What's new

Question Which Is Your Favorite NRS Game And Why?

Which is your favorite NRS game and why?

• Total voters

Wam-Zlay

Reptile / Noob
MK9 > Injustice 2 = MKX > Injustice

Mk9 cast was way better than mkx cast. mkx has only like 2-3 Chars i really like, while mk9 has like 5-6. Also i enjoyed playing online tag team with mates of mine :D

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
Oh boy I'm gonna piss someone off but here wet go. Inj2 > inj1> mkx > mk9. As someone who played mk9 after playing injustice and wasn't around during the game mk9 feels almost unplayable to me. Mkx feels smooth and fun to play I just hate how rushdown oriented it was. Injustice 1 was my first fighter so I might be a little biased but I love the slower pace of the game and it has raven so that's awsome. Injustice 2 is everything I loved about injustice 1 but better with great balance.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
1. Injustice 2- Easily the most balanced NRS game to date. A lot of varieties in playstyles makes the game really fun to play and watch. I also think the added mechanics of roll and air escape give the game a lot more depth. There are some things I don't quite like (*cough* interactables *cough*) but thats minor in the grand scheme of things. Also movement is great in INJ2.

2. MK9- It had bugs, balance issues, meter drain glitch, etc. Still, it was fun and also had a wide variety of playstyles. The movement feels kind of clunky looking back but at the time it was cool. Plus it had Baraka.

3. IGAU- Movement in this game was so clunky. A few characters like Raven were ok but the rest were really annoying to play. There were some balance issues in this one too but I also didn't find it as fun as MK9.

4. MKX- Only NRS game I quit playing halfway through it's lifespan. I really grew tired of it and ended up not lioking it at all.

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
1. Injustice 2- Honestly, I feel like this progression has been great. The top tier has really great tools, but it doesn't feel half as oppressive as Injustice 1 Aquaman, Martian Manhunter etc. Their balance is great right now and I hope they remain vigilant and keep the DLC in check because we're in a good place at the moment.

The gear system was a great idea, I love it so much more than any alternate costumes. Being able to customize so many little details is awesome. Online is pretty solid, I can play people from Europe decently among others. The character diversity is great. I can play a rushdown maniac character like Cheetah, be successful AND have fun while also playing a spacing/zoning character like Blue Beetle or Dr. Fate and have similar results. It's the type of diversity a game needs to keep you coming back.

Aside from a few outlying characters, things are coming along swimmingly and it's still early so I would not be surprised if some of the other "not worth playing" characters get their much needed exposure. Atai, Revet, Sonic Fox etc are making it work with characters people wrote off so it's gonna be exciting to see more.

2. Injustice 1- Super diverse roster. You were hard pressed to find really anyone on the roster that played like someone else. Whether you played Grundy, Hawkgirl, Raven, Doomsday, Flash, Sinestro or Batgirl there was something for everyone from the rushdown fiends, to the zoners, counter zoners, set play, footsies etc.

The only real drawbacks were how over the top quite a few interactables were especially with OTG properties leading to insane damage off of pretty straight forward set ups. The walk speed could have been better. This was one of the first NRS titles to have a roster where you didn't have to play top or upper mid to have a good match up against a top character and strong utility characters came through in several majors.

3. MK9- If there weren't so many bugs, glitches and balance problems, I would have given this number two spot. It was a very fun, addicting game with enough of a nostalgia trip to satisfy anyone with classic stages and characters EVERYONE wanted on top of a nice retelling of the Trilogy series. The movement was great, the aesthetics, music. If the game had been more solid competitively it would have been perfect on all cylinders.

4. MKX- The variation system felt like it was more of a distraction from making focused, complete characters which I felt held it back in addition to the homogeneous feel of the roster. Defense was punished too hard and the run mechanic made traditional spacing very hard to do. It is the only NRS title that I stopped playing regularly around a year before the next game dropped.

Injustice 2 is easily the best. No comparison.
inj2 is superior to mk9, of course.
but is it your favorite nrs game?

imo mk9 was more fun to watch and way more hype.
seeing badams, supes, aqumans in inj2 isnt so amazing or hype to me.
i just watched esl eu online and the players still counterpick with badam a lot lol.

i miss the drama as well, do you remember the 4 vs 4 (uk against usa) at evo 2012? haha that was hype as fuck (although all the usa team used kabal LMFAOO)
BTW cant find that event on yt, would rewatch, as well gga vs uk were dizzy ocv,d them. :O

oh mann, so much storys :D

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
MKX>MK9>INJ2

I don't know how was it at the very first INJ, so I'll exclude it from the roster of fancies.

