What's new

Where to get started in mkx?

Look at it this way:

- Fight the CPU if you want to get better at fighting the CPU.
- Fight other players if you want to get better at fighting human players.

The CPU requires very different strategies when compared to human players, most notably because at higher difficulties, the CPU reads your inputs and does actions accordingly. In a player vs player match, you both have to make decisions in the game without knowing what the other will do, which differentiates it from a CPU fight.

If you want to get better at player vs player, look at the forums here on TYM and learn things like combos, general game plan and see what sort of tech you can find. You can do these things in practice mode (or 'the lab' as it is often called). Remember not to only focus on a few combos, but learn to convert any touch into as much damage as you can. Knowing only one specific combo that you will rarely hit in an actual match does very little for you.

If you have further questions, send me a message and I'll help you out. If you're on Xbox One or PC you can also add me if you want. Tag is DDutchguy.
Thank you for the gracious offer to practice with me, but i use ps4, but I will definitely take you up on your offer to ask questions, I spend a lot of time in practice mode hard with the super meter set to 1bar, I have viewed forums for kombos, made notes, and have learned a large amount of kombos first starting off small 12 to 18 percent and after months of play when I could land them when I had advantage over the opponent and land them on a consistent bases, only then did I start to legthen them to 25 to 32 percent, did this against 5 characters, learned their safe vs unsafe and then after a long time began to fight against another set of characters, for me this has really helped, with time when I become fair at the game and have a soild base of character I can fight against with my main cryo and gm and have confidence I will venture online. And begin to play, this way I will be able to compete somewhat and like before, keep playing online and get better

Last edited:
Start with someone with simple, easy to learn combos but has something difficult about them such as special cancels or running in a combo to help you learn different techniques rather than the specific character. I recommend Sub Zero. His combos are easy, his run speed is fast and he's a great character that can be used well online when it's lagging.

Go into Player Match and grind it out with someone at the same level as you or slightly worse. It's good to find someone equal because you can learn where you make mistakes (with sub-zero your first mistake guaranteed will be waking up with Slide or Icy Slide and getting a full punish) but also where you're good.
What are subs other mistakes in your opinion that I will most likely make

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Since the meta-patch, I made some mistakes with playing an old friend here, so I'll fill you in.

1) Since they nerfed too much the stamina, it's wise to dash. Use the run only in the combos. If you happen to freeze-zone your opponent, try doing double dash forward.
2) Use the EX Slide only rarely to get out of hard matches. Do not spam using the EX Slide. You'll need it to get out of the corner.
3) Work with the improved D1, S1 and F1 to improve much your kombos. The old strings became fast, so you'll most likely miss some after the meta-patch.
4) Since your opponents learned the patch, it's wise to stay behind the Ice Klone as much as you can, because some of these characters have still hurtboxes issues not touching the Ice Klone. Touch the Ice Klone and you get frozen spot on. This is not happening to some characters, like D'Vorah, so it's better to check which char can get through the Ice Klone, and if you see that, create your Ice Klone and jump/dash away.

Play good players, extremely important. If you mostly play in ranked like me you'll learn bad habits that are hard to get rid of.
Ranked? I thought ranked was the place where the good players played? I mean I'm under the impression casuals is for people like me that are not too good, then when you trust yourself you move on to ranked? Also I'd like to add thst I've never played ranked because if there's some guys that decimate me in casuals why would I play ranked lol.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I think most Subs are struggling in the anti air department after frost bomb died. Be sure to practice s1 anti airs vs the weaker to average jump ins. But the dumber ones like Alien, Sub, Ermac, Scorpion, etc are a huge pain in the ass now.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Ranked? I thought ranked was the place where the good players played? I mean I'm under the impression casuals is for people like me that are not too good, then when you trust yourself you move on to ranked? Also I'd like to add thst I've never played ranked because if there's some guys that decimate me in casuals why would I play ranked lol.
Both are mostly scrubs. Ranked I play if I just want a quick one or only have like 20 minutes to play or something.

Since the meta-patch, I made some mistakes with playing an old friend here, so I'll fill you in.

1) Since they nerfed too much the stamina, it's wise to dash. Use the run only in the combos. If you happen to freeze-zone your opponent, try doing double dash forward.
2) Use the EX Slide only rarely to get out of hard matches. Do not spam using the EX Slide. You'll need it to get out of the corner.
3) Work with the improved D1, S1 and F1 to improve much your kombos. The old strings became fast, so you'll most likely miss some after the meta-patch.
4) Since your opponents learned the patch, it's wise to stay behind the Ice Klone as much as you can, because some of these characters have still hurtboxes issues not touching the Ice Klone. Touch the Ice Klone and you get frozen spot on. This is not happening to some characters, like D'Vorah, so it's better to check which char can get through the Ice Klone, and if you see that, create your Ice Klone and jump/dash away.
Thanks will definitely apply your advise as I practice in the lab

I think most Subs are struggling in the anti air department after frost bomb died. Be sure to practice s1 anti airs vs the weaker to average jump ins. But the dumber ones like Alien, Sub, Ermac, Scorpion, etc are a huge pain in the ass now.
Correct me if iam wrong, with cryo he got his cold blooded cancelability removed, lost his armor for ex hammer and frost bomb, and please correct me if iam wrong, but his f33 has a gap if it is blocked as you cancel it into hammer, ex hammer, burst and bomb, so here is my question for you, what is cryo best wake up move and what is gm best wake up, iam now really beginning to put a lot of lab time Into learning gm, there is a lot of complexity to his IK kombos let alone male vs female uses for the IK, and iam beginning to really like him also, I am glad that I listened to all of you nice folks who advised me to learn gm over the long haul, I give a thanks to everyone of you

My advice play a rush down char with 50/50 and think you're good. Then pick up a space control char realize there's an entirely different style to play the game. Fuse the two together and learn from there. My journey cassie at release then Tanya Kitana back to cassie then hell fire scorpion. Then ninjitsu scorpion the spacing character then back cassie. Now with a better knowledge of spacing the benefit of a backdash and the importance of good pokes and normals. Granted I'm still rather bad a certain aspects of the game I feel as though with these skills I can adapt to make my games more competitive.

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
PRACTICE FUNDAMENTALS! These are the essentials of any fighting game and you can always get better. After that learn your frame data by heart and know your limits. After that it's just a steady progression till you learn everything and begin to be able to hone your skills. Start with the weaker areas and then go to the areas you're stronger in.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
you dont ever want to be focusing on your own character, you should know what youre doing. always stay focused on what your opponent is doing (except for when you are combo'ing or whatever)

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Correct me if iam wrong, with cryo he got his cold blooded cancelability removed, lost his armor for ex hammer and frost bomb, and please correct me if iam wrong, but his f33 has a gap if it is blocked as you cancel it into hammer, ex hammer, burst and bomb, so here is my question for you, what is cryo best wake up move and what is gm best wake up, iam now really beginning to put a lot of lab time Into learning gm, there is a lot of complexity to his IK kombos let alone male vs female uses for the IK, and iam beginning to really like him also, I am glad that I listened to all of you nice folks who advised me to learn gm over the long haul, I give a thanks to everyone of you
EX slide is his wakeup now. It is unsafe but almost impossible to stuff.