What's new

Which MK game has the most depth?

@Check Very sorry to read this man, absolutely horrible. Sending all the positive vibes I can your way, and I truly do hope things turn around.

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
MKDA -
Good - reactionary blockstun (100% skill based based on a persons actual reaction time/real life fight mechanic). Moves are safe. Can cancel block pushback. backdash canceling, weapons to punish backdash canceling/close gaps. Every character can win. Infinite’s easily banned (takes a lot of time to do each rep). One unblockable reset nets 50% damage, which is not enough to break the game (good rule). Weapons counter reversals. Safe normals can’t be punished by reversals. Middle stances are used for footsies and ICS (double change stances when transitioning from first to weapon stance in case you mistime your ICS). Interactables make throws unblockable (free throws after combos). Sidesteps are fast but universal tracking counters it. Multiple stance combos can be blocked mid string if you aren’t aware of the games deepest mechanics. Wall splat rollouts keep you out of corners. Ground Rolls in general are very fast. Fluid animation. Sidestep block is one of best tools in the game to catch an opponent off guard.

Bad: Highs hit overhead during during stun frames. Frost 10-0’s the cast (whether infinites are legal or not). Camera shifts for player 2 during juggles causing them to drop. BRC can zone characters who don’t have projectiles (but most puke trades are blockable so it’s still winnable). Mojos and blaze struggle vs reversal characters a bit. It have safe moves to compensate.

MKD: Good - Hit Recovery (the deepest mechanic ever seen in a mk game) which works both offensive and defensively and can even sometimes trigger faster backdash cancels (but rare and random). Hit recovery gets out of most infinites in the game. Backdash cancel still present but heavily neefed compared to MKDA. I everyone besides the top 4 can win (dairou, brc, Kobra, shujinko. GameCube version is even more balanced and is the definitive tournament version of the game for sure, however it changes combo properties for some characters such as sub zero. Community rules balance the entire game (one throw one otg in a combo).

Bad - lots of unsafe moves. Constantly forced to use hit recovery (which leaves you open to overheads unless you tap up at last second). Characters with throws that juggle or have 80-100% otg free throw combos (hotaru/havik/Tanya/raiden/darrius/ashrah/kabal/jade/mileena/nightwolf) still create a huge problem of balance compared to rest of cast, but are still 6-4 or beatable. Player 1 and player 2 differences are huge in this game. Player 2 has faster whiff recovery and camera juggles lower to ground giving them faster juggle opportunities some of which lead to a legal infinite (shujinko), every player 1 character shares the same hurtbox, which makes combining much easier for player 2. Kenshi gains 2 2 2223 2223 bf3 vs any character. Jades otg combos are much less damage as player 2 because of the otg issue. Don’t have to worry about female hurtboxes etc. Player 1 recovers faster defensively, which makes otgs nearly impossible for player 2 vs player 1. Player 2 also does not have wall bounce otgs, which are useful unblockable combo extenders. Player 1 has certain legal infinites such as sindels fu jow pai infinite, much easier otgs, hit priority over player 2, faster off the ground recovery, but overall slower movement everywhere else. Kenshi loses overall damage as player 1 but still has decent damage.

MKA:
Good - Parry Cancels are the 2nd deepest mechanic ever seen in a mk game. They require the highest level of execution ever seen in a mk game before, mimic attack cancels and can be used as a guard all option if you know the deepest knowledge of the game. Parry cancels help close gaps even better and can be done to make players flinch since they mimic attack startups. There are also legal infinites with them such as sindels or just generally very high damaging execution combos like ermac, sub zero, scorpion, sektor, chameleon just to name a few. Every character shares the same tools to get damage (air cancels) and characters don’t have air cancels have free throws instead. So allowing infinites isn’t really needed. The GameCube version removes some of the free throw infinites which make that version of the game more unbalanced unfortunately where infinites may be needed to be allowed for that version for that reason alone. But otherwise, every character has the same tools to get damage in the ps2 version due to all sharing the same tools. The only plus on GameCube version is the meat infinite is removed if I remember correctly, but that’s easily bannable regardless (one throw per combo from mkd).

