What's new

Which variation is the best? (The Dark Jester)

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
I haven't had much time to tinker in the lab. I just seen Joker released and I'm wondering what everyone thinks is Jokers best variation?

Clown Prince

V2

Mad Man

What is everyone's first impression of Joker as a whole. Is he top or mid tier?

Just from the little I've seen so far I think he seems good in all variations, V3 has the biggest combos bit V2 and V1 have decent combo potential. Naturally being a setplay enthusiast (Cyrax) I live V2

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
Enjoying V3 most because who doesn’t love boxing glove launchers? But Probably V1, that 33% unbreakable damage and low projectile is too good

Zviko

Noob
Puts them full screen though. In V2 you get 25% with set up that leaves you at 24f+ and FB on cooldown, potential 56%. Or you go with a shimmy and even if they block you still did 30% while being safe (-1 at the end) but had a potential to do way more than 33% if they fall for the shimmy. And all that without even spending a bar.

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
Puts them full screen though. In V2 you get 25% with set up that leaves you at 24f+ and FB on cooldown, potential 56%. Or you go with a shimmy and even if they block you still did 30% while being safe (-1 at the end) but had a potential to do way more than 33% if they fall for the shimmy. And all that without even spending a bar.
I agree. I have been messing about with V1 more, aside from the stronger anti-zoning that BF3, it doesn't have that big of an advantage over V2. Considering his BF1 cancel is so slow anyway, and the parry isn't too big of a deal since no KB attached to it, all that's left is BF3. However, V2 has both the setup potential and combo potential with all the combo routes that V1 has while you get far better corner damage and setups. Even the zoning problem seems minuscule when you also factor in that Joker's wave dash is pretty good as well.

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
But V1 wants to be fullscreen. He can safely set up the amp bf4 and low shot from there. Not to mention both throws leave them at fullscreen which helps V1 even more

Zviko

Noob
But V1 wants to be fullscreen. He can safely set up the amp bf4 and low shot from there. Not to mention both throws leave them at fullscreen which helps V1 even more
Apart from low shot, what's really the difference? You need to spend meter to be good at zoning anyway and V2 can do that as well. It has everything that V1 has except low shot. And I don't see why would I trade all the set up and mix up potential for that low shot.

DeftMonk

Noob
what bnbs are you doing with v2? I am doing well with it in KL but honestly something that occured to me is #1 execution is absurd (there is a high chance someone figured out more reliable stuff I just came up with my own stuff) and #2 the setups in this game don't really lead to any hard to blockables unlike inj2. If you could attack before the bomb so something like throw then ex db3 blows up was possible then it would be way more scary. As it is tho, when I hit someone with a set up now...I am just getting lucky since no one knows wtf is going on with v2 atm I think. Pro players are not gonna be scared by this stuff at all... I think atm the best thing about v2 is the zoning honestly. If you trade in a zoning war its always in your favor and people are scared to jump at me since imo his best set up tool is also an AA projectile on the way up.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
what bnbs are you doing with v2? I am doing well with it in KL but honestly something that occured to me is #1 execution is absurd (there is a high chance someone figured out more reliable stuff I just came up with my own stuff) and #2 the setups in this game don't really lead to any hard to blockables unlike inj2. If you could attack before the bomb so something like throw then ex db3 blows up was possible then it would be way more scary. As it is tho, when I hit someone with a set up now...I am just getting lucky since no one knows wtf is going on with v2 atm I think. Pro players are not gonna be scared by this stuff at all... I think atm the best thing about v2 is the zoning honestly. If you trade in a zoning war its always in your favor and people are scared to jump at me since imo his best set up tool is also an AA projectile on the way up.
I've been using V2 alot and I'm thinking it requires a bit more execution but its not as hard as certain MK9/MKX characters.
He is very easy to use in V1 and V3.

V1: low shit is nice but several zoners can outzone it. Decent damage and good tools for nearly everywhere.

V2: seems like it has the most dirt. You can launch from unmetered box and metered box. He ha several anti wakeup setups, good combos, full screen coverage, great range, good pokes and mids. I just feel it could he his best variation since it seems to have the most utility.

V3 seems decent has high damage and easy conversions with low rIsK hit confirms. I think for some matchups its a great var.

Hopefully more tech is discovered.

Sonic is using V2
There are other pros using all 3 variations?

Zviko

Noob
True, there are no hard to blockables but he still has a pretty good shimmy game, especially when he also has a FB so I'd say that's quite scary.

Regarding bnbs, I'd do 121, D1, 21, DB4amp if they have breakaway and without D1 if they don't. First option is optimal damage but not so good pressure because they are far away. You can get poked out of shimmy strings and they can even get out of the setup without meter by dashing/jumping but that is still a risky guess for them depending if you did the normal or far DB4.

Second option is probably the best because I think it covers every single wake up except forward roll and if you are not too impatient with your pressure, you can even punish that one. You are also close enough to do whatever you want, even shimmy strings. The reason you don't want to do this one if they can breakaway is because you'll get 214 instead of 21DB4 which means they can just block and you are -18. Sometimes the 4 part even goes through them which means you are even more dead.

DeftMonk

Noob
what about for instance if you start combo with low starter? I have been using b32 (orwhatever that string is) into db1(far) 21. The combos outside of 121 are the ones I think are a bit too hard.

Zviko

Noob
what about for instance if you start combo with low starter? I have been using b32 (orwhatever that string is) into db1(far) 21. The combos outside of 121 are the ones I think are a bit too hard.
I never even use that string lol. Does that combo even work? I'm only consistent with 123, DB1amp, 2, BF2. But usually, any other starter than 121 I just finish with BF2amp to build that KB. Unless I have them in the corner. Then I go for DB1amp, 121, 21, DB4amp.

DeftMonk

Noob
anystring with pushback can end with db1f as a meterless combo extender for set ups or damage. Its not easy tho.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
I never even use that string lol. Does that combo even work? I'm only consistent with 123, DB1amp, 2, BF2. But usually, any other starter than 121 I just finish with BF2amp to build that KB. Unless I have them in the corner. Then I go for DB1amp, 121, 21, DB4amp.
In the corner meterless you can do something like 21 db1 d1 123 db4b or for 1 bar i use 123 db1amp 121 f14 db4b. Midscreen meterless the one you mentioned or for setup i do 123 db1amp 2 db4

Zviko

Noob
anystring with pushback can end with db1f as a meterless combo extender for set ups or damage. Its not easy tho.
I get the DB1 part but 21? Does it work with pushback strings? I've never managed to hit it. Not even with 123 where there's no pushback.

DeftMonk

Noob
I get the DB1 part but 21? Does it work with pushback strings? I've never managed to hit it. Not even with 123 where there's no pushback.
the reason it only works with strings that have pushback is because there are like 2 extra frames of travel time before the projectile hits the target so you recover 2 frames faster. v2 kinda lacks in doing damage without setups so this is really nice. For instance you can get 280 meterless by doing b32db1f 213 not bad for meterless off of a low. I can get these combos a lot more consistently now but it takes some practice (as usual I suppose). It helps make the setups more scary if u have a threat of a 50/50 after they block them so its probably worth learning.

Zviko

Noob
the reason it only works with strings that have pushback is because there are like 2 extra frames of travel time before the projectile hits the target so you recover 2 frames faster.
But 2 doesn't reach for me on pushback strings. So extra 2f of recovery doesn't matter. Maybe I don't get the timing right.