What's new

Who are the easiest characters to use in MK11?

Easiest Characters to use effectively at high level

• Total voters

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
I recently made a thread about the hardest characters to use and got many replies and thought what dies the community think is the easiest characters that function basically at a high level.

I will provide a few characters in the poll and Other option. If your picks are not available please comment below and list them so I can add them to the poll.

Rules:
You can re-vote
Select 5 characters
Comment your reasoning.

LawAbidingCitizen

Before I explain I'd like to state that my picks are not an insult to the players behind these characters. This meta has many layers if mind games and fundamentals. I just believe these characters play the meta easily and without high execution.

Mine are:

- Jade Emerald Defender:
She is incredibly simple and basic to use and be effective in this meta. Not the best character by any means and has flaws like Many characters but is strong in her winning MU's. (Jade players can still be talented) she us just simple.

- Sonya: she does have some difficult ring cancels in the corner but I think she is very effective without the high execution. Amazing tools for nearly everything and has very easy ways to zone/mix the opponent.

- Shang Warlock:
As a Shang Tsung player (use him for certain MU's) he has tools for nearly everything and most of it is simple. Especially his zoning with Ground Eruption and Corpse Drop which certain characters have little to no tools to deal with them.

- Liu Kang:
He has tools for almost anything, Top 5 character minimum, has easy to learn gameplan with several hurtbox issues making it very difficult to punish him with certain characters and his hurtbox is basically female. Fast moves and can be effective with a handful of moves.

- Sub Zero Dead of Winter:
Has very few buttons to utilize and in this variation has good Zoning, Footsie, pokes, damage, KB's, FB and several other tools to deal with many things. He has very strong mix in this variation where he can do 50/50's all day long snowballing to brutality.

Honorable Mentions:
Kollector
Geras
Jax

I feel like there's different criteria when discussing ease of use:

A character can be easy to use from an execution standpoint, but not necessarily gameplan (or maybe they're just bad characters) and vice versa.

Liu Kang is both easy execution-wise and easy to implement his win condition. Shang is easy to play but I don't find him easy to win with (many matchups you cannot even use hellsparks on block without being punished, so his main tool is moot). Same with Kotal, though in his case it's because he lacks tools. Baraka is easy all around.

Liu gets my vote for easiest. Easy to pick up, easy to make work in every situation. His corner optimals aren't the easiest thing in the world to time but you can get by with simplified versions.

Before I explain I'd like to state that my picks are not an insult to the players behind these characters. This meta has many layers if mind games and fundamentals. I just believe these characters play the meta easily and without high execution.

Mine are:

- Jade Emerald Defender:
She is incredibly simple and basic to use and be effective in this meta. Not the best character by any means and has flaws like Many characters but is strong in her winning MU's. (Jade players can still be talented) she us just simple.

- Sonya: she does have some difficult ring cancels in the corner but I think she is very effective without the high execution. Amazing tools for nearly everything and has very easy ways to zone/mix the opponent.

- Shang Warlock:
As a Shang Tsung player (use him for certain MU's) he has tools for nearly everything and most of it is simple. Especially his zoning with Ground Eruption and Corpse Drop which certain characters have little to no tools to deal with them.

- Liu Kang:
He has tools for almost anything, Top 5 character minimum, has easy to learn gameplan with several hurtbox issues making it very difficult to punish him with certain characters and his hurtbox is basically female. Fast moves and can be effective with a handful of moves.

- Sub Zero Dead of Winter:
Has very few buttons to utilize and in this variation has good Zoning, Footsie, pokes, damage, KB's, FB and several other tools to deal with many things. He has very strong mix in this variation where he can do 50/50's all day long snowballing to brutality.

Honorable Mentions:
Kollector
Geras
Jax
I definitely feel like Sonya should be like dark Phoenix/akuma esque as in she can and will fuck your shit up, but if you sneeze on her, she’s dead.

The -50 health was a joke lol

Daemantalo

Not Good Enough
If every character tool is used, I think Dead of Winter is pretty simple and easy to use. Enhanced Iceball discourages projectile space control and zoning and he’s super safe on everything he does. As long as someone isn’t F24ing on block, he’s solid and has a very simple gameplan. B134 also beats a lot of buttons at the sweet range it has. All around easy.

Liu Kang is easy though. does anything REMOTELY negative

IT’S F4 TIME

kcd117

Noob
I’ll consider not only simplicity of gameplan but how effective a character can be even when you just picked him up.

1 - Liu Kang: It is really easy to apply his pressure, to start his keepaway, to get in, to keep people out, to anti air, to jump in, to take your turn, to mix people up, to condition people... he has answers and options for every situation and to access most of them you only need to press F and 4. There are 4 tiers of Liu Kang: There is ninjakilla, then there are the high level Kangs, then you have the average KL Kangs and then the players that don’t know what they are doing. If look at any random Kang footage that is not Ninjakilla’s or maybe Rewind’s you’ll literally take hours to figure who is playing.

2 - Geras: high dmg, scrubby jump ins, throw loops, amazing mids, scrubby pokes, scrubby fatal blow all locked behind the execution of a 3-year-old. It takes 1 hour to pick this character up, hit his optimals and figure his neutral. The only reason he is behind Kang is bc for a Geras to really reach the summit of bullshit he needs to learn how to FB OS everything, and that takes a bit of skill.

