What's new

Where does the line between reactable and non-reactable fall for you?

Where on the Spidey scale of reaction time are you?

• Total voters

JTB123

>>R2 - BF4 = Unblockable.
This is something I've been meaning to post for a while just never got around to. I'm sure we've all heard someone say "you can totally block move X on reaction man" and then you go and check out the start up and think to yourself "there is no way that is reactable!".

So I'm curious to see where this falls for everyone, for me personally I think it's anything less than 20 frames and even then I have to be really in the zone to nail it consistently but 20 for me is my absolute minimum anything quicker that is blocked was a read, not a reaction.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
i say 20-22 is average, and 17-19 is min you react to
alot people can see 17-19 but by the time they press the button for it to act the action you want it too and animation of where to block (High/Low) your losing 2-3 frames by that alone(depending on what Console/Pad/Stick/Tv your using)

Last edited:

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
There is lots of numbers thrown around. But you can never look at frame data and say "well this is reactable and this isnt" because animation plays a big role for things that are borderline reactable. People saying they can react to 13-15 frame moves are generally just full of shit though. One of the first things I learned from fighting game forums is that people will always claim they can react to unreactable things.

JTB123

>>R2 - BF4 = Unblockable.
There is lots of numbers thrown around. But you can never look at frame data and say "well this is reactable and this isnt" because animation plays a big role for things that are borderline reactable. People saying they can react to 13-15 frame moves are generally just full of shit though. One of the first things I learned from fighting game forums is that people will always claim they can react to unreactable things.
Animation does play a huge factor into it I agree, this poll is just in general to get an idea really. That said I think the more you see an animation the more your brain can differentiate between separate ones of a similar speed.

I misread this thread... I can react to 17-19 frame moves and block... the realm for me is 14-16...

I think with tons of practice people would be surprised how well they can block.

E

Eldriken

Like @Youphemism, right? :DOGE

Sorry, man. I had to do it.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
Heres something interesting this http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime

the Median is 215 so by going that or any number you get, i got 230 on my best try lol

215/1000 x 100 = give you 21.5

then to convert that to frames reverse the Syntax

21.5 x 60/100 = 12.9 frames lol

but if thats the median (so called) then why doesn't anyone react that fast? a couple of reasons imo

1. You can press your Pad/Stick that fast but it will take a frame or 2 or 3 (more depending) by the time it process it to your Console to commit the action, Memory mapping and all that
2.You may not think it but to block, that can take a frame or 2 to act its properties
3.As Dizzy said the way moves animate is a MAJOR part of why we can and cant react, think of it this way, if you see a train and a rock where about to hit you in the face and they where both traveling at the same speed,both are instant death ,which one do you think you react to the fastest? (I know bad analogy im tired lol)
4.This Test you only have to do 1 thing, you have an idea when its coming and its only 1 thing coming to react to, as opposed to a Fighting Game when theres alot of things happening at once that your mind has to juggle and transit between thoughts, so imagine if this test made you press different buttons for different colors i dont think people be hitting that median ha

Now theres also a good chance im talking from my ass again.

Last edited:

RYX

BIG PUSHER
if you tell me what move you're about to do then I can probably block it

im pretty good

SoapBar

My pussy, my rules
:eek:Are you telling me all those Batgirl players is lyin'?!

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I am more concerned with conditioning my opponent. By definition and pure frame data, a move can be considered reactable. All of this changes when your reactions turn to patterns and I change my patterns to counter yours.

My 22 frame overhead with Nightwing hits people all the time because they are so conditioned to block ground pound.

Is 22 frames reactable? Yes and no. does conditioning play a role in all of this? Yes

The average reaction time is around .2 to .25 seconds, so it is assumed a person can "react" to 12-15" at the least.

However, there's a ton of other factors that affect reactions. First, you have to be looking for the specific move to react to it. If your too focused looking for another move, reaction time is delayed. Also factor in the amount of time it takes for a person to actually press/hold block, and it to register in the game. That alone can add an additional 3-6 frames give or take.

For example, Fuudo has insane reactions for a SF4 player. However, if you watch him play, there are times when a player can still jump in on him in neutral. Reason being, if he's too focused looking for a special, walk in grab, or poke, it delays his reaction to anti-air. This is why in SF4 a player like Daigo can walk up grab without fear, because the opposing player is too busy looking for a whiff punish or jump in.

Also, conditioning as mentioned previously is also important as well. If you get your opponent to focus on one aspect of your game, it's difficult for them to react to others. Just my 2 cents. :D

Reaction time.

Single response reaction time is around 12-15 frames. That is, something happens, and you do something in response. You don't react to what it is: "when this light flashes, no matter what color, raise your hand"

Reaction time to a given stimuli out of multiple possibilities "if this light flashes green, raise your right hand, if it flashes red, do not raise your right hand" is about 20-23 frames

In the fighting game context, you are usually referring to the latter.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
I voted 20-22, but honestly, a HUGE part of it comes from the animation itself.

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
A lot of it is animation dependent, but in my experience, anything around 20 or under in generally is basically unreactable for most. I don't personally have the best reactions... I'd say 24+ I can react to if I know the animation.