What's new

Question Where are the Cyborgs?

I dont think he needs iafbs either

But then I learned them anyway.... win ratio goes up 0_o

People are learning him now that they realize how good he is. In the tristate area it looks to be only me, magnetohalfway, hatiansensation, cd jr, and now I guess arturo sanchez is learning him

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
I was trying to make him my fun casual secondary, but I actually want to take him seriously so I have two really strong characters cause right now I only have one.

Midscreen damage wise he reminds me of how I play Hawkgirl, but he obviously has stronger zoning.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Why haven't people realized how good Cyborg is...?
Because he is not that good.

He has Kabal's instant aerial gas blasts. That is it. No nomad dash cancels. No flash parry. No buzzsaw. No footsies. No resets.

What is left is most likely no better than a high mid tier character.

Relaxedstate

PTH|RM Relaxedstate
Why haven't people realized how good Cyborg is...?
My theory is that he has somewhat high execution for only marginal rewards. Why learn IANB or SD-Cancels, or very strict grapple hook set-ups when you could just learn a better character like superman who is easier to use lol

IAFB and missile zoning only work well (but extraordinarily well at that) against a select few characters... many characters have a very easy time getting around them. I think we all saw IAFB and though Kabal..but we were fooled. At least Kabal could combo full screen from IAFB lol

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Because he is not that good.

He has Kabal's instant aerial gas blasts. That is it. No nomad dash cancels. No flash parry. No buzzsaw. No footsies. No resets.

What is left is most likely no better than a high mid tier character.
Stop looking at him like this is MK9. Traversing his iaNB isn't as easy as iaGB because of the movement, so his zoning game by default is already stronger, and on top of this, he has a low jump arc that makes him hard to anti air on reaction. Unlike Kabal, also, he has an armored escape option that can be used in either direction, which can make him hard to pin down, and when combined with missiles, he can initiate short bursts of offense to keep himself away from corners. On top of this, he is a power character.

He is the best zoner in the game. There are too many characters that cannot maneuver through his zoning game that well. And I'm pretty sure tackle helps his lacking footsies.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Stop looking at him like this is MK9. Traversing his iaNB isn't as easy as iaGB because of the movement, so his zoning game by default is already stronger, and on top of this, he has a low jump arc that makes him hard to anti air on reaction. Unlike Kabal, also, he has an armored escape option that can be used in either direction, which can make him hard to pin down, and when combined with missiles, he can initiate short bursts of offense to keep himself away from corners. On top of this, he is a power character.

He is the best zoner in the game. There are too many characters that cannot maneuver through his zoning game that well. And I'm pretty sure tackle helps his lacking footsies.
Kabal's iaGBs are still better than Cyborg's iaNBs. Kabal can shoot them faster and combo from AA iaGB while Cyborg can shoot them lower.

But tell me, what are Cyborg's mix ups? Footsies? Pressure strings? Combos? Pre-patch Deathstroke was so much better than Cyborg. Stop overrating this character. He has iaNBs. Nothing else.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Kabal's iaGBs are still better than Cyborg's iaNBs. Kabal can shoot them faster and combo from AA iaGB while Cyborg can shoot them lower.

But tell me, what are Cyborg's mix ups? Footsies? Pressure strings? Combos? Pre-patch Deathstroke was so much better than Cyborg. Stop overrating this character. He has iaNBs. Nothing else.
Kabal can shoot them faster, but again, there are a lot of characters who cannot get through them as fast as you can get through Kabal's. Also, Kabal cannot just up and propel himself to opposite sides of the screen.

Also, when it comes to footsies, because you are forced to crouch low to avoid his zoning option, and the fact that tackle exists opens up Cyborg's b3 and f3, and anything to sonic blast is solid, considering it's +3 on block with pushback and throws you across the screen on hit. His jump arc being low helps alleviate his short range, as well. No his offense isn't good...guess what? Neither was Freddy's. Still a very good character.

This is not MK9. You don't have the ability to cancel dashes. This automatically ramps up the viability of his zoning, even if it is a nerfed form of Kabal's. There are system mechanics that are extremely favorable to him, such as how the meter build works in this game and the existence of pushblock. There are also characters who do not handle it well. Bane, arguably Grundy, NW, GL, HG, Batman, Superman, Joker, Black Adam, WW, Shazam, etc. Some of these characters are top tier.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Kabal can shoot them faster, but again, there are a lot of characters who cannot get through them as fast as you can get through Kabal's. Also, Kabal cannot just up and propel himself to opposite sides of the screen.

Also, when it comes to footsies, because you are forced to crouch low to avoid his zoning option, and the fact that tackle exists opens up Cyborg's b3 and f3, and anything to sonic blast is solid, considering it's +3 on block with pushback and throws you across the screen on hit. His jump arc being low helps alleviate his short range, as well. No his offense isn't good...guess what? Neither was Freddy's. Still a very good character.

This is not MK9. You don't have the ability to cancel dashes. This automatically ramps up the viability of his zoning, even if it is a nerfed form of Kabal's. There are system mechanics that are extremely favorable to him, such as how the meter build works in this game and the existence of pushblock. There are also characters who do not handle it well. Bane, arguably Grundy, NW, GL, HG, Batman, Superman, Joker, Black Adam, WW, Shazam, etc. Some of these characters are top tier.
At least Freddy has a safe 50/50 mix up with one bar of meter which is enough to break down opponents. Cyborg has no mix ups whatsoever. His strings also suffer from "Jax Symptoms". b+1 whiffs on some characters. As does the second hit of b+2,3,1. The last hit of 1,1,2 can be backdashed at all times. d+1 xx Sonic Blast can be interrupted on block. If the opponent gets a life lead, how can Cyborg catch up?