3 - Erron Black: no matter where you are in the screen, this character plays the game for you. When in doubt, B2. When in doubt but from a far, F4. When in doubt, from a far, but feeling kinky, Slide. Did it work? Repeat! Did they block? D1D3D4D3D4D1D4D4D4D3! I strongly believe he doesn’t lose a single matchup bc there is not a single character in this game that can keep him from doing what he wants to do everywhere in the screen.

4 - Sub-Zero: nothing like being reminded why MKX was such a stressful game. The moment you give someone a 50/50, it doesn’t matter how good you are or how bad they are, you can guess wrong and lose. He wants to mix you and he has every tool he needs to enforce that in the easiest ways possible! Throw loops, half-screen overheads, low profiling D4, broken jump ins, 6 frames-masher’s-wet-dream D1 and teleports in the form of dashes. Also, if the Sub player has bad neutral he still has a slide to break it or a fast projectile-eating iceball that is only punishable when in point blank range. I also don’t think there is a single character in this game that beats both of his variations, and he takes 0 execution to hit multiple 50/50s into upper 40s a match.

5 - Sonya: her rings are basically very very slightly toned down version of deadshot’s vanilla projectile and up close she mixes you just as bad as he did in I2, but this time for 30-45%. If you have the neutral, you don’t really need much more than knowing how to do her rings and B1 mixups to be decent at high level. Zoning is easy with her and opening people up is easy with her. She also plays MKX imo.

6,7,8 in no particular order - Baraka, Kitana and Kung Lao: I think they are very easy to play but the thing that makes me put them here is a common aspect: all they need to do to apply their game on you is press up, forward and a button. It is that simple, and 90% of the cast can’t anti air them (100% in the Kitana case). According to REO’s anti air stats the highest level of players only anti-air 1 out of 5 jump ins, which means that 80% of the time you jump you’ll get a free mix. Baraka only needs 2 to kill, Kit and Lao need 3-4, but once you hit up in the D-pad the odds are in you favor.

LawAbidingCitizen

I'm actually surprised to see people say Baraka. Hella good character but I don't think he is as easy to open up characters as others are.

LawAbidingCitizen

Shang is easy to play but I don't find him easy to win with (many matchups you cannot even use hellsparks on block without being punished, so his main tool is moot).
I agree Liu is easy AF
Shang I believe is easy. He was my main on release and I used him exclusively in the TYM tournament and got him to Elder in KL.
Against most you can space the GS's so its unpunishable though some can punish it by FBing. Generally all his favorable matchups have a very rough time getting past Ground Skulls and his zoning not to mention he has good tools for everything so if they do get in he has several tools to get them out.
I only use him for specific MU's that give Kabal a rough time. Shang locks up characters he does well against.

But all my picks where based off their even to favorable MU's

I'm actually surprised to see people say Baraka. Hella good character but I don't think he is as easy to open up characters as others are.
Honestly people bring this up but I think it isn’t that bad to open people up since I played him a lot during the beta and stress test. His f4,4 is really good for pressure and footsies and he has some good staggers and a nice low starter. It’s also easy to catch people off guard with his 1,1,2. I feel that he has a lot of tools beyond opening up that make him really strong such as his jump 3, his sweep and his zoning. Not to mention his stupidly high damage. Is it a bit of a challenge to open people up? Sometimes. But when you do you’re getting crazy high damage.

LawAbidingCitizen

Honestly people bring this up but I think it isn’t that bad to open people up since I played him a lot during the beta and stress test. His f4,4 is really good for pressure and footsies and he has some good staggers and a nice low starter. It’s also easy to catch people off guard with his 1,1,2. I feel that he has a lot of tools beyond opening up that make him really strong such as his jump 3, his sweep and his zoning. Not to mention his stupidly high damage. Is it a bit of a challenge to open people up? Sometimes. But when you do you’re getting crazy high damage.
I know he is really good no doubt, he isn't lacking just limited options to open them up. When I used him I get FB for doing 112 and his plus frames push them way to far to follow up with anything worthwhile. But yeah he has great staggers off B3, S1, 11, S4. All this talk about him makes me wanna use him in a few matches. But I agree he has tools for almost everything: good zoning, staggers, mids, range and Godlike JIK, D2, Monster Damage and his Wake-up's are pretty strong. Yep I've convinced myself, I'm picking up Baraka again :D

I mean before apparently it would've been scorpion but I guess not anymore since teleport is a high? I don't know

Baraka. I love him, but he's simple to learn. Practically everything that's useful is somewhere between safe and plus on block, his BNBs are really easy to execute, he's got great footsies, KBs are pretty easy and practical, and his damage is just bananas. Really his only difficulty is it's sometimes hard to close distance.

ABACABB

End Of Humanity
a monkey could be trained to play jax at a high level. a literal monkey. or a dolphin. a baby dolphin. Jax players don't need thumbs. A cow would be decent.

/salt
Like I said . 5 min in practice and ur good to go with jax . Only "hard" part about him is his command grab input . But you dont even need to do it to win with him .

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
  1. Liu. F43 to win.
  2. Geras. Press a button, guaranteed success. He literally doesn't have any whiff issues and good luck getting out of his pressure if you aren't a top tier.
  3. Sonya. Takes a bit of skill to play at least.
  4. Scorpion. For online.
  5. Jade. She's easy to use, even if her success rate isn't as high as everyone else and forget her online against skilled Liu, Geras, Sonya, Scorpion, Cetrion or Skarlet players if you aren't actually skilled yourself.
I'd like to make a top 10 but it gets fuzzy at this point. There is some dumb shit in this game but every other character takes a brain to be successful with.