a great pick.

Isn't Scud Shot in neutral against Scorpion suicidal?
Thing is he doesn’t ever have to use Scud Shot. His staggers, mixups, & cancels are all you need. Also hitbox issues favor EB in this MU. He can low profile a number of Scorp’s best moves f3 and b1 to name a few.

No losing matchups.

But he goes even with Erron, Jacqui, Sonya and Geras, among a few others.
None of those MUs are even. Doesn’t matter which variation he’s using either. He can’t effectively dominate midrange without risking them getting on top of him.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Scorpion beats Liu Kang, Jacqui it's 5 - 5 ( She can't flawless punish F34 or 212, she would win if she could FB punish those ) Sub Zero loses slightly but it might be 5 - 5, 5 - 5 vs Geras ( Scorpion B2 can full combo punish low sand at range), 5 - 5 vs Erron Black ( He can stop Erron from using his sniper and gun stand whenever he feels like it ) Sonya 5 - 5, Cassie 5 - 5 because they can't zone him.
These arbitrary and subjective MU numbers mean nothing and don’t actually help anyone.

Wtf i play noob and i like to play against scorpion :D
How’re you guys feeling the Noob matchup? I think Scorp has advantage for these reasons;
  1. Anti-zoning. Just the threat of TP forces Noob to play up close and personal. He also has to fight up close regardless of who has the life lead.
  2. Scorpion can punish b1,1+3 with b2 leading to full combo.
  3. He has nothing to fear mid and close ranges.
Correct. Just beware of max range b+1,1+3 as the first hit of b+2 whiffs.

Noob has krushing blows on both throws, but there is no mid-screen okizeme on either one. So if you have the life lead, I suggest not teching. You will take 14% of damage, but you will be out of harm's way, which is better than teching wrong and eating 31% on the next throw. A combo that ends in a re-stand followed by a krushing blow throw deals massive damage.

I agree with you that Scorpion most likely has the advantage in this match. Aside from the Noob's excellent damage output, he is limited. There is not much he can do to threaten Scorpion who has superior mobility, throws, staggers, etc.
A short discussion @M2Dave and I had about the Scorp vs Noob MU. I think these points still stand.

The downplay it's real, you guys can't be basing MUs numbers solely on tournament results or just because you say so. For example, At CEO, what Buffalo was doing ( D4 into shoulder ) against Scar can be interrupted & punished easily by simply pressing S1s. Not discrediting Buffalo, he's one of the best player and definitely the best SZ out there but I guarantee you that match would have played differently had Scar know what to do against D4 into shoulder. Stop saying this MU feels bad because it's a rushdown character or because it feels like it, that's not how it works ;)

Last edited:
any tips how to fight scorpion as sub zero ? variation with ex freeze and shoulder
Thin ice is better just for the slide. They'll respect it and restrain themselves. Plus, you need it to counter their spear.
Block their teleports too and have fun with their mental shutdown. :)

Bruno-NeoSpace

They see me zonin', they hatin'
Scorpion destroys Kang. Can't do much zoning and he wins the footsies battle.

If you're struggling in that MU here's the tip: don't try to play the close range. Play from mid to fullscreen.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
MU numbers aren’t important. They aren’t based on anything. They’re supposed to be based on something, but they aren’t. Anyone who throws out numbers I automatically stop caring about what they say on the topic, doesn’t matter if it’s Joe Schmo or SonicFox.

Now if you say you believe a character wins/loses the MU, that’s fine. It’s still a largely arbitrary and unmeasurable statement, but it’s better than throwing out random numbers.

Anyslut, a character doesn’t have to necessarily “win” a MU to be good in the MU. Because determining whether a character “wins” a MU these days is 100% subjective.

The downplay it's real, you guys can't be basing MUs numbers solely on tournament results or just because you say so. For example, At CEO, what Buffalo was doing ( D4 into shoulder ) against Scar can be interrupted & punished easily by simply pressing S1s. Not discrediting Buffalo, he's one of the best player and definitely the best SZ out there but I guarantee you that match would have played differently had Scar know what to do against D4 into shoulder. Stop saying this MU feels bad because it's a rushdown character or because it feels like it, that's not how it works ;)
Dude nobody is talking numbers but you. You probably don’t even play the character. Who cares about 1 match with tournament players. MU are determined from long sets. Not a ft2-3.

Scorpion destroys Kang. Can't do much zoning and he wins the footsies battle.

If you're struggling in that MU here's the tip: don't try to play the close range. Play from mid to fullscreen.
Why would LK be zoning? Lol

He can’t really use spear, Fly kick punishes on block. He can’t run away from LK all day. At some point he has to come in to try and get damage.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
None of those MUs are even. Doesn’t matter which variation he’s using either. He can’t effectively dominate midrange without risking them getting on top of him.
I disagree. A hard 5-5 is still a 5-5.
There is a difference in having struggles in a matchup and struggling against a matchup.
For example, Jade goes even with Shang but fuck that matchup is disgusting to play because of corpse drop.
At the same time, Shang players tell me it's irritating to fight Jade because she negates a lot of their gameplan.

With Scorpion, the main thing is that he's the one whose gameplan suffers when dealing with characters who he can't Two-Side effectively without taking huge risks. The main issue in the Sonya matchup for example, is that she comes back from any life lead with a single touch so the comfort of the standard "combo them once and then hang back and play safe" is not going to work against her.

Geras, on the other hand, will gain that life lead himself and it's Scorpion who'll have to wrest control dancing between sand traps and f2s.

These aren't bad matchups.
These are hard matchups.

I (reborn scorp main) have most trouble against liu kang, sonya, and erron.
I got less trouble vs Liu Kang as Reborn but it's still hard.

Sonya, Baraka, Jacqui, Erron Black and Sub Zero are the worst for me.
Honorable mentions go to Cassie and Jax.

I don't think the Sub Zero matchup is hard for Scorpion though, just for me as I'm unable to block the overhead on reaction. Also I'd probably do a ton better against Erron if I had the fuzzy guard on deck.

Last edited:
I disagree. A hard 5-5 is still a 5-5.
There is a difference in having struggles in a matchup and struggling against a matchup.
For example, Jade goes even with Shang but fuck that matchup is disgusting to play because of corpse drop.
At the same time, Shang players tell me it's irritating to fight Jade because she negates a lot of their gameplan.

With Scorpion, the main thing is that he's the one whose gameplan suffers when dealing with characters who he can't Two-Side effectively without taking huge risks. The main issue in the Sonya matchup for example, is that she comes back from any life lead with a single touch so the comfort of the standard "combo them once and then hang back and play safe" is not going to work against her.

Geras, on the other hand, will gain that life lead himself and it's Scorpion who'll have to wrest control dancing between sand traps and f2s.

These aren't bad matchups.
These are hard matchups.
Bad is anything other than good.

They aren’t even MUs. Well I’ll give you Geras because he’s not as good as EB or Sonya inside.

The mid range control isn’t as effective with characters with good mids to counterpoke with. Jacqui for example can dominate him once she blocks anything from him. You can’t run away all day. He ain’t Cetrion lol.