What's new

Match-up Discussion When to poke out of pressure

snort

Noob
Down 3 does wonders, always my go to to get out of pressure. Two down 3's into jump over punch into rune traps or down 3 to 112. I hardly ever use ex skydrop.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
Let the Quanfather Take the floor.

Dont jump against cage, ever. Dont jump out of pressure dont jump at him dont jump away from him(ok maybe sometimes). Wait patiently for a d3, and be ready to counter. If you time it right your at +12 which will give you a free D4 ex rune which creates space, reverses momentum, and you can either backdash and continue zoning or go for a rune trap, or mixup, whichever you wish. You can uppercut 11F1 after you block the first hit, let go of block and just mash that shit. Same with F32, the 2 can be ducked and uppercutted. Not too many cages use that anymore though. if they whiff a f212 you can interrupt it before it hits you with 112 trance, but the timing is tricky.

Kabal. Remember that after a F4 reset he gets a free 2NDC into another mixup so you have to wait until hes done that to react and poke out. F32 NDC leaves him at +3 i believe. 90% of kabals i faced follow it up with a d3 since its guaranteed, so wait, and counter. I usually go into b3 1+2 after a hit d3 against kabal cuz most kabals buffer the next move not expecting to get hit. Thats about all I know about Kabals Pressure but it makes the MU a ton easier for me. Hopefully it helps you out. W00lay Quan Children <3

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!

Dont jump against cage, ever. Dont jump out of pressure dont jump at him dont jump away from him(ok maybe sometimes). Wait patiently for a d3, and be ready to counter. If you time it right your at +12 which will give you a free D4 ex rune which creates space, reverses momentum, and you can either backdash and continue zoning or go for a rune trap, or mixup, whichever you wish. You can uppercut 11F1 after you block the first hit, let go of block and just mash that shit. Same with F32, the 2 can be ducked and uppercutted. Not too many cages use that anymore though. if they whiff a f212 you can interrupt it before it hits you with 112 trance, but the timing is tricky.

Kabal. Remember that after a F4 reset he gets a free 2NDC into another mixup so you have to wait until hes done that to react and poke out. F32 NDC leaves him at +3 i believe. 90% of kabals i faced follow it up with a d3 since its guaranteed, so wait, and counter. I usually go into b3 1+2 after a hit d3 against kabal cuz most kabals buffer the next move not expecting to get hit. Thats about all I know about Kabals Pressure but it makes the MU a ton easier for me. Hopefully it helps you out. W00lay Quan Children <3
but if u can jump out against cage mid pressure and get a full combo, why not?

STB Shujinkydink

because its not worth the risk of getting full combo'd into a reset and allowing him to build meter for a breaker from chip damage. I would suggest only doing that in a do or die situation

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™

Almost none of cage's pressure will allow you to full combo by jumping over him. All of his single hit normals recover too fast, and his multi hit ones bring him forward.

i like everything you said. most good cages probably won't whiff 21f2 but some cages do start that string from around mid screen and its fairly easy to punish. idk if i'd try to upper cut f32. you prolly wont be expecting the 2 and what i like to do after f32 is d3 or d1, so the upper cut might miss. idk what the recovery is on f32 so if you arent expecting the 2 you might do uppercut too late and i could block it. like i said im not sure what the recovery is on f32 so im not sure. i dont use it a lot against quan, but if the recovery is fast enough to block the uppercut than its probably better to just d1 or d3 after that string.

kanaida

Kanaida (MK9 Dashboard for android)
u'll never block a good cages nutpunch...or rather a good cage will never do nutpunch on block.
Well, do what I did to train my gf to know the exact times to poke and get out. Go into training mode 1 vs 1, get a friend to play as johnny and let him keep pressing forwards doing all the little crap that he does. Then you grab your controller, block or hit until you get a hang of what gets you out. After about 1/2 hour of doing this, without jumping my girl pushed cage all the way across the arena to the other side practically without getting hit. Each character is different so it's important to experiment, for example since she used kitana, she blocked and paid attention to the kicks, then did d1, d1, 212 and cage was nullified completely. Quan is a bit slower so maybe block, d3, d3, d4, teleport (haven't tried this, just an example.)

I do this with each area she has a problem with, the last time it was vs fireball spamming. Next is vs people that keep attacking while you're trying to get up (wakeup training). The nice thing about the training arena is that you can accidentally learn new things. You're pretty lucky that quan has that unblockable screen high ex fireball pillar, try stuff with that.

Usually after that I change the AI to normal, then after she's beating that guy pretty good I go right to the hardest setting. After that point she obtains the muscle memory so that it's a reflex now.

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
Damn son.. You got that girl on the p90x of MK.

But for real... don't jump out of Cage pressure unless you're gonna backflip into some Van Damme shit and score the win.

kanaida

lol... so true. When she started about 6 months ago or so, she didn't even know the color of the xbox buttons.
First I taught her reflex uppercuts and when to land them, then what her other basic attacks were, then basic combos, then special moves. After that landing jump punches and kicks (she always did them too early). Then we went straight to ranked online. Get some real world exp points. Learned what chars gave her trouble (scorpion/noob/ermac/mileena), went offline and came up with a default defensive stance vs each char. For example just ducking without blocking is the best for scorpion, and ocassionally jumping over fire. stand blocking for smoke and mileena. etc... after she got training v.s each char we took it online and little by little everything fell into place. She can take on 31's now, and that's not using and large big ass complicated combos either. just fundamentals. I can safely let her play in my account now while i go to the bathroom :) Keep in mind we played every day at least 1-4 hours. What I learned is that knowing bigger combos doesn't pay off vs a fundamental fighter with excellent blocking. What helps quite a bit as well is NOT using any bars for breakers during online fights. Pretend like they're not there, you'll improve. The last thing is overcoming the low life panic (mentally)... cover it up with a towel, and watch how much better you fight when you don't care about low life.

STB Shujinkydink

Well put kanaida, fundamentals are what seperates a good player from an excellent one. Being patient in the worst of times is possibly the hardest but most important one IMO. Especially for quan, given his general unsafeness

KingRey

Noob
Well put kanaida, fundamentals are what seperates a good player from an excellent one. Being patient in the worst of times is possibly the hardest but most important one IMO. Especially for quan, given his general unsafeness
I can't agree more guys. The hardest transition for me was learning how to be patient and not jump out of pressure. Also learning how to be patient and think about senarios all while being combo'd. You don't want to break when it is not necessary. You have to be able to recognize combos and know which ones are worthy of breaking and which ones you can let them finish and save your meter. With meter you will always have the comback factor.

kanaida

Yup. What I would recommend to be an animal with quan is mastering the teleport reflex when anyone jumps. If you can nail it each and every time (no quan i've seen does that), esentially you become a wall against pressure. Then when you have them nailed to the floor keep em at bay with the trance and hand combos. I think personally that people online aren't using him tactically. I just see, teleport, kick slap combo, trance repeat... I think his ex green skull has potential for comboing since it seems to stagger them. I think when you teleport and they're in the air, you land first so you can experiment with 1,1,2 before they land too.