Bad - Player 2 has more legal infinites (333 in corner for characters who don’t have air cancels, even though shujinko is an exception). Costumes create different combo properties, making some combos impossible depending on your costume choice. Combos in general are much easier for player 2, however player is still can’t do wall bounce otgs (not a huge deal in this game). All the player 1 player 2 differences from MKD remain the same here (offensive and defensive recovery/movement).
MKA has virtually no backdash canceling, making movement very stagnant and normals very punishable. Everything is “played where you stand” which has been for norm for every mk game ever since all the way through MK11.
Certain characters Stan axes such as Fan Zi, Chou Lay Fut, Ba Shan fan, front foot sticks forward far enough causing an opponents normals to whiff or just lose priority in general (an issue in MK11 as well). Some characters air cancels require too much execution such as sektor cyrax, taven, Kai, jade, nitara, sonya, sindel, making much harder for them to compete (a crt is needed for this issue).
A crt is needed in general for air cancel combos because there is a slowdown bug which causes a combo to end after 112 in the air. This slowdown bug is very rare on CRTs but happens very often on flatscreen monitors since the game runs slower in general on these. Really destroys the game to the point where you almost have no choice but to allow almost every infinite just to compensate for this bug on flatscreens. I’ve yet to try time game on higher hz monitors which I’m told might fix the issue.

MKDC:
Good - every character shares the same tools at the highest level (rage) so the entire game is one of the most balanced mk games to date. Rage counters rage, so no need to worry about flash gl kahn etc. just save your meter. Rage also knocks down leading to very easy counter rage exploit combos. Rage very heavily counters green lanterns breaker combo and nets 90% damage at least where as green lantern only nets 20% and in most cases can be avoided since the meta of the game is d1 and up2. Both of which can’t be breaker combod. Easily one of the most balanced mk games to date thanks to meter management/rage. Community rules helped balanced the game as well, but there are a few legal infinites such as lex Luthors, darkseids, baraka/Sonya and joker

Bad: Female hurtboxes destroy the meta of the game since up2 whiffs up close vs them as well as much else. The only counter to this is to use females vs females. Shao Kahn’s up2 also has incredible range which helps shift the meta quite a bit, and his breaker combos aren’t avoided like green lanterns are (You can also rage as soon as you hit the ground from green lanterns lift). Jokers infinite would be the only broken legal infinite but it’s doubtful that 99.9% of people would be able to do it from both sides. It’s fairly easy from left side, but that’s not enough to break him entirely considering he’s pretty low. Liu Kang is the best character in the game with relative ease and his up2 is one of the best in the game. I’ll add the tier list for this game at another time. But it’s basically Liu, Flash, Kahn, Captain Marvel, Kano, the females, Joker (assuming you can do the infinite from both sides),Deathstroke, Baraka, Scorpion. Then everyone else is pretty much the same tier. Green lantern would be higher but his rage setup (which nets 90% damage instead of 20 from breaker) is extremely difficult to setup and is mostly a player 2 only setup)

MK9:
Good - universal mobility, jump arcs, jump attacks, reactionary blockstun for pokes besides d4. Noob saibot (the very middle of the tier list) and everyone below him is one of the most balanced mk games to date. Miniducks (known as microcrouching/micro ducking to most of you) are much easier now compared to the 3D mk games which required down+block to duck. Mid block mechanic which fluid blocking and added a fail safe to ensure you blocked on right direction even if it showed you blocking in opposite direction. Great trasitionsl blocking system I’m general ( the majority of your weight either 50% past or below diag)

Bad - Top half of the tier list is unbalanced. Nerfing one makes next too broke. Requires lots of counter picking. Lots of set play, low profiling after knockdowns into safe jumps, etc. Armor was too overpowered. Had to counter pick moves like kabal f4 with certain characters d3s who were much lower tier (with exception of smoke and maybe Shang). Input bug which didn’t register you blocking past the mid block line (no, not the one that ketchup and mustard found the answer to). Blockstun In general was very wack in this game and the risk/reward was awful (risk eating 30%, rewarded with 2% poke).

I’d like to do MKX and MKA but sadly I must go now. I did the best I could to remember what I could about mortal kombat. People hear need to know I’m very sick and have been struggling with a systemic bacterial infection since late June which my body can’t get rid of and just continues to get worse. I’ve been clyndamician, doxycycline, bactrim, Keflex. And can’t really risk any more antibiotics due to c diff, which I’m currently getting tested for. I’ve developed hyperacusis as a result of the nerve pain from one of the abscesses on my chest which has traveled throughout my body. I haven’t played video games since June and probably will never be able to. I doubt have much longer to live. Currently I am on antidepressants and anti anxiety medications to help fight the nerve pain. The doxycycline has also caused intense cranial pressure and I’m sure helped contribute to my hyperacusis. I’ve been to the Er 7 times and urgent care 5 times at least. Will be asking for help to help with hospital bills soon. I haven’t released this information to anyone within the community. I’ll report back in a month if I’m still alive. It started with a carbuncle on my buttocks, then a 2nd Abcess formed directly on top of liver, the infection has spread to stomach, chest, collar bones, shoulders, both sides of neck, upper gums/sinuses/back of neck/cerebellum, and of course both ears as mentioned (hyperacusis).

I wish you all the very best. It’s mostly likely my time, and it’s been a pleasure being a part of it.
To further explain the hyperacusis, sound doesn’t just cause pain in my ears, it causes pain in my neck, back of neck, forehead, chest, shoulders. I’ve even had my whole right arm go numb and be in pain at same time while numb. The pain mostly starts in the ears then moves down to the neck, shoulders right arm then chest. I become unresponsive and can’t speak, in a great deal of pain. This all happened as a result of squeezing the Abcess on my chest which forced the infection deeper in my body. I’ve had the Abcess on my chest since august. The anti anxiety/anti depressant meds aren’t helping much with the nerve pain and had a shot of toradol at urgent care a few days ago. Can only hope it goes away in a few months, but have also read it might be caused by the doxycycline, who could take 8 months to clear from inner ear. Don’t think it is though and think it’s from squeezing the Abcess. Applying mupirocin or peroxide instantly brought on the pain in my ears.
Sorry for bringing this into your thread. I appreciate all who read this and will be praying for me. I hope one day to see you all again. Thanks again for everything. Feel free to let people know. I won’t really be around to see it, but will try to make an announcement soon. Just felt like sharing it here with all of you first.
Needless to say, I’ve had to cancel my story mode project with vman for mk11 and any videos I had planned. I’ll try to release what I had done saved over the past 5 years that I never released, including the free replay glitch for killer instinct 2 that I used to use on the arcade days, which is a pretty big revelation after nearly 30 years that I have teased since the umk.com days.

farewell everyone. Feel free to do whatever you want to my post. Take care everyone.

Love, Jason

again, no one knows about my health. This is my first time making it public
This breaks my heart to read what you are going through. You are an amazing player and person and I will always be grateful for the content that you produced for the community. I'm hopeful that you will come out on top and feel like your old self again. Please take care, man.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
@Check - I obviously don't know you personally but I can't explain the joy I've had watching your combo videos over the years. Absolutely fucking untouchable and always blew my mind. Just incredible.

As much as it means from a complete stranger, I wish you all the best and hope things turn around for you. Absolute legend in the FGC.

Thanks to everyone. Sadly today will be my final day. New infection, so now 2 of them. The Keflex side effects mixed with my anti anxiety medication and almost gave me a stroke/seizure/shock/septic reaction. It’s gotten worse past 2 days and I won’t survive the next one. Had no idea about the side effects of Keflex, as I took it in July with no problems. Extreme anxiety apparently is the worst side effect of it. The body pains, pains in back (kidney), under left and right rib (pancreas and liver), waistline (I think this is the new infection), above belly button, pain over chest Abcess and above it. Can’t eat. Can’t even take probiotic without being in severe pain.

Just wanted to wish you all farewell. If I somehow get out of this today, I will most definitely let you know. If I don’t post later, then today was indeed my last day on this earth.

Farewell. My only hope is that it’s been 2.4 days since taking the last Keflex, and it’s supposed to take 3 days to be out of system. Problem is I have a compromised immune system, so it likely won’t matter.

Thank you all once again for all the years of love and support. I hope to be able to update you later today. Will head to hospital in a few hours.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Thanks to everyone. Sadly today will be my final day. New infection, so now 2 of them. The Keflex side effects mixed with my anti anxiety medication and almost gave me a stroke/seizure/shock/septic reaction. It’s gotten worse past 2 days and I won’t survive the next one. Had no idea about the side effects of Keflex, as I took it in July with no problems. Extreme anxiety apparently is the worst side effect of it. The body pains, pains in back (kidney), under left and right rib (pancreas and liver), waistline (I think this is the new infection), above belly button, pain over chest Abcess and above it. Can’t eat. Can’t even take probiotic without being in severe pain.

Just wanted to wish you all farewell. If I somehow get out of this today, I will most definitely let you know. If I don’t post later, then today was indeed my last day on this earth.

Farewell. My only hope is that it’s been 2.4 days since taking the last Keflex, and it’s supposed to take 3 days to be out of system. Problem is I have a compromised immune system, so it likely won’t matter.

Thank you all once again for all the years of love and support. I hope to be able to update you later today. Will head to hospital in a few hours.
Best of luck.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes

Godspeed champ, keep on fighting

Last edited:

Best wishes, Check.

MK2D

Have you had your MK today?
As flat as the kombo system is in MK11, I think overall it's a much deeper game than people give it credit for. Sure, your average KL match is going to be some sweaty nonsense, but if you watch high-level sets, like in Mr Aquaman's Kolluseum or R1p's Arena, you can really see how much depth is present.
Or something like this -

@Check I hope you can kontinue fighting the good fight through all of your troubles and the outlook turns around better somehow.

Last edited: