What's new

Who are the top "influencers" in the NRS community? Podcast Discussion.

Who are the top 11 "influencers" in the NRS community?

• Total voters

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Which is also why I said that there is a distinction between the NRS community and TYM.
What is the distinction? TYM represents the NRS community just like Event Hubs and SRK represent the Capcom communities and Tekken Zaibatsu represents the Tekken community. I am well-aware that Discord, Facebook, Reddit, and Twitter have impacted these websites by creating smaller communities.

The NRS community does most certainly not consist of casual gamers such as GameFAQs users, who play every NRS fighting game for a month at most and then proceed to move on to the next most popular game.

ProudDisciple

Average at Best
Also, why are people not showing Tweedy any love in the poll?
Noone can argue against his hard work and dedication towards grinding and leveling up. Reality is that an influencer has a “something” a quality and/or ability to draw people to them. Seems like most people on TYM don’t see that within Tweedy.

Reactions: JTC

Gerchap

Noob
I wouldn’t call it NRS communty I’d call it MK community where everything started
only one in this community comes close to @Check this guy has dedicated his life to MK and in the past years Injustice.
No one has broken each character more than Check I’m surprised no one has even mentioned him. Back in the day when the internet wasn’t as it is now he came up with great finds. A lot of those names are just celebrities who do shit for their own benefit nowadays it’s all about who has the most views. I have mad respect for players like @REO and @Tom Brady who have done a lot for the community as well

Another name that comes to mind as a big influence is @Konqrr before YouTube he was already providing combo videos on his own site Konqrr.net this guy brought a lot of traffic to the forums

If we’d have a hall of fame Check and Konqrr should be there

Mind Flex

Mind Gamer. BOOSH
In no particular order I think the following stands higher than the rest.

K&M
REO
Sonicfox
Tom Brady
Honeybee

Honorable mention to Pig of the Hut and Shujinkydink

NothingPersonal

Are you not entertained!?
I would check in the poll, but the options are limited. For me the most influencing are the ones who bring positivity and valuable info. Thus, guys like Big D, Aquaman, Reo, the condiments and other do both things, while others do one of them Destroyer (behaves like he's on crack, but organizes matches and tournaments), Honeybee (cry baby, but does good informative videos), Brady (is kind of a bummer, but is pretty entertaining and doesn't go full retrad) etc. Others like Super just are clickbaiters and don't even deserve to be in the list.
Also, m2dave, what a prick full of himself. Considers himself as a cherry of the community, but doesn't include humself in the poll. Afraid reality will hit you in the face? lol Kinda crappy to put your cohosts on the spot and not include yourself.

Krankk

Smoke & Noob & Rain
What is the distinction? TYM represents the NRS community just like Event Hubs and SRK represent the Capcom communities and Tekken Zaibatsu represents the Tekken community.
Have you ever played World of Warcraft?

NRS Community = The Horde
TYM = Orgrimmar

Everyone from the community has the option to join Orgrimmar and socialize in front of its gates. Trade, duel others, watch others duel each other, go inside the city and visit the auction house.
Or do none of that and just que up for battlegrounds, arenas and raids, which take place outside Orgrimmar anyway.

My point is, that the NRS community consists out of people, who are interested in NRS products. They buy the games. They watch guides on Youtube. They watch reaction videos. They watch tournaments. They follow people on Twitter. They don't have to join TYM to be a part of the NRS community. They already are. I was too for the longest time. I know who you are from your Freddy Krueger gameplay and from your Deathstroke Low Gunshots monologues. I know who PerfectLegend is and I know who REO is. But to know all that I didn't have to be a TYM member and I also never really had to follow PL or REO. I just know it, because I'm part of the community and I notice it.

I've pointed out what makes a good influencer. REO is an awesome guy, but he is not a TOP influencer. The majority of the community isn't interested in him. I'll expand on that in a second.

I am well-aware that Discord, Facebook, Reddit, and Twitter have impacted these websites by creating smaller communities.
They're not small communities. Maximilian had up to 20K or more viewers, when he was streaming MKX on a regular basis. He got me to check out MK9 in the first place, since before I was only watching his MVC3 content. Super makes mostly NRS gameplay videos and he has +550K subscribers. UnCAGEdgamez records himself reacting to MK videos and also playing MK every now and then and he has +350K subscribers.

REO has slightly above 20K or something. After being active forever. So he is clearly doing something wrong. And I've actually already told you what. Rather pass that over to him than defending him, since that's not going to help him.

And REO could very well need that help. He is visibly trying to profit from his participation in the NRS community. He has a Youtube channel, sells merchandise and he has a Patreon account. It's just that the way he handles things... he has 2 Patreons, where HoneyBee, who started much later has that times 60 or something (so 120 Patreons and counting). I've already said what HoneyBee is doing right. He is influencing faaar more people with his opinions and what-not.
Look at Tom Brady. Dude has been around forever. And I love me some Tom Brady, but he too has a tiny Youtube account and can only get a fraction of the financial backing he is hoping for. The majority of the community doesn't know him and they don't care about him.

The NRS community does most certainly not consist of casual gamers such as GameFAQs users, who play every NRS fighting game for a month at most and then proceed to move on to the next most popular game.
Well, that's where you're wrong, M2Dave.

MK has always had pretty damn decent viewership numbers during tournaments. Even when they were only a small side tournament. That speaks volumes for the interest the franchise creates and the backing the game gets. There are individual people out there, who have more MK related items in their kollection than you, REO, Tom Brady and the rest of your crew combined. Are you going to tell me that they're casuals members of the NRS community, while you aren't? They clearly love MK more than you do. But they don't have to be registered here to be part of the community.

Again, the NRS community is gigantic. What you probably have in mind is the FGC tournament part of the NRS community. If you would have asked about that my list would have looked much different and it would have featured much different reasoning / arguing. But that's not what you wanted to know.

Last edited:

MaceWind

Crazy 88
My top 11 NRS community influencers INPO:

- @SonicFox5000
- @REO
- @Pig Of The Hut
- @Mr Aquaman
- @Kitana Prime
- @Dragon_FGC
-Ketchup (idk their @)
-Mustard (idk their @)
- @HoneyBee
- @Tom Brady
-All the people that were there before MK9 that layed the groundwork and kept MK alive for years and years. Before the support from Midway (NRS), before large prize pools, before pot bonuses, before social media was huge like it is today, back when you played and were apart of the community SOLELY for the camaraderie, pride, and love for the game. People like @Shock, @Konqrr, @dreemernj, CrazyDominican, @Tom Brady, @Pig Of The Hut, @STORMS, @THTB (Dontay), @DanCock, DC Hustle, Dark Rob, 9.95 Phil, @REO, @Gerchap, @General M2Dave, @MaceWind, @Jago, @Check, @Tim Static, SuGaR, and the list goes on and on. All these people and more were integral parts of how this entire thing we call the NRS community started. All of us driven by passion, competition, and our little community that we had built over the years. Most people today that weren’t apart of that or weren’t around don’t understand how much of an impact all these guys had. The history of our scene runs deep, some good some bad. All of it was pivotal, even the creation of this site was and has been.

And I love all of it. I love the history, I love each and every person that ever was, is, or will be apart of our community. Because each and every one of you has your own role to play. We can be combative and argumentative at times, and there’s been some bad apples, but at the end of the day, we look out for each other when it matters. That’s the entire purpose of having a community in the first place.

Sorry went on a tangent/rant... lol carry on.
Kind words but I wouldn't consider myself an influencer, more of a silent supporter. Always wanted to scene to blow up; it's gone far beyond my imagination.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Kind words but I wouldn't consider myself an influencer, more of a silent supporter. Always wanted to scene to blow up; it's gone far beyond my imagination.
Maybe not currently, but you are very much apart of influencing where our community started. And a lot of people were. They don’t get the recognition because most aren’t around anymore or their efforts and/or importance are lost in history. All these people kept MK alive enough to have a very strong starting point once MK9 dropped.

