What's new

Which is her better tournament variation?

Gonna start practicing skarlet. Whats her better variation in your opinion? If both variations are good, what are the differences in each?

I dont have lots of time to play, figure it be easier if i asked here.

Side note: is she better than kung lao? Lol

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
Actually trying to figure which one is the best but both are pretty good. At first I started with Blood Drive because I LOOOOVED her Cell Cyphon from the beta but apparently they nerfed it by her getting less life back. But its good to purely control space to zone out your opponent.

THEN her Heart Pierce is good too because it has a teleport and parry to get you out of pressure situations.

Depends on what type of style you're looking for with her but both are pretty good.

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
I have more success with Blood Drive, but both are good. I think it's match-up/play-style dependent.

I think CS went from being a bit overrated to a bit underrated. Yes, it's not as good as it was in the beta (only plus 4, less health back), but it still leaves you at advantage and sets up things like d1 throw, d1 124, etc. Also, it's still her most damaging combo ender of the moves available among her two competitive variations. Also, amplified blood ball is awesome.

Heart pierce is good because the teleport compliments the rest of her tools so well. I think the parry is a tad bit overrated because of the fact that anyone who plays the heart pierce match-up a lot is going to predominantly attack her with lows, but it's still a really nice defensive tool that rewards you handsomely for successfully using it.

YoungTeezy 305

Work Hard Play Hard
Heart Pierce is better. For me it's all about the Bloodport. Excellent fo escaping the corner and it can be used to counter many zoning options. I also use it to apply pressure.

The only thing better about Blood Drive is the restand. I'll always take tele over restand in MK11 where mobility is limited.

Skarlet is better than Lao. I co-main both.

Thx guys, i will probably try both see which style i prefer.

Kung lao doesnt have a lot of options when people block low all day. One time i literally hit a guy with throw like 10 times in a match.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Both variations are equally good, and both installed moves compliments the purpose of each playstyle.
The Parry and teleport keep aggressive players in check.
Blood Ball control and Siphon gives an amazing Space control which allows Skarlet to setup mid-low mixups from ranged distances, free jump ins, safe overhead setups but struggles a lot up close relying only on universal defensive options.

Overall Skarlet its a true footsie Character, best walkspeed in the game, which compliments her spacing, good restand options, solid anti-airs, meterless combos even if her overall damage isn't that great but adds up if you consider the time she can keep someone out for a longer time chipping them, basically its around 300+ with a good combo into blocked tentacle.
II think the parry is a tad bit overrated because of the fact that anyone who plays the heart pierce match-up a lot is going to predominantly attack her with lows, but it's still a really nice defensive tool that rewards you handsomely for successfully using it.
Attacking Low its not the parry's issue Skarlet has a B2 with halfscreen range, a short hop with a good and fast overhead, a halfscreen overhead, a mid special move that spawns at any range, and she can cancel the parry at any point to condition players to attack low or jump.
My only issue with the parry its that for a parry its kinda slow, and for many reasons why i can't use it on reads because she can't put between certain gaps whiffing without perfect window its kinda lame, but if the parry was 2 frames faster on startup it would be an excellent move.

I honestly feel she is among the characters with the least weakness in the game, her playstyle is very simple, and if you play your strengths well Skarlet can destroy any character with every single right read.

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
Both variations are equally good, and both installed moves compliments the purpose of each playstyle.
The Parry and teleport keep aggressive players in check.
Blood Ball control and Siphon gives an amazing Space control which allows Skarlet to setup mid-low mixups from ranged distances, free jump ins, safe overhead setups but struggles a lot up close relying only on universal defensive options.

Overall Skarlet its a true footsie Character, best walkspeed in the game, which compliments her spacing, good restand options, solid anti-airs, meterless combos even if her overall damage isn't that great but adds up if you consider the time she can keep someone out for a longer time chipping them, basically its around 300+ with a good combo into blocked tentacle.

Attacking Low its not the parry's issue Skarlet has a B2 with halfscreen range, a short hop with a good and fast overhead, a halfscreen overhead, a mid special move that spawns at any range, and she can cancel the parry at any point to condition players to attack low or jump.
My only issue with the parry its that for a parry its kinda slow, and for many reasons why i can't use it on reads because she can't put between certain gaps whiffing without perfect window its kinda lame, but if the parry was 2 frames faster on startup it would be an excellent move.

I honestly feel she is among the characters with the least weakness in the game, her playstyle is very simple, and if you play your strengths well Skarlet can destroy any character with every single right read.
Yeah, I think I just suck at using parries

What do you guys do when your getting rushdown? Her low pokes arent the best and im finding it hard to stop the pressure. Is there any strings i should be using up close to create space?

Questions

Does heart Pierce get the low projectile?
And can that projectile low profile and punish Sonya rings and similar skills or is it too slow.

How is her match up vs Sonya and Cassie as heart pierce.

Jowabunga

Woooooooooooooo!
What do you guys do when your getting rushdown? Her low pokes arent the best and im finding it hard to stop the pressure. Is there any strings i should be using up close to create space?
I have less trouble breaking pressure than I do figuring how to apply pressure after a successful downpoke. My usual opponent (who primarily plays Noob) mashes downpokes after getting poked so what I end up doing is essentially d1'ing repeatedly until he stops trying to downpoke back. Once the downpoke parade stops I try to continue pressure with F43 but at 13 frames it's kinda meh.

I've been trying to break myself of using her D3 at all because it's generally awful. I also main Shao Kahn and have gotten into the habit of using D3 as the initial poke for speed followed by D4 for the pushback to get them to midscreen. Skarlet's D3 numbers are just so bad and her downpokes in general don't have the same pushback, i.e., it's a bad habit.

In other words, when it comes to breaking pressure, either ride your D1 or block/tech throws patiently and wait for your turn is about all I can add.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Skarlet struggles a bit up close, its supposed to be her weakness, there is if you main heart pierce there is 2 things you can do which leads to different things depending on what they do to counter. If you play blood drive is harder.

D1 its your best poke since its +8 on hit, if that move hits, there is a 1f link where you can connect 1, 2 string, if that's the case and they keep mashing on hit, otherwise, step back slightly and b1, 2, you will certainly whiff punish a whiffed move into a KB, or you can use something faster with b3~db4 which it an amazing whiff punishing tool that puts them back to fullscreen (sonic fox's words).

If you play heart pierce, same strategy works, but Heart Pierce cannot be easily counter poked, specially with D1, if you do D1~Dagger Dance even on block it cannot be pocked back due the parry so they will have to resort to lows, or jumps which are usually slower, when you start to get a read on these situations you can start d1 into jumps, hops, and bait out lows with different counters or better mids.

Edmund

Kitana & Skarlet
I haven't dived deep into the use of Blood Drive, is amplifying blood ball really that good?