You do not think that players like CD Jr. and REO would pick Cyborg in a heartbeat if he were a better character? Of course, they would. Cyborg is arguably the heaviest execution character in the game. Why would you pick him over Batman, Black Adam, Killer Frost, etc. ? These characters require little to no execution and are superior to Cyborg anyway.

Chrishaspads

Name isn't Chris, Doesn't have pads
At least Freddy has a safe 50/50 mix up with one bar of meter which is enough to break down opponents. Cyborg has no mix ups whatsoever. His strings also suffer from "Jax Symptoms". b+1 whiffs on some characters. As does the second hit of b+2,3,1. The last hit of 1,1,2 can be backdashed at all times. d+1 xx Sonic Blast can be interrupted on block. If the opponent gets a life lead, how can Cyborg catch up?

You do not think that players like CD Jr. and REO would pick Cyborg in a heartbeat if he were a better character? Of course, they would. Cyborg is arguably the heaviest execution character in the game. Why would you pick him over Batman, Black Adam, Killer Frost, etc. ? These characters require little to no execution and are superior to Cyborg anyway.
it sucks but he is right /: cy is really execution heavy especially online. It is still doable online since a lot of people aren't that good but you can just pick grundy and win 10x's easier.

Jun_Dp101

Don't mess with the bess
ye cyborgs normals, strings and combo potential are terrible. He does have the best zoning in the game however and anybody who even slightly struggles vs zoners will have a nightmare vs cyborg. Also this game caters heavily to zoning character b/c so much stuff sends u full screen eg interactables, throws, clashes

Jun_Dp101

Don't mess with the bess

His jump arc is not harder to anti air than anybody elses, superman doomsday or aquaman certainly have no problem aaing him. I do agree with cyborg having the best zoning in the game, and yes with no dash block like in mk his ianb and missiles are pretty damn tough to get around for the majority of the cast

His strings also suffer from "Jax Symptoms". b+1 whiffs on some characters. As does the second hit of b+2,3,1. The last hit of 1,1,2 can be backdashed at all times. d+1 xx Sonic Blast can be interrupted on block. If the opponent gets a life lead, how can Cyborg catch up?

Ayo B, in ma part of town, all this shit you just said, we refer to that shit as, Real Fuckin Rap.

Relaxedstate

PTH|RM Relaxedstate

Tackle can be ducked and full combo punished on reaction dude.... it is a nice combo ender as it can set up an oki game with MB in the corner. But I don't know how this is his best 'footsie' tool. An opponent should have absolutely no respect for it as it is high risk...no reward. He isn't the best zoner either. Sinestro has huge amounts of set-ups with his tools. Cyborg is pretty one dimensional zoning. The only reason I even get away with shit is because people have no idea what they are doing yet. Death stroke is also arguably a better zoner still.

He is really good. Very good, especially against certain cast members, including S tier characters like Black Adam or Green Lantern... but overall he loses a lot of viability once his opponents figure out what to do.

Grapplehook overhead is very easily anti-aired, and his low jump ark is still easily anti-aired?

Better than most characters, but not as good as the best I think

IKizzLE

BloodHound
I don't think Cyborg is as good as people say he is. He has some matchups that are overwhelmingly in his favor(grundy) and others where he gets his back blown out(Aquaman,Raven,KillerFrost,etc). Cyborg is a super safe character with all his strings either safe or positive on block and great zoning(definitely not the best zoner in the game, I really want to SHATTER this myth with video but I'm too lazy) but he has no way to open up a turtler. He is also terrible when recovering from a life deficit. His lack of damage makes it hard to compete with a lot of characters in the game. There really is nothing stopping a character from ducking full screen then walking forward if overhead missiles are coming. People who lose to cyborg either don't know what the hell they are doing and I'm getting away with murder or are simply impatient. Relaxed said it best, one dimensional zoning. There is nothing tricky about it.

Cyborg is nothing like Kabal. In fact, cyborg wouldn't even be top 5 if he was placed in the metagame of MK. Right now he is a good character that is grossly overrated to broken tier. And all the people who put Cyborg in their top 5 won't use him throughout an entire tournament.

This reminds me a lot of the Sektor uplaying back in the first year of MK. He was that character that everyone said "Yea, Sektor is top. He's a beast. Yaddyyaa" But not a single person would use him throughout a tournament. We just saw TYM's best?!? Cyborg player go to green lantern when shit got rough. CDjr wouldn't dare run all cyborg at a Major like ECT, UFGT, FR, EVO, etc. cuz he's not an idiot.

But hey, what do I know, I'm a scrub....:(

Sidenote: Every one of cyborg's strings can be interrupted.
112 +18 on block? Atleast a 9 frame gap in between the 1 and 2. I've been full combo punished consistently online by Aquaman.
d1~Sonic Disrupter +3 on block? The gap is so massive that its borderline funny. In fact, any string into sonic disrupter can get blown up with relative ease. His strings are easier to blow up than sektors. People are blowing up his strings online in month 1. Can't wait till year 1 gets here. People STILL cant blow up sektors strings offline in tourny 2 years later smh.
Also can't tell you how many times b1 and b21 have completely whiffed my opponents.

I honestly don't know what type of player would choose cyborg unless they actually liked the character (my dumbass). People who like to zone can choose more varied options. People who like to rushdown can pick about 24 better options. And people who like to play in that mid range, control space and have strong footsies can just pick the characters that have been winning and getting top 8 at majors.