I know the question was based on the ELEAGUE thing wanting current influencers, but still, as I said our history runs deep. I think we need to a deep dive into the history of the MK community. From MK1-MK2, how impactful UMK3 was, MKT-MK4, the 3D era, all the forums (UMK.com, MKU, MKO, ClassicMK, MKE, TYM, etc), clans, the online community, the tournament community, etc etc. I know a lot of it has been discussed over the years and that @STORMS TYM podcast has been covering the history. But it would be nice to have it in ink in chronological order. Even the history post MK9, aka the NRS era.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Maybe not currently, but you are very much apart of influencing where our community started. And a lot of people were. They don’t get the recognition because most aren’t around anymore or their efforts and/or importance are lost in history. All these people kept MK alive enough to have a very strong starting point once MK9 dropped.

I know the question was based on the ELEAGUE thing wanting current influencers, but still, as I said our history runs deep. I think we need to a deep dive into the history of the MK community. From MK1-MK2, how impactful UMK3 was, MKT-MK4, the 3D era, all the forums (UMK.com, MKU, MKO, ClassicMK, MKE, TYM, etc), clans, the online community, the tournament community, etc etc. I know a lot of it has been discussed over the years and that @STORMS TYM podcast has been covering the history. But it would be nice to have it in ink in chronological order. Even the history post MK9, aka the NRS era.
This could definitely be arranged. I'm positive @General M2Dave and @Gerchap would be down. This is also something that @Shock and I planned to cover more in depth with the earlier games as well.

There is SO MUCH history..

haketh

Noob
Ketchup and Mustard had the privilege of having early access to Mortal Kombat 11 when all other content creators did not.

That true but outside of that K&M are a lot better at presenting & editing the content to make it more appealing to watch. I like Reo’s stuff but a lot of it is just kinda thrown up on YouTube without any editing done to make it more easily digestible.

Tweedy has the same issue, it’s pretty much just long sets & the like with no real hook.

Maximilian is not really a good influence, but it can't really be argued he isn't a bigger influence than any of the available choices

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Also, m2dave, what a prick full of himself. Considers himself as a cherry of the community, but doesn't include humself in the poll. Afraid reality will hit you in the face? lol Kinda crappy to put your cohosts on the spot and not include yourself.
My co-hosts have Twitch accounts. They stream regularly. I do not have a Twitch account and I do not stream regularly, which is why I did not list myself in the poll. I also never claimed to be "a cherry of the community". You are a very hateful individual.

Again, the NRS community is gigantic. What you probably have in mind is the FGC tournament part of the NRS community. If you would have asked about that my list would have looked much different and it would have featured much different reasoning / arguing. But that's not what you wanted to know.
I still cannot see any distinctions. People, casual gamers as well as professional players, purchase NRS games for the fighting. TYM represents the players who are most interested in the fighting aspect of the games. However, one does not have to be a professional player to post here. Everyone is welcome.

The vast majority of your post confuses me and addresses points I never made. For example, I never questioned the fact that Max has the most subscribers out of any content creator, or player for that matter, in the fighting game community. Besides, the bulk of Max's content revolves around Capcom and Marvel games, not NRS games.

By the way, Tom is also very popular in the NRS community. People know Tom from writing character guides and appearing in interviews and podcasts with other community leaders such as Aris and Gootecks. Even casual gamers on GameFAQs frequently create threads about the thoughts and opinions he shares on YouTube. The only other player who receives the same treatment is Sonic Fox.

Noone can argue against his hard work and dedication towards grinding and leveling up. Reality is that an influencer has a “something” a quality and/or ability to draw people to them. Seems like most people on TYM don’t see that within Tweedy.
I think people dislike Tweedy because he is a tournament player who wins with zoning characters. He received an incredible amount of hatred for using and winning with Dr. Fate in Injustice 2.

Last edited:

Wigy

There it is...
My co-hosts have Twitch accounts. They stream regularly. I do not have a Twitch account and I do not stream regularly, which is why I did not list myself in the poll. I also never claimed to be "a cherry of the community". You are a very hateful individual.

I still cannot see any distinctions. People, casual gamers as well as professional players, purchase NRS games for the fighting. TYM represents the players who are most interested in the fighting aspect of the games. However, one does not have to be a professional player to post here. Everyone is welcome.

The vast majority of your post confuses me and addresses points I never made. For example, I never questioned the fact that Max has the most subscribers out of any content creator, or player for that matter, in the fighting game community. Besides, the bulk of Max's content revolves around Capcom and Marvel games, not NRS games.

By the way, Tom is also very popular in the NRS community. People know Tom from writing character guides and appearing in interviews and podcasts with other community leaders such as Aris and Gootecks. Even casual gamers on GameFAQs frequently create threads about the thoughts and opinions he shares on YouTube. The only other player who receives the same treatment is Sonic Fox.

I think people dislike Tweedy because he is a tournament player who wins with zoning characters. He received an incredible amount of hatred for using and winning with Dr. Fate in Injustice 1.
Yeah that's the only reason tweedy gets hate

:DOGE

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
REO's channel has a plethora of high quality videos such as character guides, tier list discussions, high level gameplay, and documentaries on the history of the community and past games. Besides, there is no high quality content to be created or shared because Mortal Kombat 11 has yet to be released. Ketchup and Mustard had the privilege of having early access to Mortal Kombat 11 when all other content creators did not.

That excuse falls flat when you realize that almost all of their content post reveal has been analysis of gameplay and mechanics available to the entire community.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
It’s funny. If he would have included himself, people would complained that he listed himself. Claiming that he’s egotistical. Now that he didn’t, we have people saying stuff like this.

Always something to complain about. Y’all really need to be more positive. It’s extremely toxic constantly being negative. I don’t care if you think @General M2Dave is toxic or negative, set an example then.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Yeah that's the only reason tweedy gets hate

:DOGE
You have to admit that casual gamers hated Dr. Fate. If I had not known any better, I would have thought Semiij was winning all those War of the Gods tournaments with Dr. Fate, not Catwoman. The amount of hatred Dr. Fate and Tweedy received was simply unjustified.

It’s funny. If he would have included himself, people would complained that he listed himself. Claiming that he’s egotistical. Now that he didn’t, we have people saying stuff like this.
LOL. I was going to state the same thing. Did you also notice that I called nobody a "scrub" or "fool" on the podcast or this thread? Yet a couple of people are still hating. Then when I punch back, and I know I punch back very hard, they whine how much of an "abrasive asshole" I am.

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
Big D's
You have to admit that casual gamers hated Dr. Fate. If I had not known any better, I would have thought Semiij was winning all those War of the Gods tournaments with Dr. Fate, not Catwoman. The amount of hatred Dr. Fate and Tweedy received was simply unjustified.
I would say that the stream chat scrubs/casuals don't like Tweedy because of his zoning play style, but the TYM community probably largely doesn't like him or think of him as an influencer because he plays the heel. Whether it's an act or not, he's been hard to like for a long time, and obviously it very much backfired recently.

Shania Twain

That Don't Impress Me Much
I think to make an executive decision on this it would be whoever is making the most money and furthering their career. I just hope they are realizing this may not last forever and are saving their earnings, keeping their love for the game, and understanding they are kinda cheap promotion for the game company and have other talents. Regardless, getting paid or heard for doing or talking about what you love and being nice about it is a good positive thing so in ways all of them are. At least the ones I have heard of. I don't really follow much though either so I can't say really either way. I guess Tom Brady? He only plays Sub zero right? and always makes detailed videos explaining mechanics? at least last i saw. and of course all those super bowls he's been in and won and looks great with his shirt off. sorry. just had to state the obvious ;)

Euph0nic

Purple Glowy Stuff
Well the argument being made against reo, to put it simply and politely, is he's the tech monster and not community monster. He does have this underground; lowkey closed circle feeling about him, but it's just perception. He actually contributes as much as anyone, it all just feels low-key because that's his personality. It's a decent point. I love that shit though. Having a little shroud of badasserey. Hell i'm also a client.

Wigy

There it is...

LOL. I was going to state the same thing. Did you also notice that I called nobody a "scrub" or "fool" on the podcast or this thread? Yet a couple of people are still hating. Then when I punch back, and I know I punch back very hard, they whine how much of an "abrasive asshole" I am.
I mean tweedy has a history of playing characters that are all seen as very braindead, yes he gets shit for it but it's also his persona. All of this is irrelevant though. He just doesn't have a community presence compared to the others