What's new

Who are the most improved characters in version 1.07?

Who are the most improved characters in version 1.07?

• Total voters

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Who are the most improved characters in version 1.07 of the game? You can vote for 4 out of the 14 listed characters. You can make your decision based on a character's quantity of buffs or based on a character's biggest jump on the tier list. I would personally prefer the latter, but you can for whomever and however you wish. I will share my opinions shortly. I hope that you do the same. The results will be shared with REO, Tom, and Zyphox in a future podcast.

Note: Version 1.08 has just been released but has no effects on balance. Only bugs have been addressed.

FreshFromTheDeli

FrostFromTheDeli
D'vorah

Considering she was the worst character In the game and Arachnophobia variation in specific was underperforming compared to her Buzzed variation.

TyCarter35

Bonafide Jax scrub
Arachnophobia now complements buzzed pretty nicely with tp and restand potential with widows kiss with Buzzed being more setplay oriented with her loops

Highborn having variable block stun is big for her pressure game

Showstopper being at least on par with Shock Jock is nice and having unbreakable dmg is never a bad thing

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Liu kangs teleport variation for example is now ridiculous.
What is better about the variation?

I think Frost might have made the biggest jump on the tier list. She had some solid tools pre-patch yet no fast mid attacks to complement those tools. Now she has an 11 frame mid attack that can easily be hit-confirmed or finished on block resulting in lots of push back.

Dragon has been experimenting with Frost. Switching from Cetrion would make a big statement.

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
D'Vorah, Kollector and Frost got huge buffs across the board, so those three are easy picks for me. The 4th is a bit tougher, but I'd have to go with Seeing Double Noob.

Even though Showstopper Johnny is more viable now, that's only because of hitbox fixes. He already would have had access to B34 Camera if it didn't initially have whiff issues.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
D'Vorah and Noob.

IMO Noob is now the safest char in the game with SD, even over Kabal and his lack of gaps. His shadow slide amp is insanely useful and he can actually get the shadow KB somewhat consistently. Oh yeah, and a ton of unbreakable damage with an actual 50/50 now.

D'Vorah's frames are much better, D3 is awesome jailing, and her Arachnophobia damage and setups are stupid good... with a useable teleport now.

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
D'Vorah and Noob.

D'Vorah's frames are much better, D3 is awesome jailing, and her Arachnophobia damage and setups are stupid good... with a useable teleport now.
D'Vorah was the clear-cut winner of the patch. There's no other character in the game where I've basically gone from thinking "Really? D'Vorah?" to "Oh shit, its a D'Vorah player." In the right hands, she's a terror.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
D'Vorah was the clear-cut winner of the patch. There's no other character in the game where I've basically gone from thinking "Really? D'Vorah?" to "Oh shit, its a D'Vorah player." In the right hands, she's a terror.
Yeah I've been watching Honeybee play her almost every day he's streaming and she's just on a whole other level now. I think we will definitely be seeing D'Vorah get somewhere at the next major.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
The fact that people aren't saying Johnny is scaring me...

The character is legitimately top 6-7 AT THE VERY LEAST at the moment imo.

DVorah and Kollector did jump to mid-tier, but it isn't as drastic of a jump as Johnny.

Just wait and see lol. Players like Hayate, Sonic, Kombat, and a few others have already taken notice lol.

Last edited:

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man

DVorah did jump to mid-tier, but it isn't as drastic of a jump as Johnny.

Just wait and see lol. Players like Hayate, Sonic, Kombat, and a few others have already taken notice lol.
Dude, I dare you to go into the Johnny forums and say that. Not that I don't believe you, I know that Johnny's got solid staggers and whiff punishing, but they would eat you alive, mainly @M.D. .

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
Dude, I dare you to go into the Johnny forums and say that. Not that I don't believe you, I know that Johnny's got solid staggers and whiff punishing, but they would eat you alive, mainly @M.D. .
45% unbreakable damage with Fatal Blow. Unbreakable damage in general. Great set play with no knockdowns. Auto-shimmy string that could go into a huge hit confirm. He's like a different version of Cassie's Yaas Queen now.

Time will tell, but honestly most of these variations that got buffs won't be dominating like I see Showstopper can. Seeing Double Noob would be a close second as far as tournament viability, but Showstopper is on some crazy shit at the moment.

Remember now that people thought Yaas Queen was just "okay, but the other variation is better" for waaaay too long.

Last edited:

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
45% unbreakable damage with Krushing Blow. Unbreakable damage in general. Great set play with no knockdowns. Auto-shimmy string that could go into a huge hit confirm. He's like a different version of Cassie's Yaas Queen now.

Time will tell, but honestly most of these variations that got buffs won't be dominating like I see Showstopper can. Seeing Double Noob would be a close second as far as tournament viability, but Showstopper is on some crazy shit at the moment.

Remember now that people thought Yaas Queen was just "okay, but the other variation is better" for waaaay too long.
Believe me, I agree with you. I'm just saying, trying to explain that over there, and you'll basically just get "BUT MUH FORCEBALLZ!" as a response.

EDIT: Also, I see you mentioned SonicFox there talking about Johnny. When did he mention Johnny? Since if there's anyone that I'd wanna see a Johnny guide from (aside from Kompetitor), its him.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
Believe me, I agree with you. I'm just saying, trying to explain that over there, and you'll basically just get "BUT MUH FORCEBALLZ!" as a response.
Amp Forceballs are just one small thing that he could use in certain matchups.

Johnny doesn't even need them to be the absolute monster that he is right now.

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
Amp Forceballs are just one small thing that he could use in certain matchups.

Johnny doesn't even need them to be the absolute monster that he is right now.
Oh, thank you! It is so refreshing to actually hear someone talk about Johnny that actually knows what they're talking about, without having to go through the whole spiel about forceball whiffs. Some players act as if that's all he's got.

And if anyone knows what is like to make a lower-tier character work, its you. I've seen first-hand what you can do with Kano.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
I remember making a thread about overlooked variations a couple months ago and saying almost exactly these words, and emphasizing the unbreakable damage. All but 2 people thought I was crazy, now look. Lol

Wigy

There it is...

DVorah and Kollector did jump to mid-tier, but it isn't as drastic of a jump as Johnny.

Care to elaborate?