What's new

Question - Buzz Saw Which is more important in special move staggers recovery or cancel frames?

I am trying to see which strings are best to setup a surprise teleport instead of a low buzz saw with Kung Lao but I dont know what I should be looking for to guarantee that its not reactable.
Should I be looking for a string with fast recovery, slow recovery, high cancel frames or low cancel frames. Should I be looking at how negative it is on block and what about active frames?
Help!

Kenshi-Keanu-Kool

D1 mashing is the tactic when skill fails !
I am trying to see which strings are best to setup a surprise teleport instead of a low buzz saw with Kung Lao but I dont know what I should be looking for to guarantee that its not reactable.
Should I be looking for a string with fast recovery, slow recovery, high cancel frames or low cancel frames. Should I be looking at how negative it is on block and what about active frames?
Help!
I THINK YOU SHOULD talk with Lawrence Krauss bro .

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
Help!
Look at the cancel data on Bo's F1 in Dragon's Breath/Drunken Master and I believe you'll find your answer.

Carl

Noob
Im a buzzsaw main and ill do things like b22 - ex tele 2 or f2 - ex tele 2 you can do many things with ex tele and be creative.

F3 into ex tele 3
B32 into ex tele 1
Up to you how u cancel it as u can be random.
My favourite is d4 - ex tele 1 into 40%.

Each to there own.

GOOD DRAGON

Awesometacular
Help!
I think you should be concentrating on fast recovery and cancel advantage for the most part. But iv seen some kung lau's just jump 2 and jump 4 into tele

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
The complete answer is you need usable moves with each of them, but if you can only have one - its cancel data with opportunities and recovery frames without them. BTW - Change slow recovery with active frames or fast start-up. Why would you want moves with slow recovery? In any event, hitboxes and hurtboxes trump them all in terms of importance.

Last edited:

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
I was talking both. Believe it or not some people can react to the ex tele on some strings and making regular tele semi un reactable would be nice
well if were talking staggering, i'd do b1 into ex teleport, b1 is a 7 frame high with really fast recovery, as well as a follow up with 22+4, so if your gonna stagger use that. as for regular teleport....maybe doing it from s4, since most people will backdash or armor the follow up, could always go for s4~lowhat too.

Wigy

There it is...
All i can say is moves that arent neg and have a pause before the special comes out are great for staggers.

Mixups like random teles are not one of those things that should be unreactable though.
Why not? It costs two bars and 1 if it doesn't work. If the opponent guesses right full combo punish. The only other mixeup is a low buzz saw so it's not like you have to respect much to begin with

Last edited:
EDIT: just ignore till next EDIT
ok I think I understand it now anyone correct me if I am wrong. To determine which is the most suitable string you would have to add the active frames with the recovery frames and then subtract the answer by the number of cancel frames. If what I understand is correct then the answer of that should be however many frames of reaction the opponent has.

For example bo's f1:

41 active frames + 16 recovery =57 frames - 50 cancel frames= 7 frames of reaction.

Now for kung laos teleport the move does not jail so the answer has to be added with an additional 23 frames.

So if my math is correct that means off of a kung lao b3 you would have to react in 19 frames...That sounds really bad.

But if the opponent is expecting a low buzzsaw then it would only be 1 frame!

Please tell me whether or not I am understanding this right and how would I determine how fast the next part of a string comes out? Also approximately how fast do you guys think someone can react to something online.

EDIT: I have determined that I was wrong simply put. Your always going to have the 6 frame difference between the low hat and the tele 1 2 or 3.

The frames of reaction that I found were actually more useful for a stagger between ending the string with a special or not, it only really affects whether or not the special comes out later or earlier after the string. (I found the variable wrong too it should be Cancel Frames - (Start up Frames) = frames the special comes out after active frames (Answer). Then take the (Recovery Frames + String Block ADV) - (Answer + Special Frames) = Stagger window.)

I suppose I also found my answer to the original question I asked
Recovery Frames, the Strings Block ADV (only matters for tele since it cant jail) and the answer to Cancel Frames - the (Start up Frames) are the only things that matter in trying to find a safer special cancel from a string for the tele. A lower answer to the equation means the faster the special will come out after the string and the recovery frames mean how safe it is.

Last edited: