What's new

Which comic character has the best rogues gallery?

DuskAlloy

You don't got the cash, You don't get the ass
So is someone going to post the Best/Worst cities in comics thread or am I going to do it because I can see amazing potential in that thread and im antsy?

Reedoms

Noob
what about midway city? going by vague information, their hero doesn't care shit for it (the ed boon incident)
Nah man, Hub City is a shithole of the highest calibre. Everyone is corrupt and the government doesn't even bother to help. It's a dead zone.

*edit* here's what I mean.

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
Yes it is, but I wanna know WHY people like them, why people believe Batman's gallery is one of, if not THE best, and why I disagree with it.
The off topic popularity train wreck we were involved in earlier aside.. I WILL give you my opinion on Batmans rogue gallery..
It all comes down to options, and depth really..

Bar none his number one (and possibly the greatest) nemesis is the Joker.
Not much is known about him, writers and other media have used liberties and speculated, but the majority decides to not flesh out his background. With no backstory given, he was Batmans first true villain in the Batman comic series and the chemistry flourished from there. Yin needs Yang..

You have your typical sexual tension character who is kind of rogue/anti-hero who tends to do what best suits her.. But always has Batman in the back of her mind in Catwoman

Many of his villains have some type of tie in to his Bruce Wayne side, or have some type of "good guy gone wrong" story line:
Rogues that follow this:
-Two-Face
-Scarecrow
-Poison Ivy
-Hush
-Black Mask
-Harley Quinn
These characters are an outstanding example of (while arguably not his best or well known rogues) a good supporting pool of villains that the writers can use and utilize as they see fit.

You have the "hard luck" sympathy villains that are bad for some purpose or reason
-Mr. Freeze
-Clayface
These characters are used to evoke emotion from the reader (I kind of know "why" they are doing what they are doing, but its still wrong).

You have your physical brute element that is not afraid to throw down and get physical-
-Bane
-Killer Croc
Good characters to add a physical danger and element to the hero

You have your psychological element that can't compete physically but use wit and/or others to do the job-
-The Riddler
-Professor Hugo Strange
These characters tap into and bring out Batman's mental prowess.

Then you have the criminal element (the Gotham gangsters and criminal underworld) and assassins-
- The Penguin
-Deadshot

Many of these names have recognition due to the fact that they have been around since the (50's-60's) they have not faded away and that is staying power. Given the fact that writers can rely on a deep pool and not just a one trick pony by forming alliances, double/triple teams, and combining elements (physical/wit/AND psychotic) all in interwoven plots..and then the tension and issues within those alliances amongst the rogues themselves!

You bring in elements such as the BlackGate and possibly the most known and most well done housing facility in comics in Arkham Asylum and I would say it is a proven formula for well known, well liked, well received cast of rogues that help Batman be the character that he is from creation to today.