MKX was the best, because it had amazing graphic details, and was very smooth. The problem is that the variations were a pain in the ass to know lotcha of MUs and which char was stronger against which.

If MK9 hadn't the matchmaking problem, I would spend my time training and learning this. When I tried it it had a lot of matchmaking problems, which made it kind of unplayable in online element. Had it not having those online problems, I would try returning sooner at the fighting games, and ultimately trying myself in the competition mode. I used to play it always offline and played all the chars, even Kabal and Stryker. It had a good GGPO system, but if you merge it with MKX, it would be a greater one.

I like how the chars were created in INJ2, and especially Sub Zero. This is how I want the chars. To have all their powers, including the gear powers without the gear mode on. Its only problem is its unbalance. It became much worse than the MK games.

The ultimate reason above of everything I wrote so far is one: Sub Zero!

I can only compare MKX and injustice 2, never played mk9 or injustice 1. I like mkx much more than injustice 2. Yea it was frustrating in mkx with all those 50/50's (plus in many cases) and the balance was bad. Last patch made it better though at least. But injustice 2 never got the feeling for. Everyone says it's more balanced so I'll believe you guys but the rest I'll give mkx the points. Injustice feels slow,clunky, and when people talk about "zoning" in this game I call it spamming, the projectiles here feel like you're playing a shooter sometimes. And even to watch mkx was miles funner than injustice 2. Yea it was rushdown heavy (which I never agreed with, or the ridiculous 50/50's) but at least it felt like a pure fighting game, injustice 2 for some reason feels like it's missing something, don't know what it is but it's missing an aspect of a true fighter that I did not like. Of course this is just my opinion.

hey guys,

for me its obviously MK9, gameplay wise IMO still the best NRS game so far!
why? i prefer the dash cancel system over the run mechanic. also less 50/50s and better footsies, aa,s and a lot more lol
imagine MK9 with INJ2 balance o_o

mk9>inj2>mkx>igau

so whats your opinion?
This actually sums it, and since online was pretty much a whole different game where you could just throw framedata into the toilet, I liked to go to the offline meetings, and get to know the community in my country, this was by far the game I enjoyed the most. I will allways say, NRS could have made a Ps4 version of this game with a last balance patch, and online fixes and booom another 3 years of evo and money for them.

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword
Rose tinted nostalgia goggles aside, NRS games have progressively been getting better.

So INJ2 > MKX > INJ > MK9
I have no idea why every time someone mention MK9 being the best, you guys have to keep being insecure and bringing up "Rose tinted googles." A new NRS game is better than a game 6 years ago. No shit lol. You think that's what make a new game better?

You think in a car forum, someone asked what your favorite version of the Mustang? You think they are going to tell a fan of the 67' Mustang "You have rose tinted glasses, the Mustangs today and after are better?"

Never played MK9 so I'll not include it but for me my order:

1. INJ2: Very balanced, wide variety of character archetypes, movement feels great, amazing netcode. Basically took all the good from injustice 1 and added more good things.
2. INJ1: Wide variety of archetypes, has my two favorite fighting game characters Zod and Sinestro. Top tier was too oppressive and extremely unfun to play against, online was pretty laggy.
3. MKX: Had some pretty cool characters, but had too much of an emphasis on rushdown for me. Plus frames into plus frames into 50/50s ect.

Last edited:

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
I think IGAU and I2 are more solid in their general style than MK9 and MKX, which I find have fatal gameplay flaws that keep them from being very good games.Both MK9 and MKX decided to hedge their defensive options around armor, and it failed in both games for different reasons.

MK9 barely worked, so of course trying to armor out of pressure often results in a terrible glitch and you lose something but gain nothing. In addition, character's fastest pokes were either full combo punishable on block or offered very, very meager hit advantage (Poor Scorpion's was negative!) for the risk of poking out of pressure. This made any pressure sequence, simple though it may be, nigh uncounterable with a lot of characters (Kabal vs. almost the whole cast, Johnny vs. a large majority of the cast, Sonya vs most of the cast, Shang vs. a lot of the cast, Jax vs. characters with high hitboxes, etc.). Unless you could push those characters away very easily (which a lot of the best characters could, considering they either had really good armor!) then it was hell trying to make it work. The risk/reward was horribly skewed, and the low tiers of that game feel like the worst characters you could ever play.

MKX at least works very well, but the problem is now that armor is exposed for the pretty weak defensive option that it is on knockdown. During pressure it worked fine because it did not have the flaws MK9 did, but on a knockdown most characters were essentially helpless. Between characters having the ability to run up for pressure, which lessened the effectiveness of generic tech rolling, and having only one timing in which an armor move could be used as a wakeup, a lot of top characters were free to run in and do quick strings that often broke armor before it could come out or they had a very long string that could cover the timings of both normal and delayed getup. A character like D'vorah, strong as she was, was almost helpless against a character like Kotal Kahn, who could do b122 on her knockdown and beat her backdash, armor, and delayed timing. This helped to homogenize the gameplay, as many others have pointed out, because as strong as armor was for fighting against things like traditional projectile zoning and defensive poking, it was just as bad for defense.

IGAU and I2 choosing to have invulnerability in addition to some armored moves makes for a greater dearth of defensive options, IMO, because it forces the attacker to consider it because no move they have can blow through it. Obviously in IGAU the risk reward of many of the wakeups were very skewed, but that was a balance issue that is largely removed in the sequel. Having these stronger defensive options opens up more avenues of play, which makes for a better game IMO, because variety, not balance, is the spice of life.

LaidbackOne

Scrubby nice guy
MKX>MK9>INJ2

I don't know how was it at the very first INJ, so I'll exclude it from the roster of fancies.

MKX was the best, because it had amazing graphic details, and was very smooth. The problem is that the variations were a pain in the ass to know lotcha of MUs and which char was stronger against which.

If MK9 hadn't the matchmaking problem, I would spend my time training and learning this. When I tried it it had a lot of matchmaking problems, which made it kind of unplayable in online element. Had it not having those online problems, I would try returning sooner at the fighting games, and ultimately trying myself in the competition mode. I used to play it always offline and played all the chars, even Kabal and Stryker. It had a good GGPO system, but if you merge it with MKX, it would be a greater one.

I like how the chars were created in INJ2, and especially Sub Zero. This is how I want the chars. To have all their powers, including the gear powers without the gear mode on. Its only problem is its unbalance. It became much worse than the MK games.

The ultimate reason above of everything I wrote so far is one: Sub Zero!
Opinions are opinions but I2 is way more balanced than MKX ever was

Last edited:

JDE

Pick up & kill it & kill it & kill it!
My personal favorites are Injustice 2 & MK9.

1. I2 is by far the most balanced game that they've made up to this point. I've enjoyed this game a lot more than any other game up to this point. It feels like everyone has a chance & you have to develop an actual neutral in this game. Plus there's a lot of creativity. I'm a big DC fan too. So there's the discussion of lore for me too.

2. MK9 I'm more of an MK fan when it comes to actual fighting games. Even though the game felt so lopsided, I had tons of fun. Lots of learning experiences in this game. The game to me was mechanically solid even though I wish it was more balanced. The fan favorites were in the game, too. Plus, I was completely new to the community in general.

For MKX, I have fun playing it, but I'm not going to lie. I disliked the variation system. As much as it allowed me to play the way that I wanted with whoever I used, I felt like the game was very unbalanced. This is in part the community's fault for some of the complaints in part. The game is very rushdown & 50/50 heavy. Technically felt like I had to switch my character to only 1 or 2 variations instead of all 3 of them.

I got bored with Injustice within the 1st few months & didn't stay on it long at all. Wished I would've come back when Batgirl was released & gave her a chance though :(.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
I have no idea why every time someone mention MK9 being the best, you guys have to keep being insecure and bringing up "Rose tinted googles." A new NRS game is better than a game 6 years ago. No shit lol. You think that's what make a new game better?

You think in a car forum, someone asked what your favorite version of the Mustang? You think they are going to tell a fan of the 67' Mustang "You have rose tinted glasses, the Mustangs today and after are better?"
You aren't making a whole lotta sense right now. You need me to call someone?

Mkx. I love mobility so I guess that's why. Plus I don't think people realize how big of a risk nrs took by adding new faces and it went very well in my opinion.

This question also seems to set character loyalists and top tier competitors apart because the balance between these games change drastically.